Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
URGENT PLEASE CALM ME DOWN!
1  2  Next

mbk

Post Thu, Oct 15 2009, 9:04 pm
I was given Diflucan for a y. infection and after taking a dosage of the generic brand APO-FLUCONAZOLE I see online that the generic version is not proven safe for breastfeeding mothers ...meaning that it goes into the milk. Im freaking out..my baby doesnt want to think of taking a bottle ! anyone know if and how harmful it is for babies? also, what should I do to get it out of my system faster>? any advice would be appreciated as I dont want to feed my baby a harmful drug chas vsholom. thanks..

bubby

Post Thu, Oct 15 2009, 9:06 pm
Would poison control be able to advise you?

yummy2

Post Thu, Oct 15 2009, 9:08 pm
Call the dr

chaylizi

call your pediatrician after hours number or your OB

mbk

Bubby.. thanks for replying. Its not toxic but not proven safe either. I just wish id be able to reach the pharmacist now but theyre closed of course. thanks.

26teach

Post Thu, Oct 15 2009, 9:10 pm
if you live in canada there is a 24 hr hotline to call and a nurse will help you...?

Strudel

Post Thu, Oct 15 2009, 9:10 pm
Keep calm. Just because its not proven safe does not mean its harmful. Simply they haven't done enough research on in and if it gets into bmilk.

Drugs like valium, anti-d's can be harmful, but I've never heard of a med for yeast infection to be an issue.

Give the baby formula in a bottle if you're worried and speak to the doc in the morning.

mbk

Post Thu, Oct 15 2009, 9:13 pm
I am in Canada..do you have the number of the hotline? thanks so much.

mbk

Post Thu, Oct 15 2009, 9:14 pm
and Strudel...I wish he would take a bottle!

chavamom

Post Thu, Oct 15 2009, 9:16 pm
There really aren't ANY drugs that are tested and 'proven" safe for breastfeeding - b/c no one wants to take liability for testing. There is a book "Medications and Mother's Milk" by Dr. Thomas Hale that is a much better reference than the PDR. He is a PhD in pharmacology and has done research on how much of any given drug is excreted in human milk and what is the known safe dosage for an infant and makes recommendations based on that. I don't have a copy in front of me, but I'm pretty sure difulcan is not a problem (and the generic isn't going to be any different than the name brand). Let me go look at Dr. Hale's website and see if there is anything there.

chavamom

Post Thu, Oct 15 2009, 9:24 pm
Quote:
Fluconazole, when used in the 100-200 mg/day range is probably without problem in breastfed infants. About 16% of the maternal dose transfers in infants exclusively breastfed...less so in older infants who receive less milk/day.

Annie

Post Thu, Oct 15 2009, 9:32 pm
at least in the US, generic drugs, by law have to be the same as the name brand drugs they sub for, so if it's exactly the same as diflucan, then the reactions would be the same, just that it hasn't been tested b/c it hasn't been around that long. You could also call the pharmacist from where you got the meds.

mbk

Post Thu, Oct 15 2009, 9:51 pm
I just hung up with a nurse and she doesnt understand why I was given it. she says its not recommended for breastfeeding moms. and youre right...its not only the generic thats a problem .

its the fluconizole (diflucan) thats the problem .
also, had I researched online before taking it I would have been better off . im usually extra careful but wasnt this time. I see that tons of people suffer from dizziness and other crazy symptoms from this medication! WHY IS IT STILL PRESCRIBED? Anyway she said I should try to nurse infrequently this night and that the max of the medicine is released at 30 hrs after taking the pill. so ill do my homework tomorrow and call the pharmacist and doc. thanks so much to all of you.

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Oct 15 2009, 10:03 pm
Sorry but my high risk OB prescribed diflucan for me when I had a month-old baby, for severe thrush. they didnt see a problem with it at all...

chavamom

Post Thu, Oct 15 2009, 10:05 pm
mbk wrote:
I just hung up with a nurse and she doesnt understand why I was given it. she says its not recommended for breastfeeding moms. and youre right...its not only the generic thats a problem .

its the fluconizole (diflucan) thats the problem .
also, had I researched online before taking it I would have been better off . im usually extra careful but wasnt this time. I see that tons of people suffer from dizziness and other crazy symptoms from this medication! WHY IS IT STILL PRESCRIBED? Anyway she said I should try to nurse infrequently this night and that the max of the medicine is released at 30 hrs after taking the pill. so ill do my homework tomorrow and call the pharmacist and doc. thanks so much to all of you.

Why was it prescribed? B/c if you read what I wrote above, at the dose you are taking it isn't seen to be a problem. Who is this nurse and what was she using for her information? It is only considered a problem at high doses for a prolonged period of time, such as when someone has a fungal pneumonia.

mbk

Post Thu, Oct 15 2009, 10:22 pm
Firstly, I browsed through Dr. Hales website and found it very informative..thanks. Secondly , this nurse is available throught the Govt. its a 24 hr service and you can reach it by calling 811 from Canada.

chavamom

Post Thu, Oct 15 2009, 10:34 pm
Hmm - as mamabear indicated, it's prescribed pretty routinely in the US for nursing mothers. I"m going to guess, unless the nurse answering the phone had a copy of Hale's that she's looking at the PDR and that is not a great source for breastfeeding info. Don't lose sleep over it and talk to your MD in the AM. If you are in Canada, you should be able to get ahold of Jack Newman's breastfeeding clinic. Bet they would know Smile

mbk

Post Thu, Oct 15 2009, 10:38 pm
Jack Newman's breastfeeding clinic?

chavamom

Post Thu, Oct 15 2009, 10:44 pm
http://www.drjacknewman.com/

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Oct 16 2009, 6:24 am
(Is it still open and around? Last year he was having a financial crisis...)

Almost anyone you speak to these days don't know anything about medicine in breastmilk. Newman does, Hale does, Ruth Lawrence in upstate NY does...but most hotline staffers aren't experts in breastfeeding and the way medicine may get into milk, in what percent, etc etc
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics