Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Who else makes sushi?
1  2  Next

imasinger

Post Sat, Oct 24 2009, 10:14 pm
Not sure if this is the right subsection, but here's my question.

We made it for the first time this week, after years of talking about it. Y.U.M!!! But it was a rush right before Shabbos to put it together and then clean up.

DH wants to make it regularly for Shabbos. I'd like to hear from other people who make it -- when do you put it together? Especially with the time change coming, and nobody is home until noon at the earliest, I'm concerned for the timing. If we use the canned fake crabmeat, can we put it together on Thursday night, and still have it taste as good? Would love to hear from those with experience.

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Oct 24 2009, 10:39 pm
dd makes it but only fresh. thursday night is too early.

Ronit

Post Sat, Oct 24 2009, 10:40 pm
I don't make it for shabbos, but I've made sushi twice.

Why don't you prepare everything on thursday (have e/t prepared in seperate bowls or pans) & then put it together when your husband leaves to shul.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sat, Oct 24 2009, 11:15 pm
When I make sushi, I assemble the rolls on Friday and then refrigerate them in Pyrex containers. Sushi really doesn't keep that well. I cut the sushi rolls just before serving, whether on Friday night or for Shabbos lunch..

In your situation I would use an electric rice cooker to have the rice cooked or nearly cooked when I got home, have the rice vinegar/sugar mixture already prepared (Thursday night), and have everything ready to assemble. Usually I fill my sushi rolls with avocado, sometimes shiitake mushroom cooked in sweetened soy sauce broth, or cucumber. I generally also make lox sushi (rolled differently) -- I do not care for fake crab meat.

As you gain more experience you will find the process will go much faster.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Oct 25 2009, 12:59 am
I make sushi sometimes, but not for Shabbos. Loads of fun, best and freshest sushi ever!, but the mess is huge.
Rubber Ducky's idea is a good one.

morahaviva

Post Sun, Oct 25 2009, 1:20 am
I have made sushi for seuda shlishis - I prepare the rice before shabbos, cut up the veggies and put them in plastic containers, then assemble while the men are at mincha. Its especially good on a rainy day when all the kids want to help - gives them something to do. If you do this, take the rice out of the fridge to come to room temp. Of course this is not as good as making it fresh....

bnm

Post Sun, Oct 25 2009, 1:34 am
where can I get sushi rice? what is the basic ingredients and equipment I need to make sushi?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Oct 25 2009, 2:04 am
bnm wrote:
where can I get sushi rice? what is the basic ingredients and equipment I need to make sushi?

You can find sushi rice in the supermarket (Kollel, Landau's, Friedman's...)
Just follow the instructions on the package.
You will also need rice vinegar, nori (sea weed), avocado, cucumbers, a bamboo mat, soy sauce. Wasabi powder and pickled ginger if you'd like/need. All available near the rice in the supermarket.
If you want crab sticks you can buy them at a sushi restaurant. Raw fish; ask for sushi grade (freshest) fish at the fish store.

bnm

Post Sun, Oct 25 2009, 2:08 am
ra_mom wrote:
bnm wrote:

You will also need rice vinegar, nori (sea weed), avocado, cucumbers, a bamboo mat, soy sauce. Wasabi powder and pickled ginger if you'd like/need. All available near the rice in the supermarket.
If you want crab sticks you can buy them at a sushi restaurant. Raw fish; ask for sushi grade (freshest) fish at the fish store.

thanks. my sushi habit is starting to get expensive.... I think if I can get it home made it will be cheaper.

my husband prefers his tempura-how do I do that?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Oct 25 2009, 2:12 am
bnm wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
bnm wrote:

thanks. my sushi habit is starting to get expensive.... I think if I can get it home made it will be cheaper.

After you make the sushi rolls, deep fry them.

bnm

Post Sun, Oct 25 2009, 2:14 am
ra_mom wrote:
bnm wrote:

After you make the sushi rolls, you fry them.

it isn't dipped in a batter first?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Oct 25 2009, 2:19 am
bnm wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
bnm wrote:

After you make the sushi rolls, you fry them.

it isn't dipped in a batter first?

http://sushiday.com/archives/2.....pura/

bnm

Post Sun, Oct 25 2009, 2:21 am
thanks. this will be my next project....... the winter is long and cold!!!!

MiracleMama

Post Sun, Oct 25 2009, 2:36 am
It's been a while but I used to make sushi a lot. When we had guests, since everybody likes different things, I would put out all the various filling and let people roll their own. Everyone enjoyed this way.

shabri

Post Sun, Oct 25 2009, 2:46 am
I prepare everything before shabbos. The rice and vinegar mixture (I leave the rice out of the fridge covered with a towel), veggies, fish (I actually use salmon & tuna--I get it fresh on Friday) and I put it together right before the seudah--Once you get the hang of it, you can roll them pretty quickly.

imasinger

Post Sun, Oct 25 2009, 8:15 am
Thanks for the tips and tricks!

This time, with our inexpert beginning, it took about 20 minutes to prepare, but it took at least that long to clean up afterward. I found the biggest problem to clean was the bamboo mat -- how do you get it really clean? And for those who roll it on Shabbos, do you soak the mat, knife, etc. afterward so that they're not impossible to clean after Shabbos?

BeershevaBubby

Post Sun, Oct 25 2009, 8:17 am
We keep our mat covered in Saran wrap. Others I know have it in a Ziploc bag. Then it's easy to clean.

YALT

Post Sun, Oct 25 2009, 9:34 am
I also cover it in saran. cover it both ways (horizontal & vertical)

I don't make it for shabbos, but I recently discovered a much easier qay to make sushi.
It's called sushi pizza.

http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....pizza

greenfire

Post Sun, Oct 25 2009, 11:19 am
doesn't wasabi come fresh ... why buy the powder ...

alpidarkomama

Post Sun, Oct 25 2009, 1:10 pm
greenfire wrote:
doesn't wasabi come fresh ... why buy the powder ...

The fresh doesn't last very long - a day or two at most. The powder lasts for months and you can make it up as needed. Cheaper too, since you can get a larger quantity.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes