Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
How do you cook bola roast?????

Raisin

Post Fri, Oct 02 2009, 6:17 am
anyone?

bubby

Post Fri, Oct 02 2009, 7:25 am
Can you hold on? I tried calling my mother, Mrs. Butcher, but she's not home. As soon as I know I'll post.

freidasima

Post Fri, Oct 02 2009, 7:26 am
Pardon my ignorance but what is a bola roast? What type of roast meat?

bubby

Post Fri, Oct 02 2009, 7:36 am
I think it's called a chuck kolichel in the US. But I could be wrong. My mother knows all this stuff. I stick to French roast Question Question & chopped meat.

Raisin

Post Fri, Oct 02 2009, 8:07 am
after a bit of googling it seems to be related to blade. I'm pot roasting it anyway, which is what I would do with blade. it was one of the cheaper cuts so I'm assuming it needs braising.

nylon

Post Fri, Oct 02 2009, 8:30 am
Yes, bola is chuck. Pot roast it. Some people use it for roast beef, but I wouldn't (I stick to rib--pricey, but everyone can chew it Wink )

Interestingly, the term bola seems to have died out in non-kosher butchers in the UK (I once poked around when I was trying to learn the names for all the British cuts, even the treif ones so I would know which ones I couldn't use) but it survives in kosher butchers.

freidasima

Post Fri, Oct 02 2009, 8:38 am
Kolichel I know but never heard either of "bola" or "blade" what languages are they supposed to be? English?
Anyhow, brown, put in roaster with water, onions and tomato paste and spices, cover with aluminum foil and roast at 350 (190) for 2 hours or so, then see if it is cooked inside.
Enjoy.

bubby

Post Fri, Oct 02 2009, 9:00 am
I would think you can cook it like any other piece of meat. I'm embarrassed that I don't remember these things, being a butcher's daughter, but when I was in UK I just told my father I wanted a 5lb roast & I cooked what I was given! Who knew or cared what it was? Probably was the stuff he couldn't sell. That's what we used to eat when I was young. Sometimes we got very lucky... LOL

I was thinking about getting a roast for YT, but we're out for 2 meals.

Mrs Bissli

Post Fri, Oct 02 2009, 9:09 am
DON'T USE DRY ROAST on Bola. I did it for Rosh Hashanah and my Bola turned out to be quite hard/chewy, esp with a sinewy line in the middle. I actually had to recook it with cholent (well, that was delish but why pay more than the cholent meat!)

It is quite lean cut of meat, I would braise/pot-roast slowly. So long as there's enough liquid it should be yummy. I've only seen Bola in the UK.

Raisin

Post Fri, Oct 02 2009, 9:57 am
when I googled it also came up as spelt bolar, I assume the same cut.

seems I did the right thing, thanks for your help.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus