Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Work with no financial gain
Previous  1  2  3

1stimer

Post Wed, Apr 06 2005, 11:41 am
Quote:
Or is it b/c it might send some of us, incl me on a guilt trip . And whats wrong w/h that anyway

a guilt trip is only good if:

1. something truly wrong has been done,
2. it will bring about change for the better.

How does sending working moms on guilt trips do any good?

1stimer

Post Wed, Apr 06 2005, 11:43 am
pearl wrote:
Motek, what's your point on posting this?

motek wrote:
I saw fit to post it in this thread

I'm just repeating the question: what's your poiint?

1stimer

Post Wed, Apr 06 2005, 11:45 am
Quote:
Just think about how trying it is for a mom who loves her kids dearly to spend 8+ hours a day with her children (as attested to by the posts here). Why would we think that for a mere $5-$10 an hour someone else is going to just be able to shower our children with the care, love, chinuch, and attention they need that we can't give them.

because the babysitter knows that in x hours the kids are going home. LOL anyway noone is saying that babysitter is just as good as mother just that it's not so traumatic for child.

1stimer

Post Wed, Apr 06 2005, 11:48 am
frielich wrote:
But agreed a women should have an outlet wether volunteer or working

so what's the difference if she is working or not then? Confused

1stimer

Post Wed, Apr 06 2005, 11:49 am
new research shows that kids of working moms fare equally well on social and intellectual developmental tests as their peers.

for more details read this week's hamodia

Tefila

Post Wed, Apr 06 2005, 12:38 pm
Full time is I think the issue being discussed here.... full time only! And now I'm out of here LOL

mp

Post Wed, Apr 06 2005, 12:47 pm
Quote:
Just think about how trying it is for a mom who loves her kids dearly to spend 8+ hours a day with her children (as attested to by the posts here). Why would we think that for a mere $5-$10 an hour someone else is going to just be able to shower our children with the care, love, chinuch, and attention they need that we can't give them.

Actually, I completely agree with this. Most daycares are very poorly staffed and those who work there are underpaid, undereducated and overworked. There are some places that are adequate, but for the most part, a childcare situation is not good unless there is one adult and at most 2-3 infants or toddlers. I think that sharing a good nanny between two or three neighbors, for example, might work out okay. But it is very sad that daycares are so horrible. I learned the hard way and now we have a russian babysitter.

Motek

Post Wed, Apr 06 2005, 2:52 pm
[quote="1stimer"]
pearl wrote:
Motek, what's your point on posting this?

Quote:
I'm just repeating the question: what's your poiint?

seems you missed my post which responded to your question

and by the way, what's the point in your posting asking me why I'm posting?

Motek

Post Sun, Apr 10 2005, 5:09 pm
freilich wrote:
And look at women who worked in those days Like Sara Schneirer, Rebbetzin Chana and Rebbetzin Devorah leah just to mention a few!!

Sara Schneirer did not have children.

Rebbetzin Chana and Rebbetzin D.L. worked? what work?

carrot

Post Tue, Jul 26 2005, 6:05 pm
I have no idea what things used to be like in the shtetl, but just an interesting thing that I observed in a third world country: mom was running a shop in a little stall (probably selling maybe one thing a day if she was lucky), it was about nine at night, and her kid was sleeping literally on the floor of the stall. these people were definitely dirt poor by western standards, although maybe the fact that she had a job at all made her rich by their standards. and maybe the kid would be considered neglected or something, if that is relevant to say in a place where it is probably not possible to do better. no toys in sight, almost for sure not enough food - but that kid probably does not have any attachment issues!

I am not trying to draw any conclusions from this - just an interesting thing.

I also saw young kids being shlepped around by their dads who were taxi drivers or delivery men. also late at night. probably those kids, for sure the younger ones, do not go to any school and spend the whole day like that shlepping around.

also something interesting, and then I will stop because this is definitely off topic, but one guy I spoke to told me he is 22 years old, married for 2 years, now saving up money for a second kid. and by saving up money, he meant saving up money - months and months and maybe more of hard, boring work - just to pay for a doctor's assistant to attend the birth. (the equivalent of about $300.)

really, no point here and certainly not suggesting we act like these people in any way but just thought it would be interesting to share. I find it mind-boggling.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics