Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society

bubby

Post Sat, Oct 24 2009, 7:12 pm
This is one of the best books I have ever read...I couldn't put it down. It's set in 1946, written in the style of letters & telegrams (no texting then!) & is an account of an author & how she ends up befriending a group of Islanders who devised this insane-sounding book club to escape the Nazi invaders of their Island.

For those who don't know, Guernsey is one of the Channel Islands & technically it's under British control. it was the only part of "Britain" the Germans invaded. This fictional description is so accurate (I researched it) of the kind of things that went on & how Islanders suffered, and the style is incredible. The witty writing, the affection between everyone...a truly amazing novel.

I read it only because as as curriculum developer & advisor to teachers I was asked to read it to prepare lessons, tests. etc. I was blown away! Although I'd never have picked it up I am thrilled I had the chance to read this masterpiece. It's a collaborative effort by Mary Ann Shaffer (she died in 2008 & it was her first (only??) novel) & her niece Annie Barrows.

BUY IT!!

PinkFridge

Post Sat, Oct 24 2009, 10:57 pm
I loved that book! I read the last few pages over and over and over again. I finished it and went straight to the beginning again. I don't know why I didn't bother reading it till three days before it was due, and I couldn't renew it.
(I wouldn't buy it new, as I don't buy too many books, but would used. )
I'm so sorry to hear the author died, her niece wrote that she wasn't well.

bubby

Post Sat, Oct 24 2009, 11:57 pm
There's always the library! Wink Didn't you think the quality of the writing was exceptional? Like having a conversation. That's what made it so readable & realistic. I thought it was very funny in places. I was so into it I nearly missed BOTH my stops on the subway.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room