Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Brother becoming a lot less frum
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Tue, May 09 2006, 5:02 pm
I know how you feel--helpless.

My dd also became a lot less frum (B"H she still keeps shabbos and kashrus) at round the same age and was in a different city. We have much less influence when it happens to them as adults. My other kids keep telling me not to criticize her when I see her (which is not too often) and to accept her the eay she is--that way the door is always open and she won't feel pushed even further away.

We just have to keep davening.

timeout

Post Tue, May 09 2006, 5:46 pm
my DH comes from a very chassidshe family and was in Yeshivah than became a Gabbai all before we were married. At some point he realized learning full time was not for him and tried to speak to his parents about going to work while of course davening and learning at night. Because of his family and the way everyone else was (his brothers and sisters) his parents went into shock, his mother would say Tehillim by his bed every morning and was nervous he wouldn't find a shidduch. They set him up with ridiculous girls only Bashos which he wan't interested in and finally he found his own Shadchan and the rest is history (we have K'H 2 kids).

There uncompromising attitude pushed him away so he felt that there lifestyle was shoved down his throat. We now send our kids to very Litvishe schools and he's the only one in the family that does not wear a Shtreimel.

Parents need to learn to be more open and listen when there kids talk.

Motek

Post Thu, May 11 2006, 12:56 pm
I can understand both - your husband and his parents. Being afraid she wouldn't find a shidduch for him was a real concern! But he sounds like he was a frum boy and it's a pity they didn't understand that.

timeout wrote:
. We now send our kids to very Litvishe schools and he's the only one in the family that does not wear a Shtreimel.

Why? Did he hate the schools he went to? Why not follow the family minhagim?

timeout

Post Thu, May 11 2006, 2:01 pm
Motek, he was hit in the schools he went to so it wasn't an option in his mind to send our kids there.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics