Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Do you wash after the bathroom OUTSIDE the bathroom?
Previous  1  2  3

After the bathroom I wash my hands:
In the bathroom  
 58%  [ 66 ]
Outside the bathroom with a cup  
 28%  [ 32 ]
Outside the bathroom without a cup  
 9%  [ 11 ]
I don't wash  
 3%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 113

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Sun, Oct 11 2009, 4:59 pm
ChossidMom wrote:
My husband washes his hands at the kitchen sink every time he even steps into the bathroom to get a towel. He's very tuma/tahara minded.

We too.

What? You want us to meet in the dark alley for some cookies? I'm scared Pale

shobee

Post Sun, Oct 11 2009, 6:01 pm
I worked as a real estate agent in Modiin where there are over a hundred Mishab apartments in 3 different Mishab projects and all those apartments have the sink outside the bathroom.

bashinda

Post Sun, Oct 11 2009, 10:12 pm
and although I hardly count as I was only in Israel almost everywhere I went there were sinks outside of the bathrooms. In fact I thought that was an Israeli thing. But given that I don't even know what Mishab means this probably doesn't amount to that much Smile

Imaonwheels

Post Mon, Oct 12 2009, 12:19 am
I was once told by someone that 4 times on each hand comes from the GRA. Three time one washes and once to remove tumah passed by liquid. Some Litvish do the same thing by pouring backwards using the one handled cup (from dh who learned in Or Sameach) and Lubavitchers do it by taking the handle with a towel to avoid getting water on the handle on the hand already washed.

The Happy Wife

Post Sun, May 13 2012, 11:29 am
gz wrote:
We wash OUTSIDE the bathroom, with a cup, like negal vasser. (we do 4 times each...)
I wash my hands after going into the bathroom, even just to bathe the baby.
so washing IN the bathroom would not help, cuz when I'm done, I'm still in the bathroom!
I would wash my hands with soap in the bathroom, and then outside, just with a cup...

Interesting... we do 4x in the morning for negel vasser, but only 3x after bathroom.
BTW, we wash after bathroom with cup inside the bathroom as a chumrah, as DH and I were both taught that al pi halacha, we don't need the cup. We are definitely not modern, though.

chani8

Post Sun, May 13 2012, 12:17 pm
If the toilet is clean or the lid is down, washing in the bathroom is fine. And a cup isn't required.

I understand that negel vasser was a requirement for the cohanim and that we only do it as a remembrance.

So the fact that people get caught up on these halachot of a remembrance is amazing. I suppose if I was a cohen, I'd appreciate the practice and social support of everyone washing so meticulously.

Ruchel

Post Sun, May 13 2012, 1:11 pm
In the bathroom. But there is no sink in the toilets.

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Sun, May 20 2012, 7:06 pm
chani8 wrote:
If the toilet is clean or the lid is down, washing in the bathroom is fine. And a cup isn't required.

I understand that negel vasser was a requirement for the cohanim and that we only do it as a remembrance.

So the fact that people get caught up on these halachot of a remembrance is amazing. I suppose if I was a cohen, I'd appreciate the practice and social support of everyone washing so meticulously.

This is not the reason for negel vasser. Where did you pick it up from? And where did you get the first halachah from?

chanitroy

Post Sun, May 20 2012, 9:02 pm
Actually during high school my friend started always washing negel vasser after the bathroom, I never thought to ask her why, anyways I thought I was so bad for always forgetting... when I got married I saw that my husband (who is a Kohen) just rinses his hands outside the bathroom, I asked him why not negel vasser and he said that has nothing to do with negel vasser, we just have to rinse because we touched a part of our body that should be covered... negel vasser is a more for getting rid of kabbalistic tumah such as after sleeping at night, or before intimacy and after, or kohen before birchas kohanim...

myself

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 10:48 am
I've remember hearing that as long as you dry your hands OUTSIDE the bathroom then washing in the bathroom is fine. Anyone else heard of this?

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 5:25 pm
chanitroy wrote:
Actually during high school my friend started always washing negel vasser after the bathroom, I never thought to ask her why, anyways I thought I was so bad for always forgetting... when I got married I saw that my husband (who is a Kohen) just rinses his hands outside the bathroom, I asked him why not negel vasser and he said that has nothing to do with negel vasser, we just have to rinse because we touched a part of our body that should be covered... negel vasser is a more for getting rid of kabbalistic tumah such as after sleeping at night, or before intimacy and after, or kohen before birchas kohanim...

Your husband is right with everything he said. "Negel vasser" is water next to your bed used to wash your hands in the morning when you wake up. After the bathroom is just that "washing the hands after the bathroom".

myself wrote:
I've remember hearing that as long as you dry your hands OUTSIDE the bathroom then washing in the bathroom is fine. Anyone else heard of this?

We do that when there's no sink outside the bathroom, like in an airplane.

BMe

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 5:46 pm
myself wrote:

Yes, I've heard this, though I wash outside the bathroom, in the kitchen.

Shuly

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 6:49 pm
BMe wrote:
myself wrote:

Yes, I've heard this, though I wash outside the bathroom, in the kitchen.

Yes, my Rav told me this. I wash in the bathroom and dry outside.

amother
Purple

Post Sat, Jun 24 2017, 4:40 pm
If it's after using the bathroom, then the halacha AFAIK is to wash one's hands outside the bathroom so that one can recite the brocha of Asher Yotzar.
I think if one washed their hands inside the bathroom then one cannot recite the brocha.

I know a lot of people wash with a cup. We don't always. Depends. But we are particular to wash our hands with soap, for hygiene.

Maybe

Post Sat, Jun 24 2017, 10:56 pm
freidasima wrote:
The halochos of bathroom are very different today than before plumbing.
Then there were outhouses. And if someone had a chamber in the house the waste went into a chamber pot which remained in the same room, just under a cover.

Today, when you flush, your waste leaves the bathroom. The room may have been used for excretion but it is no dirtier nor is it more tamei than your kitchen once you have flushed.

If you are talking about a room that has a toilet and a sink it is very different than an outhouse with a jug of water. Same BTW goes for negel vasser where you are not allowed to walk 4 amos before having washed, however your entire house is considered your "daled amos" meaning 4 amos, hence you don't have to keep water under your bed and wash there, you can walk to the bathroom, kitchen, wherever and do it.

Understand what "daled amos", "tamei" and "bathroom" mean halochically.
A lot of it today is just personal feeling because a "bathroom" is not what a bathroom used to be when these halochos were codified.
Running water and flushing make all the difference.

So if this is all true why are there rabbonim who still pasken that you have to wash for kedusha outside the bathroom? Because of the function of the room, not because of the excrement which is in the room. However if you have a bathroom in which there is a toilet, a sink, a bathtub, a mirror, medicine chest etc. that room has many functions. The minute you have a sink in together with the toilet that room has many functions.

And if you have a diaper pail in a baby's room and it is closed are you allowed to make a brocho in that room?
Answer - no.
Because of the excrement.
But you are definitely allowed to wash the hands in the bathroom, just make your asher yotzar outside the bathroom because of the use of the room.

That may be true, but would you daven in the bathroom ?

amother
Sienna

Post Sat, Jun 24 2017, 11:27 pm
I thought washing after using the bathroom had to do something with rectifying the sin with the idol that ppl peed on.ol

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sat, Jun 24 2017, 11:29 pm
Very old thread. Why do people like to bump up old threads instead of starting new ones?
The previous poster is quoting a poster who is not even on imamother any more.

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Jun 25 2017, 12:42 am
amother wrote:
I thought washing after using the bathroom had to do something with rectifying the sin with the idol that ppl peed on.ol

I've never heard of this one.
In which times in Jewish history did this happen??????

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Jun 25 2017, 1:03 am
amother wrote:
If it's after using the bathroom, then the halacha AFAIK is to wash one's hands outside the bathroom so that one can recite the brocha of Asher Yotzar.
I think if one washed their hands inside the bathroom then one cannot recite the brocha.

I know a lot of people wash with a cup. We don't always. Depends. But we are particular to wash our hands with soap, for hygiene.

Sorry, I made a mistake in my previous post - to enable one to recite the brocho of "Asher Yotzar" after using the bathroom, one may wash their hands in the bathroom but must dry their hands outside the bathroom.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions