Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Easy, yummy chicken recipe (for Israelis)
1  2  3  Next

jelibean

Post Mon, Nov 02 2009, 10:55 am
I donn't know if you can find silan (date syrup) outside of Israel, but a friend taught me a really easy, yummy recipe with the rich, brown stuff.

Use chicken wings, or drumsticks, or whatever parts you like, sprinkle with some black pepper and rub silan all over the chicken. Bake on high heat or broil uncovered. The silan carmelizes the chicken nicely, and it's got a hint of sweetness without being overbearingly so.

I tried it with turkey drumsticks baked with sweet potatoes once, and it was also very good.

Enjoy!

ABC

Post Mon, Nov 02 2009, 11:42 am
is that the same thing as date spread or is it more runny?

jelibean

Post Mon, Nov 02 2009, 11:44 am
Not the same thing -- it's just like a thick syrup. I think you can find it at most grocery stores -- it's very common in Sephardi cooking (I think Yemenite and Persian).

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Nov 02 2009, 11:52 am
No, I haven't seen silan sold outside of EY. I always have to bring a few bottles with me (too labour intensive to make one from scratch). Though I think you can use maple syrup or molasses as a substitute. I admit not exactly the same flavour, but similar enough to get caramelised.

I thought silan is more Iraqi/Baghdadi.

greenfire

Post Mon, Nov 02 2009, 11:58 am
so if I'm not israeli - I shouldn't try it ... Scratching Head

jelibean

Post Mon, Nov 02 2009, 12:34 pm
greenfire wrote:

Absolutely. You have no right to try this dish -- but only you, greenfire. Wink

Imaonwheels

Post Mon, Nov 02 2009, 3:03 pm
Its date honey and what is usually meant in land of milk and honey. I cook with it alot. Its great in cholent and on oatmeal. And on chicken, Can be used to make sweet, sweet/hot and yes with coarse pepper. Def Yum.

mominisrael2

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 1:34 am
I've been looking for a chicken recipe like this forever, is it really just date honey and pepper?? I tried making chicken with regular honey and it didn't come out carmelized...

pinkbubbles

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 1:44 am
ooooh. I have a whole bottle and I didnt know what to do with it. maybe I'll try this!

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 6:58 am
silan is soooo delish on eggy bread (french toast for non-brits) and pancakes. We also make haloset out of it. Pinkbubbles, did you buy it here? I'd like to know where you can find it.

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 7:35 am
greenfire wrote:

No, 'cuz it needs kedushas ha'aretz. Tongue Out

sunny90

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 7:58 am
Mrs Bissli wrote:
silan is soooo delish on eggy bread (french toast for non-brits) and pancakes. We also make haloset out of it. Pinkbubbles, did you buy it here? I'd like to know where you can find it.

I'd also like to know, my inlaws got it from someone who makes it and it was in this little jar--definitely not for making chicken! We mix it with ground nuts and cottage cheese and eat it with matzah on pesach. YUM! (yeah sounds...um, interesting, but its really good!)

freidasima

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 8:00 am
And unlike honey I was told that babies can eat it under a year there is no danger of botulism.

catonmylap

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 8:04 am
where do you usually find silan in the grocery store? What is it called in hebrew? How much does it usually cost?

Tamiri

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 9:04 am
It's called..... drumroll.... SILAN! סילאן and you can find it wherever they have it in your supermarket... you know that nothing is standard here LOL In my grocery, it's near the syrups. It's less expensive than honey. The one in my cabinet was 13.99 nis for 900 grams and is imported from Turkey. The ingredient is dates on this one (but I don't believe everything I read). There are Israeli brands but I was not happy with the additives listed. At least with this I can kid myself that it's pure(r).

mominisrael2

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 10:32 am
DH just called me from Rami Levy to report that he can't find date honey ANYWHERE! Sad He looked near the regular honey and near the syrup...which aisle can I direct him to?

muffinsmommy

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 10:34 am
I went out and bought a jar and my chicken is in the oven right now. What else can I use this stuff for? They only had one size jar and it is pretty big. Do I keep it in the fridge or in the cabinet once opened?

Tamiri

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 10:35 am
mominisrael2 wrote:
DH just called me from Rami Levy to report that he can't find date honey ANYWHERE! Sad He looked near the regular honey and near the syrup...which aisle can I direct him to?
Tell him to look near the jelly. and ASK FOR SILAN. be patient with him... it's a man thing LOL

Tamiri

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 10:36 am
muffinsmommy wrote:
I went out and bought a jar and my chicken is in the oven right now. What else can I use this stuff for? They only had one size jar and it is pretty big. Do I keep it in the fridge or in the cabinet once opened?
add to plain white yogurt. serve over pancakes. french toast. hot cereal. look up recipes on the internet. I keep it in the cabinet.

Imaonwheels

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 11:20 am
yup, we put it with the peanut butter, jelly, date and chocolate spread.

Temenim don't really use it.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey