Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Who else makes sushi?
Previous  1  2

alpidarkomama

Post Sun, Oct 25 2009, 1:20 pm
We just had sushi this shabbos. I make all the ingredients ahead of time, then we roll them up right before we serve them. We've used avocado, cucumber, fake crab, egg omelet (egg, soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil), squash, salmon (sushi-grade fish just means it's been frozen at -4 degrees for a week, so you can actually use any fish; we get a whole salmon and store it in our neighbor's sub-zero freezer Smile), sometimes cream cheese, fried tofu, spinach (cooked with soy sauce and sesame seeds), steamed carrots, etc., etc., etc. Tons of fun. We usually serve miso soup too with cut up nori (the only seaweed we can find kosher here) and tofu.

If we make it during the week, we like salmon that has a dab of mayonnaise and is lightly "grilled" with a propane torch (like what you'd use to carmelize sugar). YUM. Weekday sushi can also be made with tempura veggies. Drat. Now I'm getting hungry. Smile

imasinger

Post Sun, Oct 25 2009, 8:49 pm
alpidarkomama wrote:
We just had sushi this shabbos. I make all the ingredients ahead of time, then we roll them up right before we serve them. We've used avocado, cucumber, fake crab, egg omelet (egg, soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil), squash, salmon (sushi-grade fish just means it's been frozen at -4 degrees for a week, so you can actually use any fish; we get a whole salmon and store it in our neighbor's sub-zero freezer Smile), sometimes cream cheese, fried tofu, spinach (cooked with soy sauce and sesame seeds), steamed carrots, etc., etc., etc. Tons of fun. We usually serve miso soup too with cut up nori (the only seaweed we can find kosher here) and tofu.

If we make it during the week, we like salmon that has a dab of mayonnaise and is lightly "grilled" with a propane torch (like what you'd use to carmelize sugar). YUM. Weekday sushi can also be made with tempura veggies. Drat. Now I'm getting hungry. Smile

WOW, I didn't know that! Thanks, all, for the great ideas and recipes.

I should have thought of wrapping the bamboo mat, too. Yay for imamother!

cookielady

Post Sun, Oct 25 2009, 9:47 pm
This thread inspired me to make sushi tonight. Thanks.

bnm

Post Sun, Oct 25 2009, 9:49 pm
I think I'll make chicken sushi this week, tomorrow or the next day

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Oct 26 2009, 8:17 am
I will do sushi shabbat regularly, but ONLY FOR FRIDAY DINNER, not for during the day. Raw fish does not keep well. For the same reason,you can't prepare it on Thursdays either. Also the temperature/ consistency of rice is quite important--it should be room temperature, refrigerating rice makes it too hard. Real sushi restaurants never refrigerate cooked rice.

For that shabbosdik feel, you can also make gefilte maki with a bit of chraine. It's surprisingly good.

Wasabi--I have never seen fresh ones with hechsher. Where do you find it? We use Eden powdered with OK. Both tube and powder mainly uses horseradish. The real McCoy is actually roots (quite expensive) that you grind yourself just like horseradish.

mandksima

Post Mon, Oct 26 2009, 9:48 am
Can someone tell me how to use lox (rolled differently?) since I haven't found fake crab meat here. Thanks, now I'm in the mood...

ra_mom

Post Mon, Oct 26 2009, 1:25 pm
mandksima wrote:
Can someone tell me how to use lox (rolled differently?) since I haven't found fake crab meat here. Thanks, now I'm in the mood...

I found this link when I googled your request
http://www.facebook.com/topic......=3822
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes