Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
My computer guy insists k9 is spyware

lubmommy

Post Mon, Oct 26 2009, 3:36 pm
He says that any free software is spyware and they make their money by getting things off your computer. He insists it's slowing my computer way down.
Has anyone heard this before? Is there any other filter that you can recommend?
Thanks

jupik

Post Mon, Oct 26 2009, 3:49 pm
You may not have heard of Blue Coat before, as we're not really a consumer company. But our story is an interesting one, as are the events that brought us to offer K9 Web Protection to the community, to help create a family-safe Internet experience.

Blue Coat, based in Sunnyvale, California, is a high-technology company with a focus on "Making the Web Safe for Business." As the Internet has evolved, companies rely more and more on the web and the web browser as a primary tool for connecting with all kinds of resources. But as the Internet has evolved, so have the threats that can come from malicious content, inappropriate use, and poorly-constructed web applications.

Blue Coat builds a Secure Proxy Appliance (ProxySG) and related products that medium and large enterprises use to add a fundamentally new layer of Internet security between their employees and the Internet. Filtering out inappropriate web content is just one of the many capabilities available on Blue Coat's ProxySG product line.

In November of 2004, Blue Coat acquired a powerful content filtering technology when it bought Cerberian, located in Draper, Utah. This technology forms the core of Blue Coat Web Filter, and the Blue Coat Web Filtering Service, used by our enterprise ProxySG customers. It is this core technology that K9 uses to provide the market's best URL filtering solution. (For a comparison of Blue Coat Web Filter technology against other enterprise-class URL filters, visit our News Section and our Resources Section)

Shortly after completing the acquisition of Cerberian and its technology, Blue Coat's corporate executives saw a unique opportunity to bring something extremely important to local communities and families. In a significant departure from our tried-and-true enterprise business, Blue Coat decided to make K9 Web Protection a consumer product, with the goal of helping to provide a "Family-safe Internet". We hope you like it and welcome your feedback.

If you want to learn more about Blue Coat as a company, and about making the web safe for business, please visit www.bluecoat.com.

http://www1.k9webprotection.co.....x.php

overthehill

Post Mon, Oct 26 2009, 4:57 pm
So what is a good company?

One that will allow this site and allow me the freedom to add/delete sites and wont slow down my computer either?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Oct 27 2009, 9:28 am
Your computer guy doesn't know what he's talking about. They are not making money off of spying on your computer. They make money by having products you pay for (with an arm and a leg), but K9 is harmless in regards to malicious behavior. (I think it might have even started through some Christian activists wanting safe computers, but I might be misremembering.)
Whether it slows down your computer is a separate issue (what OS are you running? How much memory do you have? etc), but it's the best filtering software I've found that's free and is recommended by top computer security people I know* who are frum and out there to help the community.

*read: government will consult with them, google has interacted with them, etc...not run of the mill joe shmo

Isramom8

Post Tue, Oct 27 2009, 9:32 am
K9 is not spying on you and really shouldn't be slowing down your computer. Find out how to add it to a list of "allowable programs" so that your computer will start accepting it with more love.

lubmommy

Post Sun, Nov 08 2009, 12:10 pm
Thanks for your answers, everyone. Now I feel more confident. My computer guy thinks that any software you don't pay for is dangerous. Go figure...

ShakleeMom

Post Sun, Nov 08 2009, 2:31 pm
Nope, k9 is legit. It may not be the best, but it's legit.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics