Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
What do you do with your leftover cholent?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

melavemalka

Post Fri, Oct 16 2009, 7:46 am
cant believe so many just chuck it out!

My DH eats 'cholent soup' almost every sunday, I just add water to it and he has it as a soup with croutons - its his family's tradition Surprised

Mrs Bissli

Post Fri, Oct 16 2009, 8:29 am
I usually make parve cholent (unless DH is out of town, when I load it up with meat and merguez!), and without potato (beans, wheat). So I can either freeze it for the following week or serve during the week. Since it doesn't have meat, you can even eat it cold, sometimes I pack it for lunch. DH sometimes put it in a pita for lunch or I can serve them over pasta.

I *HATE* *HATE* *HATE* wasting food. Someone I met when I was very young was a survivor from Krakow Ghetto and his story just left me such strong mark on my mentality about food.

lizard8

Post Fri, Oct 16 2009, 8:56 am
Dh eats the cholent fri afternoon and sometimes friday night after the meal. When it comes to shabbos day, he only eats a little bit. One sunday I reheated it, even though it was good I felt weird eating it not on Shabbos.

willow

Post Fri, Oct 16 2009, 9:35 am
Mrs Bissli wrote:
I usually make parve cholent (unless DH is out of town, when I load it up with meat and merguez!), and without potato (beans, wheat). So I can either freeze it for the following week or serve during the week. Since it doesn't have meat, you can even eat it cold, sometimes I pack it for lunch. DH sometimes put it in a pita for lunch or I can serve them over pasta.

I *HATE* *HATE* *HATE* wasting food. Someone I met when I was very young was a survivor from Krakow Ghetto and his story just left me such strong mark on my mentality about food.

My dh loves it hot in toasted pita as well Very Happy I am the same way about wasting food. I really try to use everything in my fridge. Its like a game I lose if I forget about something and its spoiled and needs to be thrown out.

Tamiri

Post Fri, Oct 16 2009, 9:36 am
It's not cholent weather yet. One more obstacle overcome.

Dini

Post Fri, Oct 16 2009, 9:39 am
I make just enough, no one would eat it here after shabbos.

hello

Post Fri, Oct 16 2009, 11:04 am
out it goes... nobody eats it & it smells terribly!

AlwaysGrateful

Post Fri, Oct 16 2009, 11:21 am
I'm telling you - make cholent soup out of it. Even if you don't like leftover cholent, it's easy to make and growing up I never knew it came from cholent!

My mother used to doctor it up, adding some water, frozen vegetables, and spices to it. It was delicious in the wintertime, sometimes eaten with some freshly baked bread, that was all we needed for dinner! Delicious.

hello

Post Fri, Oct 16 2009, 11:24 am
AlwaysGrateful wrote:
I'm telling you - make cholent soup out of it. Even if you don't like leftover cholent, it's easy to make and growing up I never knew it came from cholent!

My mother used to doctor it up, adding some water, frozen vegetables, and spices to it. It was delicious in the wintertime, sometimes eaten with some freshly baked bread, that was all we needed for dinner! Delicious.
how do u do that?

SingALong

Post Fri, Oct 16 2009, 1:55 pm
I used to always throw it out, and I have tons leftover! recently my DD asked me to save it for her for sunday so that's her ssunday supper now. I still throw out tons though, I wan tto try to make less.
right now I do
1 piece flanken
2 potatoes
1/2 bean mix
1/2 cup barely
1 roll kishke
water
salt and pepper

not sure how to make it less....

Dini

Post Fri, Oct 16 2009, 3:53 pm
It depends what you have left over. Does the meat and kishka get all eaten up? When I buy a roll of kishka or package of flanken I cut it into pieces and put them in the freezer and use only one piece each week. If it is just beans or barley that is left I would use less of those. I don't measure the amount of barley, I just put some.

Ruchel

Post Sat, Oct 17 2009, 2:24 pm
If we have cholent generally no leftovers! If there are leftovers we eat it. Cholent indeed becomes better with time. Sometimes I send some as my dd's meal to her caregiver.

Lady Godiva

Post Sat, Oct 17 2009, 7:38 pm
I make chulent for Shabbat lunch about twice a year and the leftovers get eaten on Saturday night or Sunday. I guess if we had it more often, it would not be so exciting to eat chulent leftovers.

Tova

Post Sat, Oct 17 2009, 7:54 pm
We also eat it during the week.

My recipe is:

- 2 potatoes
- 3/4 C cholent beans
- 1/4 C barley
- 1 sm. onion
- 1 jar marinara sauce
- 1 jar worth of water

Zero fat, oil, grease. Tomato-ey, delicious (and not heavy) when eaten even during the week.

Blue jay

Post Sat, Oct 17 2009, 9:42 pm
Try it the next day on a taco shell and mix in some cajun spices. Yum...

mominisrael2

Post Sun, Oct 18 2009, 1:49 am
octopus wrote:
I make a tiny, tiny yummy cholent. I eat a bowl. My dh eats a bowl. my children eat their bowls= no more cholent.

I used to have a tiny crockpot that ensured no cholent leftovers (one quart, I think?), but I can't find one that small in Israel! Anyone know where I can look?

yaeli83

Post Thu, Nov 12 2009, 9:12 am
its usually a problem b/c its just me and DH. He makes the cholent and its small, but we usually eat all the meat and potatoes and its just the soupy barley and wheat left. (we dont use beans).
so I hate to waste it and then we keep the soupy stuff, which inevitably gets thrown out the following thursday... sigh Confused

maybe we should just make meat and potatoes from now on Smile

yo'ma

Post Thu, May 06 2010, 10:10 am
This past week the meat in the chulent didn't cook, don't ask, so I washed it and put it in the fridge. I also put in 2 potatoes when I usually put in 1, so there were leftovers of that, too, so I also washed it and put it in the fridge. Last night for supper, I sliced the meat (I didn't cut it beforehand) and cooked it on the stove (my oven is broken Exploding anger Exploding anger Exploding anger Exploding anger ) with a homemade type for duck sauce and in another pan, fried up onions and added the cut up potatoes with a little salt. Everything was finished Tongue Out .

nechyf

Post Thu, May 08 2014, 2:02 pm
Has anyone ever used the leftover potatoes from the cholent, mashed them up and used them I as sheperd's pie topping? Anticipating lots of leftovers...sigh..

pumpernickle

Post Thu, May 08 2014, 4:47 pm
I turn it into a Yemenite style soup by adding some Cumin, crushed red pepper and some black and white pepper. It has the meat and beans and really tastes heavenly!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus