Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Your advice, please!!!Upright Manual Defrost Freezer

mommymommy

Post Thu, Oct 15 2009, 1:19 pm
I am looking to purchase an upright freezer. I was told the manual defrosts are better because the food lasts longer without freezer burn. other than that I am clueless. Any ideas models numbers and brands that you love or hate? Any advice? Please let me know!

EZ Does It

Post Thu, Oct 15 2009, 1:21 pm
I have a Frigidaire upright frost free freezer for 3 years. I am extremely happy with it, the food tastes good, and I don't have the job of defrosting.

queen

Post Thu, Oct 15 2009, 2:20 pm
I don't recall where I read this - but if you are careful to double wrap e/t very well - go for frost free. food will taste fine and you don't need to worry about cleaning freezer.

frost free works = by automatically decreasing freezer temp. every X hours I/o to avoid any build up of ice on walls as it's constantly melting any ice sitt'g on walls of freezer.

down side of this is your food can be ever so slightly effected by temp. fluxuations.

if you can hold off purchasing for a couple months - I think gov't might be giving "cash for appliances" (rermember clonkers?) cash rebates for a/o purchas'g NEW energy efficient appliances (most new app. are) I.e. was'g machines/dryers,fridge/freezers etc

Annie

Post Thu, Oct 15 2009, 4:11 pm
We have a continuous temp (not frost free) freezer that we've been using for 14 years. We love it. We defrost it every year before pesach. Not a big deal at all, and if you're careful to seal the door well, the frost doesn't build up badly at all. I can leave challah, kugles, desserts, etc, frozen for literally months and they taste the way they did the day I made them. In my regular (frost free) freezer upstairs, no matter how well I wrap things, after a week they start to taste funny.

Another good note was to get one with a lock. That just helps keep it closed and away from little hands. We've been glad we did that. Otherwise, I think ours is a fridgedaire.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Oct 15 2009, 4:35 pm
That was the case years ago, I'm not sure it is any more.

Tova

Post Thu, Oct 15 2009, 5:05 pm
I love my Kenmore manual upright freezer (Sears name brand).

Details about current tax credits for energy efficient items...doesn't look like appliances are included but I am not so up-to-date on current legislation that may be passed:

http://www.energystar.gov/inde.....index

NotInNJMommy

Post Thu, Oct 15 2009, 7:45 pm
I t hink I have a maytag. Quiet. Defrosting was rather easy. Might be discontinued (my exact model did not have slide out shelves).

queen

Post Thu, Oct 15 2009, 8:12 pm
tova - thanks for link. not sure why you thinkwe wont get... see what I copied off web from link you posted:

Quote:
Questions specific to appliance rebates can be directed to the DOE Recovery Act Clearinghouse at 1-888-DOE-RCVY (1-888-363-7289).

The "Stimulus Bill" (American Recovery and Reinvestment Act) provided $300 million to states for consumer rebates on the following ENERGY STAR qualified appliances:

central air conditioners
heat pumps (air source and geothermal)
boilers
furnaces (oil and gas)
room air conditioners
clothes washers
dishwashers
refrigerators/freezers
water heaters
Each state will develop its own rebate program, and has the flexibility to select which appliances to include and what rebate amounts to offer.

State plans were due to DOE by October 15, 2009. It will take DOE several weeks to process all of the applications. Once approved, and the funds are disbursed, states can begin to roll out their programs. Rebates could be available for consumers by late 2009 or early 2010, though this will vary by state. Are these rebates retroactive?

Amounts commonly offered range from $50 to $250, depending upon the product being purchased, purchase price, and other market factors. Federal tax credits and other financial incentives may be claimed for the same products, as long as they qualify under the rules of the programs and are not specifically excluded.

Tova

Post Thu, Oct 15 2009, 8:50 pm
I missed it, queen, but thanks for pointing it out.

Unfortunately, though, it does not seem like there is much guidance here yet.

ShakleeMom

Post Thu, Oct 15 2009, 8:55 pm
I have a 17 cubic upright frost free freezer and I never had to defrost it. Nothing has a freezer taste... greatest gift I ever bought for myself.

pina colada

Post Thu, Oct 15 2009, 9:47 pm
I would definitely go for a manual. You do not have to double wrap anything and the food stays fresh with no freezer burn. I second the idea of a lock to make sure your freezer is closed well, preventing spoilage (my mom had a freezer full of cakes and desserts ruined bec. some little hands didn't close it properly).

su7kids

Post Thu, Oct 15 2009, 9:54 pm
I love my new sears freezer. The "old" freezer, we got 24 years ago when we got to this country, paid $75 for it used, and its still working GREAT. Also Kenmore (Sears).

mommymommy

Post Fri, Oct 16 2009, 12:31 am
Thanks so much guys! I really appreciate your input, especially about the cash for appliances! I wish I could find out if it would be retroactive so I can buy the freezer now. I am so glad I just bought all new kitchen appliances a year ago! Oh well!

queen

Post Fri, Oct 16 2009, 9:48 am
flutterfly wrote:
I would definitely go for a manual. You do not have to double wrap anything and the food stays fresh with no freezer burn.

we have a manual defrost (that's what came with house) and I STILL double wrap everything. I work too hard filling up my freezer to take the risk. Plus, some stuff can stay in there for 3 months + and once I heat up tastes as good as new.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars