Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Please HELP...how do I discipline...

amother

Post Tue, Oct 20 2009, 9:53 am
I have BH a 1 yr old (he turned 1 about 1 month ago) and he is acting up very bad.
He doesn't listen to us when we say "NO" and he laugh at us or turn his head away doing the same thing again.
He bites real hard too....
I dont know how to discipline but im in urgent need of it, im IY"H due in a few weeks and things wont get easier after that.
We tried a patch on the hand- not hard of course b/c we're scared to hurt him and my mom tells me to bite him back when he bites but I have no heart to do it...he's too cute !!!
Other than that BH he's a great kid, im not sure if he's acting up because im due soon and he feels it ...I dont know but I REALLY NEED HELP...im starting to loose it ....

red sea

Post Tue, Oct 20 2009, 10:36 am
Say a firm No, redirect his attention, don't focus on the biting by giving it attention. 13 months is way too young to "listen" to you. At this age it is like a game. They will do it again and want to see if you will do the same thing again too. He is stilll a baby, doesn't even qualify to be a toddler yet.

lech lecha08

Post Tue, Oct 20 2009, 4:38 pm
I'm struggling with this too. My 15 month old will hit or bite. We stop her and say firmly, "No. That hurts" but then my 3 year old is right there giggling so the baby laughs.

drumjj

Post Tue, Oct 20 2009, 4:40 pm
I would walk away or put him somewhere else every time he does this act so he realizes its something he is doing wrong.

Happy Mom

Post Wed, Oct 21 2009, 1:19 am
Please don't say that a child this young is acting badly - not only is the definition inaccurate, the definition you're currently using isn't helpful to you or your child.

The reason he's acting this way is that you haven't clearly shown him that what he's doing is unacceptable. He laughs because you still think he's cute no matter what he does, and he's responding to that. Don't potch his hand, and the idea of biting him back is really atrocious. Be calm and even when you respond, but don't use more than a couple of words (this is a 1 year old infant, after all!). "No hitting." If you know this is something he does, then keep an eye on him so you can ideally catch his hand as he's about to hit you - the more immediate the feedback, the more effective it will be.

Stay firm and businesslike when you correct him. Not harsh, and not "oh, he's so cute and I can't tell him 'no'". He'll get the point very quickly if you're consistent.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics