Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
ISO crockpot recipe for whole chicken with rice

ABC

Post Tue, Oct 27 2009, 11:01 am
anyone got a good recipe using a crockpot with a whole chicken that includes plenty of rice to serve as a side with it?
tia

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Oct 27 2009, 11:23 am
I cook Tebeet, which is chicken with rice, in a foil pan for shabbat. I know some people make in crockpot. This freezes well.

[For rice]
3 cup rice
1 large onion, chopped finely
1 tbsp oil
salt and pepper
3tbsp tomato puree

[For chicken]
1 roasting chicken, whole or cut in 1/8th
spice rub (combination of paprika, cumin, cinnamon, cardamon, turmeric, dried mint, ground rose petal--optional. Or use schwarma/grill spice mix), salt and pepper.

* Rinse excess starch off rice, let soak for 15-20min
* Sautee onion.
* Rinse and pat dry chicken pieces well. Remove visible fat. Sprinkle VERY generously with the spice rub, salt and pepper. If using the whole chicken, inside can be stuffed LOOSELY with combination of cubed beef (or uncooked sausage out of casing) and soaked rice.
* Place chicken in a large pot/crockpot, pour 3 cups water (can be flavoured with chicken soup/veggie soup, or use a bit of white wine) and boil covered for 20min if using pieces, 45min for the whole chicken. Remove scum/fat on the top (though mostly I don't bother).
* Add sauteed onion and rice around the chicken, dissolve tomato puree. (You can transfer to a foil pan at this point.) There should be just enough liquid to cover the surface of rice. Cover and cook over a low setting for 2-3hrs minimum up to 5-6hrs. Sprinkle more spice over rice before serving if you want.

lech lecha08

Post Tue, Oct 27 2009, 12:14 pm
Lately what I've been doing is putting a whole chicken in the crockpot with whatever sauce I want sometime mid-morning on Friday. It ends up cooking 7-8 hours and falls apart into the right pieces instead of needing to be cut up. I just cook a pot of rice seperately and spoon some of the chicken sauce on top when serving.

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Oct 27 2009, 12:29 pm
equal amounts of rice and water
salt
chicken
spices

place rice, water, and salt in crock pot. stir.

place chicken on top of rice, covering as much rice as possible. any rice not under chicken will not get the chicken flavor.
spice the chicken as you normally would (I like onion powder, garlic powder, oregano, paprika, black pepper, etc. any fun combination will do.)

cover crock pot.

low 6-8 hours or high 3-4 hours. can be kept on warm setting overnight, but any exposed rice may become crunchy.

ABC

Post Tue, Oct 27 2009, 12:48 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
salt
chicken
spices

place chicken on top of rice, covering as much rice as possible. any rice not under chicken will not get the chicken flavor.
spice the chicken as you normally would (I like onion powder, garlic powder, oregano, paprika, black pepper, etc. any fun combination will do.)

cover crock pot.

low 6-8 hours or high 3-4 hours. can be kept on warm setting overnight, but any exposed rice may become crunchy.

is that enough water? usually ratio is 1 part rice to 2 parts water

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Oct 27 2009, 1:03 pm
ABC wrote:
mummiedearest wrote:
salt
chicken
spices

cover crock pot.

is that enough water? usually ratio is 1 part rice to 2 parts water

yup. the rice gets a lot of liquid from the chicken, which is why it tastes so good. though if you remove the skin from the chicken you may want to check it halfway through and see what the moisture situation is. I never skin chickens, so this is based on chicken with skin.

btw, if you have a large crock pot, you may want to consider using two small chickens as opposed to one large. two will cover more rice. the more rice covered, the better it tastes.

ABC

Post Tue, Oct 27 2009, 11:12 pm
any more recipes?

FraydaSue

Post Tue, Oct 27 2009, 11:55 pm
these recipes sound great - and so easy! I've never used a crockpot, but I'm sorely tempted to go out and buy one Very Happy

elmos

Post Thu, Oct 29 2009, 9:19 pm
I take 1 part rice and 2and a half to 3 parts water and some chicken consome and or onion soup mix and garlic powder, pepper and onion powder than I place the chicken on top of it and season with those spices and some times more depending on my mood. When I do for shab morning the chicken tends to fall apart a little bit. Good luck!!

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Oct 29 2009, 9:27 pm
ABC wrote:
any more recipes?

http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....ckpot

there are lots of crockpot threads here, but my recipes happen to be on this one Smile

FraydaSue

Post Sun, Nov 01 2009, 8:55 am
So I've borrowed a crockpot and am all inspired to start! DH wants chicken breasts. Will they work if I throw chicken breasts and spices over rice? How much water? Do I need a sauce?

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Nov 01 2009, 3:48 pm
FraydaSue wrote:
So I've borrowed a crockpot and am all inspired to start! DH wants chicken breasts. Will they work if I throw chicken breasts and spices over rice? How much water? Do I need a sauce?

you should not need a sauce, but you certainly can use one if you want. italian dressing is an easy sauce to use Smile

if you're using skinless chicken breasts, keep an eye on the rice. if it starts to brown at the edges before cooking time is up, add some water. or just use a lot of sauce.

if you're using a marinade, don't leave it on warm overnight. marinades tend to get somewhat bitter if you do that. if you're using tomato sauce, it should be fine for next day use.

ABC

Post Mon, Nov 02 2009, 8:38 am
when you say italian dressing, do you mean italian salad dressing/vinaigrette? I can't imagine that working on chicken!

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Nov 02 2009, 8:42 am
ABC wrote:
when you say italian dressing, do you mean italian salad dressing/vinaigrette? I can't imagine that working on chicken!

yup, italian salad dressing. seriously good on chicken. try it. you can marinade chicken cutlets in it and bake if the crock pot makes you nervous. it always gets compliments.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey