Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How much are your monthly grooming expenses?
Previous  1  2  3  4

Twinster

Post Sun, Oct 05 2014, 6:17 pm
Seraph wrote:
A brazillian neighbor of mine used to "wax" with sugar and lemon juice. I dont know exactly how she did it- if anyone knows that method, I'd love to hear it.

I don't know about waxing with these ingredients, but I make my homemade shaving cream with 1/2 cup coconut oil, 1 1/4 cups sugar, and some lemon juice. Wet legs, massage cream into legs. Shave carefully. Rinse. Repeat. Follow with lotion. Legs are so silky smooth, and it lasts a bit longer than regular shaving.

I'm assuming that the "wax" thing is something similar, only heated.

Tziril Miriam

Post Sun, Oct 05 2014, 11:45 pm
Esheschayil, I live in Boston and love it. It's a very comfortable place. But housing costs are comparable to NYC, London, Paris, Melbourne. I look around at everyone at shul and think "They can't be rich, they look so hamish!" And they must look back at me and think the same. Somehow we all manage to live within our means. Having so many universities and colleges and international people makes a difference in the cultural tone and attitudes here. You need to have an education to get a good job in Boston, or be very talented. I met my husband after college here. Many people come to Boston to school and then stay. Well, that's why I never even think of wearing make-up. Totally unnecessary, unless you want to.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 12:42 am
I get a mani every other week and a pedi every fourth week. I take care of my hair myself since I cover. I color it and deep condition. I buy makeup every 3 or 4 years except for mascara which I buy every 6 months for hygiene reasons. When I buy makeup I will buy Chanel so it probably averages out to a normal person. I do my own wigs. With clothes and going out to eat without DH, I spend around 2 grand a month.

naturalmom5

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 12:45 am
amother wrote:
Mani/Pedi 2 times per month total price of 28 *2 with a five dollar tip each time is $66 dollars.
Wash One of my sheitels every month at $35 dollars
Makeup $30
Skin care free because I have good skin and got lots of samples.
Gym $33
Clothing/Shoes $200
Misc. $50

Total Amount: $415 dollars!

Wow!!
Good for you
That's almost my rent

amother

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 4:03 am
I get my eyebrows done every 8-10 weeks, I get my sheitel washed/set 3-4 times a year.
no mani/pedi, no skincare (not necessary , my skin is fine), no waxing (I simply shave with cheap disposable razors), I buy supercheap makeup once a year or so... we buy a special shampoo , one bottle lasts about a month and costs 4 euro... I dont think we spend more than 150 euro per year.

I guess we could afford more, but I couldnt care less. I rather spend the money on other things (comfortable shoes, a holiday or nice books...).

I dont think looking groomed correlates with the amount of money you spend for grooming.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 4:43 am
monthly? absolutely nothing. I dont get manis, pedis, waxing. nothing.
I buy new shaving razors every six months or so. buts thats it.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics