Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Blood test without gloves

e1234

Post Mon, Oct 19 2009, 12:26 am
Is this legal?
In israel almost every time I got a blood test I had to request that the nurse where gloves.
Yesterday when they did a blood test on my child she said she couldn't wear gloves and find a vein on a child. So I made her get up and scrub her hands in front of me.
To me this is a given that must be done - am I the paranoid one? It seems nursed get annoyed with me for doing so.

Marion

Post Mon, Oct 19 2009, 1:01 am
Yes, it's legal. Yes, you're paranoid. (IMO) It makes sense it's hard to wear gloves & find a vein; the gloves interfere with the sense of touch.

In the States the gloves are more for the staff's protection than for the patient; the staff is dealing with blood products, you (general) have no contact with the bodily fluids of the staff member!

amother

Post Mon, Oct 19 2009, 2:06 am
I don't know if it's only with me (because I do have difficult veins) but almost always the nurse taking my blood will either take off one glove or just tear a hole to release one finger. It really is difficult to feel through the glove apparently.
I think it is reasonable to ask hands be washed. You can also ask to inspect her hands to make sure no open cuts/ wounds.

momaleh

Post Mon, Oct 19 2009, 2:31 am
You are not paranoid a tall. Why risk a Staph infection? But I wouldn't worry about gloves, just clean hands. My pediatrician washes his hands before he even touches a child, and I ask the tipat chalav nurse to wash hers before she gives them shots. It takes a lot for me to do that, but I do. The nurse at Meuchedet where I am (at least the american one) also makes sure to wash her hands before taking blood.
Although we claim modern medicine to be the cause of recent longer life spans, most diseases disappeared or became less deadly when it became the norm for Drs. and nurses to wash their hands between patients.
PLease continue to ask for clean hands!

happyone

Post Mon, Oct 19 2009, 3:17 am
The tech wears gloves to protect themselves, not you. If you or your child were infected with HIV or some other disorder, the tech would not want to be taking your blood without being well protected. With children or hard to access veins they have a hard time feeling for it with a glove. It's normal to remove them while you look for those hard veins.

louche

Post Mon, Oct 19 2009, 9:06 am
happyone wrote:
The tech wears gloves to protect themselves, not you.

exactly. they're at risk of the patient's blood getting on their hands, and if they have minute cuts or sores, they can be infected with whatever is in the patient's blood. The patient is at no risk of getting anything from them provided they wipe the puncture site with alcohol or iodine and don't touch the needle before it pierces the patient's skin. Still, I would want them to wash their hands between patients.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Oct 19 2009, 9:09 am
e1234 wrote:
Is this legal?
In israel almost every time I got a blood test I had to request that the nurse where gloves.
Yesterday when they did a blood test on my child she said she couldn't wear gloves and find a vein on a child. So I made her get up and scrub her hands in front of me.
To me this is a given that must be done - am I the paranoid one? It seems nursed get annoyed with me for doing so.
The gloves are for THEIR protection more than anything else. It's so your blood won't get mixed into theirs and contaminate them if they have a sore or what not. No problem on your part Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics