Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Do you give your kids the flu shot?
1  2  Next

shira

Post Mon, Nov 02 2009, 2:13 am
I'm not going to but am a nervous wreck the whole winter (have spent time in the hospital w/ a 1.5 yr old who had pneumonia......). And Especially with swine flu going around......Any alternative ideas to keep them healthy? They suggested Sambucol (elderberry and other stuff) in the health food store.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Nov 02 2009, 2:18 am
I give.

For myself, as it's a bit less important, I take the "homeopathy vax". Makes everyone laugh that I would believe in it but I used it for three years now and didn't catch the flu.

Marion

Post Mon, Nov 02 2009, 2:20 am
Nope. And thank G-d, they've not had the flu. I don't take it for myself either.

the world's best mom

Post Mon, Nov 02 2009, 4:26 am
I gave it to two of my kids- the baby and the one who gets high fever and febrile seizures when she's sick. I did not give it to my four year old, though.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Nov 02 2009, 6:20 am
No, I don't.
The elderberry is a good idea. Making sure they get adequate amounts of Vitamin C and D3 helps as well Smile

e1234

Post Mon, Nov 02 2009, 9:24 am
I got a call from the nurse in my kuppah that they recommend it for my baby (I don't know why just for my baby ) I told her I would think about it - but I'm not sure what to do either.

Can Pneumonia be caused by the flu? the last few years I was in the hosptial with different kids with Pneumonia

alpidarkomama

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 12:13 am
Yes, pneumonia can cause the flu.

alpidarkomama

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 12:14 am
I mean... the flu can cause pneumonia. (I think it's time for bed...)

e1234

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 12:21 am
so maybe we really should be giving the flu shot.
the nurse told me that misrad habriut recommends it?
why are people so against it?

catonmylap

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 1:02 am
I give my son flu shots (& us too, it's a matter of getting around to it).

I don't understand why so many people are against.

Doctors are all for it.

Marion

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 1:27 am
I'm not against the flu shot. However, the flu is just a flu; unless you (general you) have an underlying or potentially complicating condition it's usually pretty mild, even if you feel yucky for a few days. It's also seasonal, which means that if it vaccinates against 14 known strains, there are going to be 3 new ones that aren't "covered" that you're still exposed to. Unlike the childhood vaccines (AFAIK Polio virus doesn't mutate, nor do the measles). So I choose not to get it, and not to give it to my kids.

But the choice that's right for ME, is not necessarily the right choice for someone else, and I don't mean to tell anyone else what they should or shouldn't do in such a case.

catonmylap

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 1:37 am
Marion wrote:
I'm not against the flu shot. However, the flu is just a flu; unless you (general you) have an underlying or potentially complicating condition it's usually pretty mild, even if you feel yucky for a few days. It's also seasonal, which means that if it vaccinates against 14 known strains, there are going to be 3 new ones that aren't "covered" that you're still exposed to. Unlike the childhood vaccines (AFAIK Polio virus doesn't mutate, nor do the measles). So I choose not to get it, and not to give it to my kids.

But the choice that's right for ME, is not necessarily the right choice for someone else, and I don't mean to tell anyone else what they should or shouldn't do in such a case.

So, why is worth playing the odds that it will be okay when it could be potentially life threatening in a young child, and certainly the swine flu has taken some very unlikely victims, not to mention just sparing the misery of the flu??

If there was an ear infection that covered most expected stains of ear infections for the coming season and it was proven safe by doctors--would you give it to your kids?? I think about how miserable we all are when my son is sick, and if I could prevent that misery, why wouldn't I do that??

Do you do the chicken pox vaccine? (I hear that attitude, I had it and survived, my kids will too, it's a right of passage sort of thing.... Is that where you are coming from on this?)

amother

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 2:01 am
I had the flu shot last year and despite being told there are no side effects, came down with flu for the next 4 days. I was not impressed!!

so I don't think I'll get it done this year, but maybe for the kids as they didn't have any side effects from it, and my dr recommended it.

I though pneumonia was a separate illness. for kids you can get the prevenar vaccine against it.

Marion

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 2:10 am
catonmylap wrote:
Marion wrote:

So, why is worth playing the odds that it will be okay when it could be potentially life threatening in a young child, and certainly the swine flu has taken some very unlikely victims, not to mention just sparing the misery of the flu??

If there was an ear infection that covered most expected stains of ear infections for the coming season and it was proven safe by doctors--would you give it to your kids?? I think about how miserable we all are when my son is sick, and if I could prevent that misery, why wouldn't I do that??

Do you do the chicken pox vaccine? (I hear that attitude, I had it and survived, my kids will too, it's a right of passage sort of thing.... Is that where you are coming from on this?)

No, I don't do the varicella vaccine. In fact, when they changed the MMR to an MMRV I made the tipat chalav nurse go find an "old" vial that didn't have the varicella in it.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 6:01 am
1. Not ALL doctors are for it.

2. Prevnar is against pneumococcal diseases that can cause meningitis and other illness from that bacteria. It doesn't prevent your child from getting pneumonia (of which there are 2 types -- bacterial and viral). My son got pneumonia at 17.5 months.

3. A complication of the flu, especially in young children, is pneumonia. It's not so common, and pneumonia by itself is not all that scary. Sometimes it's worse than other times (oxygen levels can be low for example) and require hospitalization, but most times a child can heal at home just fine (like my son did).

Hodu Lashem

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 12:33 pm
Marion wrote:

I got the flu several years ago and it laid me out for over a week and I felt like I was DYING. It also led to pnuemonia and I ended up hospitalized. If you just "feel yucky for a few days", you did not have the flu! Now I get the flu shot every year and I make sure that my children get it too. I would never want to put my children at risk of going through any of that.

gryp

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 12:38 pm
Marion wrote:
catonmylap wrote:
Marion wrote:

No, I don't do the varicella vaccine. In fact, when they changed the MMR to an MMRV I made the tipat chalav nurse go find an "old" vial that didn't have the varicella in it.

The MMRV doesn't exist here anymore since it's been linked to seizures. It's not supposed to anyway.

Hodu Lashem

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 12:39 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
3. A complication of the flu, especially in young children, is pneumonia. It's not so common, and pneumonia by itself is not all that scary. Sometimes it's worse than other times (oxygen levels can be low for example) and require hospitalization, but most times a child can heal at home just fine (like my son did).

Don't be fooled to think that "pneumonia is not all that scary". I also thought that way. In fact when the doctor wanted to hospitalize me for the flu, I thought he was just being an alarmist. He told me later that I could have died. People still die from pneumonia, and not just the elderly. Young people. It is not something to play around with!

My advice to everyone is to get the shot! If you end up feeling "a little yucky" for a few days, believe me it's a small price to pay.

mom2bsn

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 2:47 pm
the flu shot CANNOT give you the flu..its dead..it takes 2 weeks for the shot to take affect so thats y you got the flu..
I dont see any reason why someone wouldnt give their children the flu shot and to themselves also especially if you are preg. Drs are recommending everyone get it especially because of H1N1.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 4:16 pm
Yes, I do.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics