Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Easy, yummy chicken recipe (for Israelis)
Previous  1  2  3  Next

mominisrael2

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 12:10 pm
Tamiri wrote:
mominisrael2 wrote:
DH just called me from Rami Levy to report that he can't find date honey ANYWHERE! Sad He looked near the regular honey and near the syrup...which aisle can I direct him to?
Tell him to look near the jelly. and ASK FOR SILAN. be patient with him... it's a man thing LOL

He claims he looked in that aisle... Exploding anger Scratching Head Guess I'll just have to see how my chicken comes out with maple syrup!

Mimisinger

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 12:14 pm
Mrs Bissli wrote:
No, I haven't seen silan sold outside of EY. I always have to bring a few bottles with me (too labour intensive to make one from scratch). Though I think you can use maple syrup or molasses as a substitute. I admit not exactly the same flavour, but similar enough to get caramelised.

I thought silan is more Iraqi/Baghdadi.

You can buy it in Queens, in a few stores. We bought it for R"H because Dh thought it was better to use date honey as was mentioned in the torah than bee honey. That said, it's not as sweet.

Tamiri

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 12:16 pm
mominisrael2 wrote:
Tamiri wrote:
mominisrael2 wrote:
DH just called me from Rami Levy to report that he can't find date honey ANYWHERE! Sad He looked near the regular honey and near the syrup...which aisle can I direct him to?
Tell him to look near the jelly. and ASK FOR SILAN. be patient with him... it's a man thing LOL

He claims he looked in that aisle... Exploding anger Scratching Head Guess I'll just have to see how my chicken comes out with maple syrup!
Maple syrup? You are going to have darned expensive chicken. It had BETTER be good!!!!!

mominisrael2

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 1:16 pm
Tamiri wrote:
mominisrael2 wrote:
Tamiri wrote:
mominisrael2 wrote:

Maple syrup? You are going to have darned expensive chicken. It had BETTER be good!!!!!

Just got the delivery -- he got the imitation maple syrup!! Really hoping I'm not going to poison someone this shabbat... Exploding anger

ra_mom

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 2:05 pm
I hope I can find it at Zion in BP! Will look.

loveNlearn

Post Wed, Nov 04 2009, 4:12 pm
Thank you! I made it for dinner tonight with sweet potato on the bottom and it was a hit Smile yummm

TzipG

Post Wed, Nov 04 2009, 4:35 pm
I just realized that I got a bottle of what looked like gourmet marinade but I had no idea what it really was in a rosh hashana gift basket from some realtives. Well, I went to go look and it says Silan on it!! I guess I'll try it out for Shabbat! Thanks!

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, Dec 13 2009, 6:43 pm
Mrs Bissli wrote:
No, I haven't seen silan sold outside of EY. I always have to bring a few bottles with me (too labour intensive to make one from scratch). Though I think you can use maple syrup or molasses as a substitute. I admit not exactly the same flavour, but similar enough to get caramelised.

I thought silan is more Iraqi/Baghdadi.

Update on Silan in London. I spotted it at Kosher Kingdom, next to honey/jam. I'm sooooo excited--can't wait to try it on eggy bread (french toast) tomorrow morning!!!

mominisrael2

Post Sun, Dec 20 2009, 10:03 am
I finally found it too -- my chicken came out great!!

Akeres Habayis

Post Sun, Dec 20 2009, 10:13 am
I use it to make oatmeal cookies w/o sugar.all dark desserts I use it in place of sugar.

pinkbubbles

Post Mon, Dec 21 2009, 11:04 am
I never answered where I got the silan from - I think DH's Aunt made it for Pesach, someone in the family does it every year for the community. I didn't buy it. Pretty sure I've seen it for sale somewhere though. I'm making this chicken now Very Happy

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jan 31 2010, 4:16 pm
jelibean, I found Silan in NY and made this recipe 2x. Thank you!

SJcookie

Post Thu, Jul 04 2013, 4:21 pm
jelibean wrote:
I donn't know if you can find silan (date syrup) outside of Israel, but a friend taught me a really easy, yummy recipe with the rich, brown stuff.

Use chicken wings, or drumsticks, or whatever parts you like, sprinkle with some black pepper and rub silan all over the chicken. Bake on high heat or broil uncovered. The silan carmelizes the chicken nicely, and it's got a hint of sweetness without being overbearingly so.

I tried it with turkey drumsticks baked with sweet potatoes once, and it was also very good.

Enjoy!

Want to try this recipe for Shabbat, but does anyone know how long I should bake this for and at what temp? Also, do I bake this uncovered or covered?
I'm terrible at guessing these things embarrassed

Kfar

Post Fri, Jul 05 2013, 1:01 am
This recipe sounds terrific (and we always have leftover silan after Pesach) so baking information would be great. Mrs. Bissli I think you are right that this is an Iraqi "thing" (although our family originally from Basra).

peacemom

Post Fri, Jul 05 2013, 3:54 am
Silan is definitely an Iraqi thing. Iraqis use it for charoset on Pesach. They add chopped walnuts to it. My MIL makes it ---yum!! I put a few spoonfuls in the cholent...gives it a deep brown color and good taste!

mandksima

Post Fri, Jul 05 2013, 4:06 am
I've started to use it as a sweetener in a Paleo banana bread recipe as the only sweetener besides the bananas and it is really good. I also use it in almost every marinade. For chicken wings, I broil them plain first, uncovered, with a little sprinkle of sea salt and when 3/4 done, I pour on the marinade on a broil till browned and sauce is sticky, maybe 20 min or so. I mix up silan, dijon mustard, crushed garlic or garlic powder. Sometimes a bit of all fruit apricot preserves if I want it sweet. Can add black pepper too. YUM!

etky

Post Fri, Jul 05 2013, 4:43 am
I marinate and bake cut up chicken breast (pargiyot are great too but much more expensive) in a mixture of silan, teriyaki sauce, a drop of soy sauce, garlic, ginger, hot chile pepper (the last 3 come together in a frozen cube made by Dorot) , a drop of sesame oil and a splash of olive oil. I also add a number of bay leaves before I bake the chicken. It gives it a special taste.
Mandksima - I'm going to try your mustard variation this Shabbat for a change. Glad I checked this thread before making the chicken. I'm in the mood for this type of chicken. I hope my family is too. I'm so sick of the rotisserie style chicken they seem to want every week.
Going to make it now...

shabri

Post Fri, Jul 05 2013, 7:01 am
I started making this chicken a few yrs ago. I slice onions, place chicken on top, rub in silan and sprinkle with salt, pepper and granulate garlic.

Cook for around an hour.

I also use silan in my challah instead of honey and in my granola bars.

Shuly

Post Sat, Jul 06 2013, 4:05 pm
Silan, garlic powder and za'atar is also delicious on chicken.

It's next to the honey in my grocery store in Yerushalayim.

Sanguine

Post Sat, Jul 06 2013, 4:06 pm
Always looking for the easiest recipes... I put some garlic powder on the chicken and then Silan and just bake - Maybe duck sauce is easier, but that's harder to find Very Happy and costs more
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey