Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Egg pot
1  2  Next

happy2beme

Post Fri, Apr 28 2006, 12:12 pm
did anyone ever hear that u need a separate egg pot? & u can't use it for anything else except for boiling eggs?

DefyGravity

Post Fri, Apr 28 2006, 12:16 pm
We use one during Pesach, but not the rest of the year.

Last edited by DefyGravity on Fri, Apr 28 2006, 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

chen

Post Fri, Apr 28 2006, 12:30 pm
nope, never heard of such a thing. Many years ago before the advent of stainless steel, nearly everyone--kosher or not-- had a separate enamel pot for eggs because eggs react badly with aluminum. The pots turn black and the egg yolks turn greyish. This does not happen in stainless or enamel.

happy2beme

Post Fri, Apr 28 2006, 12:33 pm
chen- that makes sense.
but just to make sure, I guess I have to call my rav...again Smile

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Apr 28 2006, 12:36 pm
people have a fish pot during the year, to keep it really parve. is that what you mean?

happy2beme

Post Fri, Apr 28 2006, 1:01 pm
not referring to a fish pot, but to an egg pot.
someone told me I need a separate egg pot but I think it's because of chen's reason that they think so (they have those enamel pots).

realeez

Post Fri, Apr 28 2006, 1:12 pm
a question about the fish pot -
if you use a separate one for cooking gefilte fish, what would you do if you have a hot salmon dish for dinner? would u put it on your fleishig plates?

stem

Post Fri, Apr 28 2006, 1:29 pm
The fish is parve since you made it in a parve pot. Putting it on a fleishig plate doesn't make it fleishik and you don't have to wait six hours. Since you're using fleishik dishes, don't eat milchik together with the fish at the
same meal (obviously).

Disclaimer, I am not a posek, but this is what I learned in highschool and seminary.

realeez

Post Fri, Apr 28 2006, 1:31 pm
That actually wasn't my question.
My question was if you hold you must have a separate fish pot, can you ever put hot fish on a fleishig plate?

stem

Post Fri, Apr 28 2006, 1:34 pm
Oh. Do people hold that for any reason besides keeping the fish parve so you could serve it with milchik or fleishik? I didn't realize there was halachik reasons for keeping fish in its own pot.

girliesmommy

Post Fri, Apr 28 2006, 1:34 pm
My parent use a separate pot for fish and a separate pot for eggs. My husband had never heard of it so we asked a Rav who said they're not necessary, but some people do have them. So we don't! Smile

realeez

Post Fri, Apr 28 2006, 1:36 pm
stem wrote:
Oh. Do people hold that for any reason besides keeping the fish parve so you could serve it with milchik or fleishik? I didn't realize there was halachik reasons for keeping fish in its own pot.

I asked a sheilah and was told I don't need a separate fish pot.
I was just curious for those who did!

Some have a separate fish pot b/c it gets smelly after a while, not for halacha.

koolmother

Post Sat, Apr 29 2006, 9:34 pm
some people have egg pots on pesach, and the reason for that is cuz on pesach we peel everything and dont use anything with a peel and being that you cant peel eggs before boiling them and who knows what it came in contact with (as in chametz) so you have a seperate pot for that reason.

happy2beme

Post Mon, May 01 2006, 10:58 am
thanks coolmother Smile
very sensible Smile

mommy2

Post Mon, May 01 2006, 12:32 pm
Quote:
My parent use a separate pot for fish and a separate pot for eggs. My husband had never heard of it so we asked a Rav who said they're not necessary, but some people do have them. So we don't!

Did your husband hang around the kitchen?? Smile
ps My mother uses a separate pot for fish Confused

mir11

Post Mon, May 01 2006, 3:05 pm
fish and meat are not allowed to be eaten together.
if you cook something ina meat pot that was used within 24 hours then I'm not sure if it becomes fleishigs or if it just cant be eaten together with dairy.

thats why people use a seperate pot for fish, so that if the pot was used for meat and within 24 hrs it will be used for fish it might be considered eating fish and meat together.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, May 01 2006, 3:12 pm
but what about your plates, that was the question. how can you serve hot fish on a plate that was possibly used for meat within the last 24 hours.

mir11

Post Mon, May 01 2006, 4:16 pm
Quote:
but what about your plates, that was the question. how can you serve hot fish on a plate that was possibly used for meat within the last 24 hours.

good question. I actually never thought about it. but I usually serve fish cold. except for baked salmon and thats usually with milchigs

mir11

Post Mon, May 01 2006, 4:25 pm
the reason for egg pots I think has s/t to do with the eggs might have blood spots that can make pot treif. that why its good to cook at least three eggs at a time (when boiling eggs)

youngmom

Post Mon, May 01 2006, 5:06 pm
yes, I've heard the same.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen