Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Shabbos parties
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Oct 22 2009, 4:29 pm
how many of you would actually be upset if another mother in your child's nursery class approached you and asked if you would be ok with limiting the types of nosh at shabbos party to less sugary things?

how many would be upset if said mother asked to ban lollipops from school?

how many would be upset if parents were asked not to send shabbos party nosh, the kids would bake a small cake on friday and eat that instead?

how many of you would object to challah rolls and grape juice for a shabbos party without nosh?

how many of you would be perfectly fine with getting rid of shabbos parties since school ends 11:45 on fridays and you'd like to give your kid an actual lunch and not have him/her on a sugar high for the rest of erev shabbos when you'd like to get stuff done?

on the flip side, how many of you specifically like that your kids get fed a large amount of nosh on friday afternoon?

responses, please. this is important. thanks.

pinktichel

Post Thu, Oct 22 2009, 4:34 pm
Why would anyone have a problem with that?

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Oct 22 2009, 4:38 pm
pinktichel wrote:
Why would anyone have a problem with that?

well, the principal insisted I call him rather than get a class list to deal with this quietly like an adult by asking allt he other mothers what would be ok with them. I think he's created a lot of work for himself...

he doesn't want the parents fighting amongst themselves. I don't quite understand that. I suggested the challah roll and grape juice thing, and the class bake cake thing. he's going to discuss it with the teacher and the other principal. it would have been easier to just give me a class list already...

octopus

Post Thu, Oct 22 2009, 4:38 pm
honestly, I don't mind pretzels or potato chips. I do mind lollipops, though. Hands down, if they got some challah rolls and some grape juice as "lunch" that's a whole lot better than pretzels and potato chips.

And I sure don't mind if the kids would bake a cake (though I highly doubt teachers will bake with the kids on friday) and then eat it.

I don't understand why any sugary snacks would be allowed in school. It just seems (especially in the boys' schools) that junk is handed out wherever you go. In the older grades it just gets worse and worse. The rebbies with the sodas and junk and doughnuts and the you-name-it. Rolling Eyes

amother

Post Thu, Oct 22 2009, 4:41 pm
To be honest, I don't really know what a "shabbos party" is. I'm a BT, my kids are all really young. My oldest who is 3 has one at his nursery school every Friday. I know it involves sitting around and eating nosh. (He is ONLY allowed to eat food sent from home, thus his "nosh" is something like a banana or applesauce or a ricecake with PB). Not sure what else goes on there but I really don't see what the point of a shabbos party is (maybe somebody here will enlighten me) other then to give kids garbage to eat.

octopus

Post Thu, Oct 22 2009, 4:41 pm
and there will always be the parents who won't think lollies and the like are "no big deal." But I would say that there is a good majority of parents who are concerned with what their child is eating in school.

Chocoholic

Post Thu, Oct 22 2009, 4:45 pm
I would want my kid to have nosh

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Oct 22 2009, 4:51 pm
Chocoholic wrote:

ok, please explain. what kind of nosh? and what is your reasoning behind wanting the nosh?

Ruchel

Post Thu, Oct 22 2009, 4:55 pm
Chocoholic wrote:

me too. I don't see the problem. I don't see why on Earth not, it's once a week not every day! and some kids grow up with (some) nosh every day and no problem... but again by me it's just not an issue.

I'm not sure what a shabbes party is, but if it can make my dd positive and even looking forward to shabbes, great!

amother

Post Thu, Oct 22 2009, 4:56 pm
I see nothing wrong with the nosh my kids get at school, I remember as a kid at that age waiting all week till friday came for the shobbas party, why would I take it away from them when I remember looking forward to it.
once a week let them have fun
Why does it bother you sooooooo much????/

octopus

Post Thu, Oct 22 2009, 4:59 pm
let's call a spade a spade. there is nosh and then there is NOSH. I would NOT want my child have anything that is bad for their teeth. yup. mummiedearest did not say no junk food! she said cake is okay. just not sugary laden stuff. like the gooey-ooey lollilpops and taffys.

And just because someone's child does not have a problem, another child can have a problem with sugar stuff. maybe it causes hyperactivity, maybe a child is obese, I don't know!

and please! these schools don't jsut hand out the junk food once a week. It's every day. EVERY DAY. Cookies for snack, shabbos parties, birthday parties, you name it.

Last edited by octopus on Thu, Oct 22 2009, 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

GetReal

I would want my kids to look forward to the special songs, the table set nicely, the kids pretending to bench licht and make kiddush...throw in grape juice and rolls and you're set! I definitely would not want them getting lollipops and other nosh. If I decide to give them nosh l'kavod Shabbos that's fine, but this is Friday!

sequoia

Because some parents don't want their kids to have junk food.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Oct 22 2009, 5:00 pm
Well, in ds school anyone can bring nosh for shabbos party each week. Usually a few kids bring-every week other kids end up bringing. The rebbe allows only a certain amount of nosh to be given out and the rest has to be put in the junk bin for other occasions.
If a boy bring pekelach for his birthday the rebbe gives it to them and tells them to take it home, not eat in school.
The playgroup dd attends, the mommy brings two things and the totty two things and it's healthy nosh.
When the boys had shabbos mommy and totty in school they had to send grape juice, challah rolls, and a mezonos.
A few school here banned birthday parties-unsure why.
Bottom line-my kids really do not get a lot of nosh in school.
Good nosh is -potato chips, pretzels, a lolly-one lolly ain't gonna kill em....

imasinger

Post Thu, Oct 22 2009, 5:02 pm
I seem to be following octopus around today and nodding my head in agreement with all her posts.

At my kids' school, they get challa and grape juice, or else cookies and grape juice. The school provides it. The end.

I think, OP, that you have a great idea, and I hope most of the parents agree with it.

octopus

Post Thu, Oct 22 2009, 5:04 pm
imasinger wrote:
I seem to be following octopus around today and nodding my head in agreement with all her posts.

you made me smile! I love hearing feedback about my posts! thanks!

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Oct 22 2009, 5:16 pm
amother wrote:
I see nothing wrong with the nosh my kids get at school, I remember as a kid at that age waiting all week till friday came for the shobbas party, why would I take it away from them when I remember looking forward to it.
once a week let them have fun
Why does it bother you sooooooo much????/

I have a number of reasons as to why it bothers me:

1)they specifically don't serve lunch on friday. so my son fills up on nosh, refuses to eat lunch at all when he comes home, and is high on sugar for the rest of the day, making it hard for me to finish shabbos prep.
I do the cooking before he comes home, but I can't clean the place with him bonkers like this, and I cannot relax on friday night if there are piles of unsorted laundry in my living room. before he started school I was able to finish everything for shabbos every friday.

if they want to give him nosh, do it first thing friday morning so they can deal with the sugar high.

2)I am currently on the scd for digestive issues that seem to be genetic. that means I can't digest sugar or grains. I don't want him on a high sugar diet because he has a good chance of developing digestive issues.

3) I don't object to some nosh in moderation. but my kid comes home with a bag of leftovers if he can't finish it all! also, we seem to get a lot of bday parties in his class on fridays. and it seems they add shabbos party nosh to the bday party nosh? the kid is THREE for goodness sakes. he doesn't need it. it's teaching him that lollipops trump lunch anytime.

as I said, I don't mind some nosh. I do object to lollipops, and I prefer that he not get things that are overly sugary. potato chips, pretzels, corn chips, a little cake or plain sugar cookies are fine. but I don't need him filling up on it.

I had wanted to call the parents and try to come up with a solution that works for everyone, including the pro-nosh parents. I understand that some people want their kids to be excited for shabbos by a party in school. but for those of you who want nosh, do you object to limiting it to the less sugary treats?

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Oct 22 2009, 5:18 pm
imasinger wrote:

At my kids' school, they get challa and grape juice, or else cookies and grape juice. The school provides it. The end.

I think, OP, that you have a great idea, and I hope most of the parents agree with it.

ah, but the admin took the issue over, and I'm afraid they don't see things my way...

I hope I don't have to insist on a sit down meeting with the principals, but I will if I have to. I'm not interested in paying tuition so my son can bounce off the walls every friday.

Chocoholic

Post Thu, Oct 22 2009, 5:27 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:

ok, please explain. what kind of nosh? and what is your reasoning behind wanting the nosh?

I want my kids to have lolly pops, potato chips, chocolate, slimy worms etc etc

I don't see why not, they are kids for peace's sake!! It will make shabbos and the shabbos party (though I don't really know what that is), extra special. Let kids be kids. I grew up with nosh on shabbos, why would I not let my kids have some, for peace's sake it's once a week...

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Oct 22 2009, 5:30 pm
Chocoholic wrote:
mummiedearest wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:

I want my kids to have lolly pops, potato chips, chocolate, slimy worms etc etc

I don't see why not, they are kids for peace's sake!! It will make shabbos and the shabbos party (though I don't really know what that is), extra special. Let kids be kids. I grew up with nosh on shabbos, why would I not let my kids have some, for peace's sake it's once a week...

I understand that. but if I called you and told you that sugar sensitivity runs in my family and I'd like to limit the amount of sugary nosh they serve at shabbos parties would it truly upset you? would you insist on gummy worms? would it bother you to keep the gummy worms at your house for shabbos and let your child have cake or cookies at school instead? would you prefer that I tell the teacher to just not give that stuff to my kid? how would you feel about that specific situation?
Page 1 of 8   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics