Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Ive done nothing
1  2  Next

ClaRivka

Post Thu, Oct 01 2009, 5:46 pm
Its almost 5 pm and I have hardly done a thing for yontif. were having guests and family sleep and eat here and ive only taken care of the fish! my sleeping schedule has ben totally off for the past 2 weeks, I went to sleep at 5 am and woke up at 1 pm!
there is just sooo much to do...I dont kno how its going to get done.
I've also got a really bad stomachache and feel sick!
I wonder what would happen if I had nothing done for yontif when my guests get here tomorrow.

lilacdreams

Post Thu, Oct 01 2009, 5:53 pm
well I am often not home last minute (I am a doula) so I know the tricks of getting YT done pronto.
friday night:
buy premade salads and jarred gefilte fish.
make soup (that isnt hard)
throw chicken/meat in with a ton of carrots/onions sweet pots regular potatoes in a cooking bag, add some BBQ sauce - yummy
make cous cous - very easy

dessert - make brownies or buy cake, or get guests to bring somehting

lunch: chollent and cold cuts and mabe premade shnitzel....voila - takes maybe 2 hours - probably less Smile

Raisin

Post Thu, Oct 01 2009, 5:54 pm
you can always cook for the sunday meal on sunday morning. don't stress, make simple recipes without too many steps. send dh out for some ready made kugels and soup if you are really desperate.

include lots of salads that you can make on shabbos/yom tov.

I usually have a dream the night before yt that it is 10 minutes to candlelighting and nothing is done.

pinktichel

Post Thu, Oct 01 2009, 7:11 pm
Raisin wrote:
I usually have a dream the night before yt that it is 10 minutes to candlelighting and nothing is done.

So I'm not the only crazy one! (Not that you're crazy, but you know what I mean!) I have this nightmare before every YT too!!

ClaRivka

Post Thu, Oct 01 2009, 7:19 pm
pinktichel wrote:
Raisin wrote:

So I'm not the only crazy one! (Not that you're crazy, but you know what I mean!) I have this nightmare before every YT too!!

my mother has that dream too.

I cant buy pre made kugels and salads bc theyre all disgusting here...

yOungM0mmy

Post Thu, Oct 01 2009, 7:23 pm
pinktichel wrote:
Raisin wrote:

Hey, me too! And that all of a sudden I have extra people show up, and I know I have one more roll of gefilte fish in the freezer, but how does that (or 3 cans of tuna, etc) feed 30 people (or 150 people!)... Seriously have had too many of these dreams to count!

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Oct 01 2009, 7:52 pm
clarivka, do you have a blender? this is a quick and easy potato kugel recipe-- makes two kugels.

2 eggs
1/2 cup oil
1 onion
5 potatoes
salt
pepper

put all ingredients in blender, liquid first. blend. pour into two kugel pans. bake at 350 for 1.5 hours or until toothpick comes out clean.

you'll get compliments on this, and it only takes a few minutes. and the potatoes won't go grey, so it looks more appetizing than some other really yummy potato kugels.

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Oct 01 2009, 7:58 pm
I forgot to mention that the onion should be quartered and the potatoes should be sliced into large chunks. smaller chunks if your blender is a piece of junk (like mine).

ClaRivka

Post Thu, Oct 01 2009, 8:19 pm
thanks mummiedearerst, I have the same recipe. I find it so much easier to cut up potatoes, sprinkle olive oil on and onion soup mix and bake. theyre sooo good.

Isramom8

Post Thu, Oct 01 2009, 8:24 pm
Raisin wrote:
you can always cook for the sunday meal on sunday morning. don't stress, make simple recipes without too many steps. send dh out for some ready made kugels and soup if you are really desperate.

include lots of salads that you can make on shabbos/yom tov.

OMG - and here I'm thinking WHAT Sunday meal, YT is on Shabbos! Lucky for me I'm not forgetting something after all...

I had a dream where guests brought their own ground beef which I fried as hamburgers just before serving the seuda, which felt embarrassing in the dream.

Since moving to a not-all-frum place, I dreamed that Pesach arrived and I hadn't remembered.

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Oct 01 2009, 8:27 pm
ClaRivka wrote:
thanks mummiedearerst, I have the same recipe. I find it so much easier to cut up potatoes, sprinkle olive oil on and onion soup mix and bake. theyre sooo good.

well, then, get going Smile

once you get started you'll feel accomplished and cook up a storm. I did today. and I've been coughing up a storm too. but the cooking/baking kept my mind off of the cough.

cookies, anyone?

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Oct 01 2009, 8:29 pm
well-begun is half-done

as long as you know what you're cooking, and how much, you'll be fine.

Annie

Post Thu, Oct 01 2009, 10:00 pm
just get started. You can do it. I was so exhausted after getting home at 4 after running around with the kids all day that I was sure I would never get done what I needed to get done today. Then, I pushed a little bit, and said well, let me at least get the challah started and once I got going, I got challah done, my mushroom/barley soup done, brownies baked and fish baked. I also decided that I didn't need to make an extra cake. Now I'm exhausted, but at least I feel slightly accomplished. I just hope it stops thundering so my kids will actually sleep.

ClaRivka

Post Thu, Oct 01 2009, 10:23 pm
I started and im doing well. ive got 9 things to do before I go to sleep.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Oct 01 2009, 10:27 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
clarivka, do you have a blender? this is a quick and easy potato kugel recipe-- makes two kugels.

2 eggs
1/2 cup oil
1 onion
5 potatoes
salt
pepper

put all ingredients in blender, liquid first. blend. pour into two kugel pans. bake at 350 for 1.5 hours or until toothpick comes out clean.

you'll get compliments on this, and it only takes a few minutes. and the potatoes won't go grey, so it looks more appetizing than some other really yummy potato kugels.

Wow, this is splendid! Blender? Do you mean I don't have to take out and clean the food processor in order to make kugel? Maybe I'll make dh some kugel for Friday afternoon afterall!
Do all 5 potatoes fit into a standard size blender at one time?
Thanks for posting this mummiedearest!

Hatzlacha with everything ClaRivka. I know what it's like!

ClaRivka

Post Thu, Oct 01 2009, 10:36 pm
ra mom you have to cut the potatoes really small so that they will blend

3Qts

Post Thu, Oct 01 2009, 10:39 pm
I make kugel in a blender but dont kid yourself...A food processor is alot better!

ra_mom

Post Thu, Oct 01 2009, 10:42 pm
Okay ladies... thanks for the heads up!

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Oct 01 2009, 11:07 pm
what's so hard about taking out a food processor.

also, my ratio is 1 egg per potato, and I bake it at 400 for 2 hours.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Oct 01 2009, 11:11 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
what's so hard about taking out a food processor.

also, my ratio is 1 egg per potato, and I bake it at 400 for 2 hours.

I don't know! I just hate taking out the appliances...
I think it has to do with the washing and cleaning up afterwards. The bigger the machine, the bigger the mess.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics