Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Every Shabbos, a "casualty"
1  2  3  Next

chocolate moose

Post Mon, May 01 2006, 7:05 pm
Does anyone have that every single Shabbos, at least one thing does not come out right?

I do............

Except last Shabbos, several things didn't come out right:

The noodle salad had too much mayo

and

The veg. salad didn't have a good taste - I used the inside of the cabbage which maybe wasn't the best part.

oh, and

the choc. chip bars burned up a little bit............

hisorerus

Post Mon, May 01 2006, 7:11 pm
I stopped putting food on the blech. Either it all dries out, or it goes bad. Forget it! Cold food Shabbos day, and it's too bad!

Tefila

Post Mon, May 01 2006, 7:19 pm
Quote:
Cold food Shabbos day, and it's too bad!

Or a crock pot or hot plate. blech by me never worked eigther Confused

shayna82

Post Mon, May 01 2006, 7:33 pm
yeah, theres always one food that donst come out right. either because its missing a main ingredient, or too much of an ingredeint that makes it taste really awful. I dont end up serving it if its that bad.

most things taste awesome, I have finally perfected putting the right amount of salt in soup!

binah918

Post Tue, May 02 2006, 5:36 am
This thread reminds me of one of our first times having Shabbos guests after we got married. My husband forgot to tell me he had invited friends for Shabbos day until Friday afternoon. I freaked out! We had nothing in the house...(we were eating out by night and I had only made challah and salads by day). Not only did I have NO time to prepare and nothing even to prepare with, but we were just married and everything I made was still an "experiment." Usually for the worse. (B"H, I've developed my cullinary skills since then...)

Anyway, I found a recpie for rice-stuffed peppers. I made them and they looked pretty good. I also knew how to make a really good spinach rice. Then I made a lentil stew kind of thing. It also looked ok. But it was too saucy to eat alone, so I decided to make rice to go with it. Then we had one green salad, chumus, chatzilim and challah. I was pretty proud of myself. I pulled together a decent Shabbos meal with no ingredients in the house and with very little time.

Come Shabbos day, we're sitting at teh table and I was so embarrased. After I cleared away the salad, chumus and chatzilim, I served the "main course." As I was looking at everyone eat I realized I had served them three different rice dishes! Rice was everywhere! People were trying to be nice, but it was SO obvious that I had prepared the most ridiculous meal. One person complented my on the rice-stuffed peppers, another on the spinach rice and a third on the lentils and rice!

I wanted to cry!

tziviakayla

Post Tue, May 02 2006, 5:47 am
There was a newly married couple in our town that we had been inviting for a meal for several months. Each time it did not work out, but they were finally able to join us. About 1/2 hour after I lit, I noticed my dh had forgotten to plug in the crockpot. We spent Shabbos morning trying to come up with different dishes to make up for the lost cholent!

DefyGravity

Post Tue, May 02 2006, 7:08 am
I use the blech every saturday, and the food NEVER dries out.
I always put a foil pan on the blech, and then place the food on that. If I would put the food directly on the blech, it would definitely dry out.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, May 02 2006, 7:12 am
Aha! So, it's not just me!

gryp

Post Tue, May 02 2006, 7:14 am
Quote:
People were trying to be nice, but it was SO obvious that I had prepared the most ridiculous meal

I would just think you were trying to use up all your rice. Smile

Motek

Post Tue, May 02 2006, 1:31 pm
SaraG wrote:
Does anyone have that every single Shabbos, at least one thing does not come out right?

Things dry out on the blech if you don't cover them. You also have to learn how to adust the fire properly. Too small, food can spoil. Too high, food burns.

realeez

Post Tue, May 02 2006, 1:36 pm
I think you also have to know how to "experiment."
B"H I usually don't have problems but one time we had a brown lunch (except the salad!) - chicken in puff pastry, butternut squash kugel (looked brown), cholent, potato kugel!
I only realized when everything was on the table!

Motek

Post Tue, May 02 2006, 1:38 pm
Sure you can experiment. How about doing it earlier in the week? Or tasting it before Shabbos so you know whether it's good?

DefyGravity

Post Tue, May 02 2006, 2:28 pm
Sarag, I have issues that come up all the time!

This week I made meat sauce over perogies. I don't know where my brain was, but I put the sauce over the perogies when I made the dish, instead of keeping them separate until serving - and they were so mushy! I was so annoyed with myself for making such a stupid mistake.

So many times I've forgotten to spice something enough, or I'll forget to spray a pan with Pam, or overcook something that I've made a gazillion times.

One time I had the stupid idea of using duck sauce as a glaze on my deli roll instead of my usual egg. Well, I had put the glaze on while the dough was still raw (like I would do w/ egg), and of course, the duck sauce totally burnt! It didn't taste bad, but looked terrible!

It happens to the best of us!

Mommy912

Post Tue, May 02 2006, 5:33 pm
Come on guys, be nice. Don't tell me that you have never burnt food. The phone rings, the kids scream, the oil spills.. It takes more than following the recipe and learning how to adjust the fire to get good food.
This thread is not a controversial topic - if you have no kitchen mishaps than we are all very proud. Care to share your secrets - or do they involve takeout food?

chocolate moose

Post Tue, May 02 2006, 5:34 pm
No. You two/three are playing us for fools.

realeez

Post Tue, May 02 2006, 5:48 pm
Of course it happens to the best of us!

What I was saying about experimenting - some ppl like to play around with ingredients when they are baking and usually are in for disaster - may not work to put applesauce in instead of all the oil but cooking leaves more room for error! it's usually no biggie to put in mushrooms in a dish (as long as you like them). My friend was telling me that she knows someone who is an amazing cook but can't bake a cake to save her life - she loves experimenting but it doesn't really work for baking unless you know what you are doing!

didan

Post Tue, May 02 2006, 6:02 pm
B"H

Hey, I'm going to disagree too! I rarely have "mess-ups" with my Shabbos food. It usually comes out delicious, just enough salt, not burnt, etc.

ektsm

Post Tue, May 02 2006, 6:18 pm
I think you have messups when you are distracted. If I have too much on my mind then I just neglect the effort and time I need to make food properly. For example I will burn the onions before I put the stir fry veg's in. It's important to think clearly when you are cooking for such a special time.

shopaholic

Post Tue, May 02 2006, 7:22 pm
I have to disagree too. I have had a mess up here & there over the years, but generally everything is great. And last week specifically, I had 4 guest on Shabbos, so I made a 4 course meal & everything came out fine.

Crayon210

Post Tue, May 02 2006, 7:25 pm
I have had a few mess-ups (mostly when I first got married and didn't really know what I was doing), but usually these days it's "I didn't like that as much as I thought I would" or something like that, nothing more serious, BH! :-)
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen