Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Do you wash after the bathroom OUTSIDE the bathroom?
1  2  3  Next

After the bathroom I wash my hands:
In the bathroom  
 58%  [ 66 ]
Outside the bathroom with a cup  
 28%  [ 32 ]
Outside the bathroom without a cup  
 9%  [ 11 ]
I don't wash  
 3%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 113

amother

Post Thu, Oct 08 2009, 6:14 pm
Do you wash your hands in the bathroom or outside the bathroom and why?

gz

Post Thu, Oct 08 2009, 6:22 pm
removed

Last edited by gz on Wed, Feb 27 2019, 7:20 am; edited 1 time in total

red sea

Post Thu, Oct 08 2009, 6:27 pm
Doesn't it depend on where your sink is located???? Pls tell me by outside the bathroom you are referring to european style bathrooms that have sinks outside & not to the kitchen sink.

fiddle

Post Thu, Oct 08 2009, 6:30 pm
wash my hands inside. no cup

amother

Post Thu, Oct 08 2009, 6:33 pm
red sea wrote:
Doesn't it depend on where your sink is located???? Pls tell me by outside the bathroom you are referring to european style bathrooms that have sinks outside & not to the kitchen sink.

Doesn't depend where the sink is. Some homes have a sink outside the bathroom and some don't and the kitchen sink is used for washing with a cup. Washing with soap and water can be done in the bathroom. But many people wash with a cup outside the bathroom because of the tuma in the bathroom.

gz

Post Thu, Oct 08 2009, 6:41 pm
removed

Last edited by gz on Wed, Feb 27 2019, 7:20 am; edited 1 time in total

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Oct 08 2009, 6:42 pm
yes, I washmy hands in the kitchen sink. with soap if it was #2, without if it wasn't.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Oct 08 2009, 6:52 pm
I never took upon myself to wash outside the bathroom. I didn't think I'd always be able to do it.

red sea

Post Thu, Oct 08 2009, 7:05 pm
I cannot stand when pple wash their hands from the bathroom in the kitchen. I guess I must not be that spiritual because washing twice would feel ocd to me.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 08 2009, 7:12 pm
I wash by the kitchen sink, no cup, put each hand under running water, 3 times each, then wigh soap. I always feel guilty after, being that I was tught to was with cup by the kitchen...

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Oct 08 2009, 8:33 pm
red sea as far as I was taught your hands remain tamei if you dont wash them outside the bathroom. no eating or davening if your hands are tamei.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Oct 08 2009, 8:40 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
red sea as far as I was taught your hands remain tamei if you dont wash them outside the bathroom. no eating or davening if your hands are tamei.

Not how I was raised.

red sea

Post Thu, Oct 08 2009, 8:57 pm
Mama Bear wrote:

I guess there are different opinions on it because many people do wash even negel vasser by the bathroom sink. But I suppose there are those who are careful to wash their hands before davening & e/o does before hamotzei, so What , I just get really picky about washing from the bathroom over my dishes and I wash my fruits & veg at the sink in the kitchen to eat, I dont like pple washing from the bathroom there.

Ideally if brooklyn expanded like those little toy dinosaurs that you put in water, I would definately go for the european style bathrooms over the kind we have here, makes a lot more sense.

sky

Post Thu, Oct 08 2009, 9:03 pm
I should but I don't. I wash my hands with soap in the bathroom.

hello

Post Thu, Oct 08 2009, 9:34 pm
Outside with a cup!!!

bashinda

Post Thu, Oct 08 2009, 10:02 pm
I wash with soup in the bathroom then with negel vasser in the kitchen.
err I mean I wash with SOAP in the bathroom. I think I have soup on the brain.

greenfire

Post Fri, Oct 09 2009, 8:03 am
we've had this exact thread before ... careful who you ask Puke

now I couldn't really care less if you wash with a cup in or out of the bathroom ... however, WASH YOUR HANDS WITH SOAP in the BATHROOM first ... holy & clean are two different things ... and nobody wants pee on their dishes

chaylizi

Post Fri, Oct 09 2009, 8:40 am
my rav said that washing your hands isn't the problem, it's drying them in the bathroom.

in any case, I wash my hands with soap in the bathroom & with a negel vasser cup in the kitchen. I would feel very funny washing my hands after using the restroom/changing a diaper in a sink where I have dishes.

freidasima

Post Fri, Oct 09 2009, 9:30 am
The halochos of bathroom are very different today than before plumbing.
Then there were outhouses. And if someone had a chamber in the house the waste went into a chamber pot which remained in the same room, just under a cover.

Today, when you flush, your waste leaves the bathroom. The room may have been used for excretion but it is no dirtier nor is it more tamei than your kitchen once you have flushed.

If you are talking about a room that has a toilet and a sink it is very different than an outhouse with a jug of water. Same BTW goes for negel vasser where you are not allowed to walk 4 amos before having washed, however your entire house is considered your "daled amos" meaning 4 amos, hence you don't have to keep water under your bed and wash there, you can walk to the bathroom, kitchen, wherever and do it.

Understand what "daled amos", "tamei" and "bathroom" mean halochically.
A lot of it today is just personal feeling because a "bathroom" is not what a bathroom used to be when these halochos were codified.
Running water and flushing make all the difference.

So if this is all true why are there rabbonim who still pasken that you have to wash for kedusha outside the bathroom? Because of the function of the room, not because of the excrement which is in the room. However if you have a bathroom in which there is a toilet, a sink, a bathtub, a mirror, medicine chest etc. that room has many functions. The minute you have a sink in together with the toilet that room has many functions.

And if you have a diaper pail in a baby's room and it is closed are you allowed to make a brocho in that room?
Answer - no.
Because of the excrement.
But you are definitely allowed to wash the hands in the bathroom, just make your asher yotzar outside the bathroom because of the use of the room.

HindaRochel

Post Fri, Oct 09 2009, 9:43 am
I wash with soap and water in the bathroom. That's it.
We don't wash negel vasser afterward. That's not what we learned.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions