Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Chips or cake?

Mrs. XYZ

Post Sun, Oct 25 2009, 10:43 pm
Which would you rather give your child as a snack?

Chips- made of potatoes or corn, but is fried.
Cake- has flour and eggs, but also tons of sugar and oil.

I think most mothers would rather give cake, but I imagine that a slice of cake has about as much sugar as a lollipop, no?

pecan

Post Sun, Oct 25 2009, 10:47 pm
Why is there a choice?
I give chips if they have zero trans fat and are baked - the ones with the least sodium I can find.
I bake cupcakes and muffins - I substitute white whole wheat flour for the regular flour, and halve the sugar. I either use smart balance or oil (there's nothing wrong with those).
I make my own popcorn - it's cheap, easy and delicious. It comes out best in a pot instead of a machine.

Reality

Post Sun, Oct 25 2009, 10:52 pm
pecan wrote:
Why is there a choice?
I give chips if they have zero trans fat and are baked - the ones with the least sodium I can find.
I bake cupcakes and muffins - I substitute white whole wheat flour for the regular flour, and halve the sugar. I either use smart balance or oil (there's nothing wrong with those).
I make my own popcorn - it's cheap, easy and delicious. It comes out best in a pot instead of a machine.

ditto on the popcorn. My kids love it. I would be cautious about using smart balance. Today they say there is nothing wrong with it but in my book margarine is margarine. You can't trust it.

I bake with WW flour all the time & my kids are thrilled to eat it for a shabbos treat!

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Oct 25 2009, 10:59 pm
cake may have as much sugar as a lollipop, but, and this is a big BUT--

there are other ingredients to counter it. the sugar won't hit an empty stomach full force. lollies, on the other hand...

I have no objections to chips. baked is preferred, but a few fried chips here and there are ok.

every food in moderation. as long as it contains food.

Happy Mom

Post Sun, Nov 01 2009, 5:36 pm
I'd rather give chips; when I buy chips I get the ones made by Garden of Eatin', so they're organic and pretty good comparatively speaking.

If the cake has oil in addition to sugar, why would most mothers prefer the cake?

(I'd stay away from Smart Balance, as it's an artificial fat created in a lab. I prefer to eat food that comes in a form as close to the package H-shem created it in. Smile )
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics