Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How much are your monthly grooming expenses?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Rachie1

Post Mon, Oct 26 2009, 1:41 pm
I get manis and pedis for special occasions and once in a while just because I feel stressed and I think it is fun. So maybe 8 times a year total.

I get maybe one or two facials a year, because I might be on vacation and I want to do something fun and out of the ordinary.

I LOVE to buy makeup. I can't even imagine how much I must spend. But I am very laid back with my hair, I use drugstore products so I don't spend very much.

I don't like other people to touch my eyebrows, my mom taught me how to tweeze properly!

Happy Mom

Post Wed, Oct 28 2009, 11:57 pm
ABC wrote:
I can't afford to wax

If you do it yourself, waxing is cheap - the larger can of wax at the beauty supply store is about $10- 15 and lasts for a long time! Waxing isn't like rocket science - warm it up, spread it on (in the direction the hair grows), apply a strip of cloth, zip it off (opposite the direction hair grows). Fast, convenient, and inexpensive!

louche

Post Thu, Oct 29 2009, 12:26 am
Fox wrote:
I wasn't raised to spend a lot on grooming, but a negative score!? I was kind of insulted!

I have never been able to figure out why "high- maintenance" is considered a compliment. It's just a polite way of saying "has to spend a lot of time and money to look good." "negative maintenance" would imply "looks good without even trying," which sounds like a better deal to me!

Heaven preserve me from high-maintenance anything--floors, clothes, furniture, friendships or hair.

Happy Mom

Post Thu, Oct 29 2009, 2:15 pm
I agree, louche! High maintenance has a negative connotation to me, but simplicity is a beautiful virtue that is not only a joy to live with, but in line with Torah values.

Barbara

Post Thu, Oct 29 2009, 2:24 pm
louche wrote:
Fox wrote:
I wasn't raised to spend a lot on grooming, but a negative score!? I was kind of insulted!

I have never been able to figure out why "high- maintenance" is considered a compliment. It's just a polite way of saying "has to spend a lot of time and money to look good." "negative maintenance" would imply "looks good without even trying," which sounds like a better deal to me!

Heaven preserve me from high-maintenance anything--floors, clothes, furniture, friendships or hair.

Conversely, *low maintenance* could mean *doesn't care how she looks, and it shows*

Just saying.

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Oct 29 2009, 2:31 pm
Last time I got my eyebrows waxed was for my brother's wedding, and the time before that was for my own. I definitely like the way my brows like when I get them waxed, but never make the time to have them done.

Manicures and pedicures aren't worth the money - at least for me they're not, b/c it'll just get ruined from washing the dishes and cooking. And once I again, I can never seem to find the time to get stuff like that done.

Seraph

Post Thu, Oct 29 2009, 4:15 pm
Happy Mom wrote:
ABC wrote:
I can't afford to wax

If you do it yourself, waxing is cheap - the larger can of wax at the beauty supply store is about $10- 15 and lasts for a long time! Waxing isn't like rocket science - warm it up, spread it on (in the direction the hair grows), apply a strip of cloth, zip it off (opposite the direction hair grows). Fast, convenient, and inexpensive!
A brazillian neighbor of mine used to "wax" with sugar and lemon juice. I dont know exactly how she did it- if anyone knows that method, I'd love to hear it.

sys

Post Thu, Oct 29 2009, 6:21 pm
absolute necessity for eye brows about once a month.
dh would love if I got mani pedi's regularly but I dont feel the spending is necessary when there are many other things that have to get paid first.
soap, shampoo, conditioner are from costco
shave the rest about once a week (good razors can get expensive)

Barbara

Post Thu, Oct 29 2009, 6:40 pm
DefyGravity wrote:
Last time I got my eyebrows waxed was for my brother's wedding, and the time before that was for my own. I definitely like the way my brows like when I get them waxed, but never make the time to have them done.

Manicures and pedicures aren't worth the money - at least for me they're not, b/c it'll just get ruined from washing the dishes and cooking. And once I again, I can never seem to find the time to get stuff like that done.

Note to self. If Defy Gravity's pedicures are ruined by cooking and washing dishes, I'm not sure I want to eat at her house. LOL

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Oct 29 2009, 7:02 pm
ok, here goes:

I don't get mani/pedis.
I pluck my eyebrows with a tweezer. had to replace the tweezer lately, but that's not a monthly expense.
I go back and forth from epilating to shaving. depends on my mood. my razors last a good long time.
I never go for facials or any such.
I use a lot of moisturizer, but I still seem to be on the same large bottle for the last year. and I use whatever little samples I've gotten at hotels.
so yeah, soap, shampoo, conditioner. and I don't have to buy those on a monthly basis.

oh, and I rarely wear makeup. I've been considering dumping my whole collection and buying a very basic assortment just to have, but I generally don't wear. (though I admit I wore some this week, I need color if it rains all week.)

I used to do my sheitels myself, but now my sheitels are shot. so I got some cheap ones off of ebay. somehow the synthetic ones look a heck of a lot better on me than my expensive ones ever did. no intention of paying to have them set.

I guess I'm low-maintenance.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Oct 29 2009, 8:04 pm
Barbara wrote:
DefyGravity wrote:

Note to self. If Defy Gravity's pedicures are ruined by cooking and washing dishes, I'm not sure I want to eat at her house. LOL

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

amother

Post Thu, Oct 29 2009, 8:45 pm
oh my,
Im ashamed of my past spending so im staying anonymous for this one.
I always thought everyone did what I did I guess not....

When I used to be able to afford it in every couple of months I would spend:
eyebrows: $10
lip:8
Bakini: Ranging from $65-$80 depending where I went
Upper leg: $25-35 depending on the place
Electrolysis:$50-$65 depening on how much time spent there.

I remember one month spening over $200 and felt sick

I cant even afford just an eye brow wax these days let alone dealing with the hair growing through my chin...I gre up from a far from wealthy home but there was always an importance placed on feeling good about yourself and if removing unsightly facial hair (big prob in my family) was one of them then so be it.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 29 2009, 9:24 pm
Barbara wrote:
louche wrote:
Fox wrote:

Conversely, *low maintenance* could mean *doesn't care how she looks, and it shows*

Just saying.

LOL!! LOL THAT did not go unnoticed! Anyway, serious wowza. I always knew there were the negative maintenance ones, and the feverish maintenance ones, but the extremes are really opening and quite a humorous read!

I spend more or less the same as I did while I was single, with the exception of haircuts and having to get a little more resourceful to keep up a trendy wardrobe.

I wax a few times a year and pluck the stray hairs as they grow in.

I mani-pedi myself. It's much easier that way. I don't have to worry about getting a babysitter and the expense (of the sitter AND mani-pedi). I bought a few of my favorite Essie and Opi colors and replace them a few times a year. Occasionally I'll go to a salon for a French because I can't be bothered to do that on my own.

I shave twice a week or so. In the winter I get a little lazy with dark tights on. embarrassed When I swam frequently I was much more on top of it.

I get a haircut 2 or 3 times a year. embarrassed My hair is very long, but I don't know, somehow I just get lazy when it comes to making an appointment.

I replace my makeup 5 or so times a year when I need something new like a bronzer, new eyeliner, or whatever.

I wash and blow my shaitels myself. (I buy- or try, if I can convince the hub!- new ones every 2-3 years.)

I buy clothing often but try to be really savvy and buy bargains.

Seraph

Post Fri, Oct 30 2009, 6:14 am
amother wrote:
oh my,
Im ashamed of my past spending so im staying anonymous for this one.
I always thought everyone did what I did I guess not....

When I used to be able to afford it in every couple of months I would spend:
eyebrows: $10
lip:8
Bakini: Ranging from $65-$80 depending where I went
Upper leg: $25-35 depending on the place
Electrolysis:$50-$65 depening on how much time spent there.

I remember one month spening over $200 and felt sick

I cant even afford just an eye brow wax these days let alone dealing with the hair growing through my chin...I gre up from a far from wealthy home but there was always an importance placed on feeling good about yourself and if removing unsightly facial hair (big prob in my family) was one of them then so be it.
if looking good (as in removing stray facial hairs) is important to you but you dont have money for waxings, try tweezing? it takes more time, but its free.

Tziril Miriam

Post Sun, Oct 05 2014, 4:35 pm
I used to be furry. Used everything. Then I got a Braun epilator and no longer have to shave my underarms or legs. When I notice a wiry hair on my face, I run the epilator on my face. Sometimes it makes my face look a bit red for the day, but that could be because I'm always in a rush and too heavy handed.

I get an excellent, expensive haircut every 5 weeks. With tip, $125. I pay that amount voluntarily because I don't want any processes or treatments or blow-out, and with all his other clients my hairdresser gets paid for multiple services all within the same time that he spends with me. I've never owned a wig. I only cover when outside the house.

I don't wear make-up. It's not mandatory in my community.

I use a bar of Ivory soap to wash my hair because DH hates the smell of shampoo.
So my total cost is a splurge haircut.

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Oct 05 2014, 4:59 pm
If you are happy, great, but a wig saves a lot of money. My kind. And time. Which is a limited material. And anxiety, also a limited material.

You can do your own nails creditably. Depending how wow you need to be in your life.

The dentist is where I spend anything, anything it takes, but you didn't mean that.

The Happy Wife

Post Sun, Oct 05 2014, 5:35 pm
amother wrote:
Mani/Pedi 2 times per month total price of 28 *2 with a five dollar tip each time is $66 dollars.
Wash One of my sheitels every month at $35 dollars
Makeup $30
Skin care free because I have good skin and got lots of samples.
Gym $33
Clothing/Shoes $200
Misc. $50

Total Amount: $415 dollars!

That's all per month? Wow. ( not criticizing. I wish I had room in my budget for some of those things!)

finallyamommy

Post Sun, Oct 05 2014, 5:49 pm
Tziril Miriam wrote:
I used to be furry. Used everything. Then I got a Braun epilator and no longer have to shave my underarms or legs. When I notice a wiry hair on my face, I run the epilator on my face. Sometimes it makes my face look a bit red for the day, but that could be because I'm always in a rush and too heavy handed.

I get an excellent, expensive haircut every 5 weeks. With tip, $125. I pay that amount voluntarily because I don't want any processes or treatments or blow-out, and with all his other clients my hairdresser gets paid for multiple services all within the same time that he spends with me. I've never owned a wig. I only cover when outside the house.

I don't wear make-up. It's not mandatory in my community.

I use a bar of Ivory soap to wash my hair because DH hates the smell of shampoo.
So my total cost is a splurge haircut.

Tziril Miriam, what community are you in? I would love to be somewhere where makeup is not mandatory! (I don't wear it, regardless. But I get fussed at.)

rainbow dash

Post Sun, Oct 05 2014, 5:56 pm
ok ill bite,

once a month eyebrow wax at a salon 10eu
Makeup I buy as I need, maybe 20eu a month
I shave legs etc at home and dh buys cheap cream and shavers
I do at home face masks with cream brought from nivea
face creams 12 EU for 2 months
do my own pedicures
dont have long finger nails
2 wigs get clean once every 2 months
perfumes I get a lot of samples but have 5 main bottles that we buy duty free maybe once a year.
shampoos etc dh buys for cheap.

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Oct 05 2014, 6:16 pm
Very little. I buy makeup, moisturizer, etc. as needed; maybe comes to $30 a month. Shampoo, soap, etc. as needed, usually on sale. My DD does sheitels and won't take money from me. I last bought a new sheital around 5 years ago, and have barely worn it (bought it for DS' chasunah) as I'm still wearing the ones I bought before that.

I don't have brows done; I tweeze them myself, cut my own hair, shave my legs with a razor (need to buy a pack of blades once or twice a year). Don't do manicures or pedicures.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics