Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How much are your monthly grooming expenses?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

willow

Post Sun, Oct 25 2009, 5:55 am
I am not ashamed to admit loving mani, pedi, waxing, facials and all stuff like that. I don't have the option to spend a lot or often but I do treat myself on occasion. It makes me feel pampered, relaxed and feminine.

Marion

Post Sun, Oct 25 2009, 6:16 am
I love a manicure/pedicure...but if I get one it's a treat, not a regular thing. I was going to say it's about 25NIS...when I have to use the mikvah!

I had a mani/pedi for my sister's wedding in July...I think the last manicure I had before that was for my birthday 2 years earlier...and before that was before MY wedding 3 years before that. (No wait; I think there might have been one when I was off on maternity leave with DS#1...)

amother

Post Sun, Oct 25 2009, 7:51 am
Mani/Pedi 2 times per month total price of 28 *2 with a five dollar tip each time is $66 dollars.
Wash One of my sheitels every month at $35 dollars
Makeup $30
Skin care free because I have good skin and got lots of samples.
Gym $33
Clothing/Shoes $200
Misc. $50

Total Amount: $415 dollars!

amother

Post Sun, Oct 25 2009, 10:11 am
I like the OP come from a wealthy family, but thngs like this were so not stressed! manicure and pedicure were considered a treat as teenagers. like for your birthday and such. my mom also sad, all shampoos are the same, doesnt matter if you buy the fancy ones at the big manhattan salons or dept stores, or rite aid brands. for years we used tresemme I think, then herbal essences for a while, whatever smelled good. I think my mom bought head and shoulders as well for the boys, as they didnt exactly like smelling like rosewater hdrangea or whatever other interesting smell herbal essences came up with for the day.
I never shaved, only wax. but that is pretty cheap in NY. I dont understand why all these posters are making such a fuss over "waxing eyebrows!" I have never in my life waxed my eyebrows. only legs, underarms, bikini.
I probably get a manicure now anywhere from once to twice a month. depending on how busy I am. it costs anywhere from 5 to 9 dollars in my neighborhood. Pedicures are infrequent esp. in the winter, and those are 15-20 dollars. probably like 8 times a year.
I dont spend alot on shampoos or soaps, all are from grocery or pharmacy. but my makeup is very exensive, all expensive brands (other than my 6 dollar mascara). that I have always spent alot of money on.

natmichal

Post Sun, Oct 25 2009, 12:20 pm
I've started buying a slightly more expensive shampoo/conditioner because I found it did make a difference, but that about the only thing unless you're including hand cream which I need if I don't want them to bleed since my skin is so dry.
I do dream about having a pedi one day but I can't think of having someone taking care of my feet - somehow it seems like making a person look so low I can't face the idea.

Maya

Post Sun, Oct 25 2009, 12:28 pm
I get a manicure a couple of times a year, usually for yomtov and simchas. I don't wax; I did electrolysis when I was single and I shave the rest. I buy shower products and soap that are not so cheap, but not very expensive.

But I do spend too much money on makeup.

greenfire

Post Sun, Oct 25 2009, 12:51 pm
absolutamenta nada ... who said spending money makes you beautiful ... whatever has to be done - I do it myself ...

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Oct 25 2009, 2:48 pm
I get my eyelashes tinted so I donn't need mascara, and have my brows waxed. I go once a month or once in 6 weeks.

I cut everything else out - I don't like to pay for services I can do myself. Yes, I prefer having my legs waxed to shaving them every week myself, but it just added up too fast.

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Oct 25 2009, 2:54 pm
amother wrote:
Mama Bear wrote:
none. ive never in my life had a manicure, pedicure, or waxing, and never will!

what about your eyebrows? Confused
what for? I dont see the need.

I dont wear makeup either, except for foundation, blush and lip gloss for simchos.

I dont know anyone personally who waxes their eyebrows.

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Oct 25 2009, 2:55 pm
I get my toenails cut by the podiatrist once a month. it's free. not a pedicure, just cut. I cant do them myself.

I really should go to electrolysis or laser for my facial hairs, but I dont have the time or money or pain tolerance. so I tweeze. and tweeze. and tweeze.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Oct 25 2009, 2:58 pm
amother wrote:
Mani/Pedi 2 times per month total price of 28 *2 with a five dollar tip each time is $66 dollars.
Wash One of my sheitels every month at $35 dollars
Makeup $30
Skin care free because I have good skin and got lots of samples.
Gym $33
Clothing/Shoes $200
Misc. $50

Total Amount: $415 dollars!

Ask your health insurance if they cover the gym. Mine does !

Barbara

Post Sun, Oct 25 2009, 3:03 pm
Trust me, different shampoos DO make a difference. I even have a couple of different kinds in the shower, depending on how I want my hair to look any given day. And you don't want to know what I spend on DS' shampoo, to deal with a stubborn dandruff issue that doesn't respond to Head & Shoulders or T-Gel.

I shave, not wax, but razor blades are relatively expensive, so a few dollars a month there.

Pluck the brows, have a nice tweezers, so free there.

I prefer scented shower gels and lotions for my dry legs; its a little luxury for me. Maybe $6 to $7 per month.

Skin care (facial cleansers, moisturizer/sun screen, eye cream), maybe $10 to $20 per month

I get a pedicure every 3 to 4 weeks during the spring and summer. I wear open toed and heeled shoes, and view them as a virtual necessity. Occasional manicures.

I love cosmetics, but don't buy them regularly (except to replace mascara). I couldn't begin to estimate.

relaxed

Post Sun, Oct 25 2009, 3:53 pm
When I was single, I spent almost nothing on beauty expenses. Maybe once a year, I'd renew my lip gloss or lipstick, my mascara, razors, and some nail polish. About twice a year, restock on moisturizer and toner. I did my own manicures, tweezed my eyebrows, shaved my legs and underarms, and endured (quite happily) my hairy private parts.

Then I got married.

Now it's mandatory pedicures (I'm sorry, I find it MUCH too hard to tend to that myself), and waxing specific areas on my body. That's my pre-mikveh ritual I cannot change. Add to that the self-manicuring, tweezing, shaving, etc-

In conclusion, I find my monthly expenses are just way too much. But I mean time-wise! Banging head

MiracleMama

Post Sun, Oct 25 2009, 3:58 pm
I'm very low maintenance these days. I used to get regular mani/pedi/wax but now I don't have the time, money or interest. I think it's been 4 years since I had any of those services. Maybe more.

gold21

Post Sun, Oct 25 2009, 4:31 pm
hmmm I cannot imagine ever going "natural" regarding hair growth. ive been busy in my life, BH, but how long does it take to shave? I would shave before I would brush my teeth. anyways, I dont have a newborn now, my youngest is 14 months KAH, so I take the time to shave legs/ underarms every other night. With a newborn, generally once or maybe twice a week. I dont like manicures. I do like pedicures, but dont want to waste the time or money. I regularly wax (every five weeks maybe?) eyebrows, lip, bikini. Actually this week has been quite a hectic week since my baby isnt feeling well, and neither am I, so I didnt have the time to get my eyebrows done altho they were in dire need of some attention, so I did it myself with Sally Hansen home wax kit, and it worked well!

amother

Post Mon, Oct 26 2009, 3:48 am
Here's my list:

I shave my legs and underarms couple times a week.

and once a month I go to get my eyebrows done, plus above lip, and sides of my face.
and also my arms.

I do my own manicures.

ABC

Post Mon, Oct 26 2009, 5:10 am
how comes nobody else seems to epilate?

I can't afford to wax and don't like the stubble that shaving gives, so I epilate underarms and legs every 2 weeks.

mani is a waste of time on me as only lasts 1 day. pedi - I can't stand anyone touching my feet and can do a good job myself anyway.

I'd love to do electrolysis on stray facial hairs - does it really work?

Ronit

Post Mon, Oct 26 2009, 9:58 am
ABC wrote:

Yups! My eyebrows where done by electrolysis & I went the last time 3.5yrs ago. I was pregnant in between & it didn't grow back. The best part in knowing that in my old age I won't need to be busy w/ it Wink

The lady who waxes for me was trying to get me to do laser on legs etc... I am really tempted to do it, but it's expensive!

ray family

Post Mon, Oct 26 2009, 1:27 pm
I barely spend money but it's bec. there isn't as much as when I was single.
back in those days I would get a manicure every week (I started at about age 14 as an incentive to stop biting my nails) I would get a pedicure every few weeks. always updating my makeup w/ new stuff. reg waxings etc.
nowadays (partially bec. I live in Israel and they're so expensive) no mani and pedis rarely buy makeup except for when I'm in the us and buy garbage drugstore stuff, wax my eyebrows every other month- and tweeze in between, bikini wax as often as necessary.
I try do my nails every week if not every other week but it def. doesnt compare to a manicure.
oh well I guess that's life......

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Oct 26 2009, 1:28 pm
JudyJudith wrote:
ABC wrote:

Yups! My eyebrows where done by electrolysis & I went the last time 3.5yrs ago. I was pregnant in between & it didn't grow back. The best part in knowing that in my old age I won't need to be busy w/ it Wink

The lady who waxes for me was trying to get me to do laser on legs etc... I am really tempted to do it, but it's expensive!

what if the style changes, though?
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics