Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Do you eat what your kids eat?

pinkbubbles

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 7:39 am
I pretty much have altered my diet so that DS can eat whatever I am eating for all my meals. Basically I have added lots more vegetables to my diet and I don't give him sugar 99% of the time. I don't make him seperate meals like fish fingers or mac and cheese. If I do make something that I see people typically give their kids (example fish fingers or grilled cheese) he HATES it! So anyways we eat almost our meals together and he sees me eating exactly what he is eating. Same usually goes for snacks except I don't eat as often as he does and he can't always have what I'd have like nuts or eggs. I wonder if anyone else does this? I see so many other mothers eating bad lunches and killing themselves trying to think of what to give their kids to eat.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 7:45 am
How old are your kids? Can you give me examples exactly what you give breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks?

I have such problems figuring out what to give 15 month old, who only seems to like certian foods, will not even taste vegatables, (except sometimes sweet potatoe baby food) and won't even eat chicken, or eggs, will spit it out if I somehow get it to touch lips.. so I need ideas! Thanks.

Marion

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 8:04 am
At family mealtimes we all eat the same thing.

That said, we all eat our main meal at lunch, so at work or at daycare. Suppers are "easy" foods, like mac & cheese (not boxed), fishsticks, bourekas, cheese, yogurt, cereal, french toast... Yes, it's kid friendly, but I also know that they eat well mid-day (couscous, chicken, veggies, meatballs, fish patties, rice, and so on).

ora_43

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 8:10 am
I eat what my kids don't eat Wink . But yes, we eat the same food. If I tried to serve them something different, they'd just end up wanting whatever I was eating anyway.

louche

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 8:19 am
Once they were past the stage of eating pureed baby food, they were served the same food as the adults. Why would we do anything else, absent a food allergy or metabolic disorder? I hasten to add that we're not the sort of people to serve potato chips and colas for dinner.

pinkbubbles

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 8:39 am
amother wrote:
How old are your kids? Can you give me examples exactly what you give breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks?

I have such problems figuring out what to give 15 month old, who only seems to like certian foods, will not even taste vegatables, (except sometimes sweet potatoe baby food) and won't even eat chicken, or eggs, will spit it out if I somehow get it to touch lips.. so I need ideas! Thanks.

breakfast is usually a piece of bread with slice of cheese or spread with cream cheese. I also cut up fresh fruit like bannana, kiwi, grapes, etc. I'll have eggs which he can't have (hes not allergic but it gives him bad diaper rash). he doesnt like cereal but sometimes has oatmeal. hes not so hungry in the morning.

lunch I do as a main meal usually. meaning chicken or meat with a carbohydrate and at least one vegetable. I aim for 2 veg.

dinner can be simple, like a baked potato with shredded cheese, maybe another easy veg like canned sweet corn. I can't think of anything at the moment

Snacks can be cereal puffs, a multi grain rice cake, fruit, cheese, depends what hes eaten already that day

He used to not eat anything I offered eitheir. He had therapy for sensory issues and now feeds himself everything, including mushy foods which he used to detest. It wasnt the food, it was the way it felt in his hands/mouth. Hes one now and usually likes everything offered to him including chulent!! which he loves!! but he does NOT like brussel sprouts. I found out when I had some today LOL

Lady Godiva

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 8:41 am
My kids eat what I eat. I cook regular* dinners and they eat what I cook.

*Dinners that an adult would eat and enjoy.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 9:26 am
My kids eat whatever I cook for supper. Sometimes it's not from that night's supper but a previous night's as leftovers, but they eat what I make. Frequently they help me make the food as well which makes them more excited to eat it. My neighbors are flabbergasted how they eat "real" food and not just grilled cheese sandwiches (I don't believe I ever tried to make those!)
But I've always served food like that. Never opened a baby food jar. They ate what I cooked since they were babies, and developed a taste for regular food.

Love My Babes

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 9:49 am
I never cook seperately for my daughter. she eats what we eat. although there are a couple of foods that she doesnt like, but I guess everyone has their own taste.
I dont usually eat breakfast with her, cuz I give her in the morning before school and I usually wait till she leaves for myself, but bread sometimes with peanut butter, yogurt, leben, cucmbers (her favorite food)
she gets lunch in school now, so I dont have to worry about it, but its regular meals that they serve the big kids too.
supper is always what we eat. chicken, rice, meat, potatoes, meatballs, and she even eats kugel, chulent, ferfel, she loves pasta, she even eats string beans, which she didnt use to but shes seen me eat it, and that made her want it. now she wants them every time she sees them.
if u give kids the real food from when theyre young, u have less problems introducing it to them when theyre older.
if u are having trouble, I would tell the kids, look mommy is eating this too. its so yummy, u want to be like mommy...

flowerpower

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 10:28 am
I eat more then them. They eat what I serve but not always the same foods I eat. I don't eat dairy, regular supper meals. and fruit for breakfast but serve them good nurtitious healthy meals.

mommyof2boys

Post Sat, Nov 10 2012, 8:52 pm
please dont take this in the wrong way- I am sincerly happy for you that this is working for your family! it seems that maybe you have one child and probably a young baby. I do hope this trend continues well for you. let me tell you what has happened with us....

when my first started eating solids he ate like a grown adult. im talking everything and anything. as a baby I purreed chicken, meat, fish, etc. with a starch and a few veggies. sometimes it was ground chicken with spinach, red pepper, and brown rice. sometimes it was salmon, couscous, zucchini and carrots. etc. as he got older he ate everything we ate. meatballs, shnitzel, whatever. as he got older he stopped eating cooked veggies and moved to raw veggies like raw peppers, carrots, snow peas, etc. great fresh is best! long story short he started cutting lots more foods. I still serve a nutrious meal but most of the time his plate goes untouched. he eats carbs. carbs and more carbs. no protein at dinner (he eats yogurt for breakfast with a waffle and he eats cheese- either grilled cheese or mac n cheese- dont call the police!) foods that were a favorite are no longer even tasted. KIDS GET PICKY. well my next came along and didnt touch anything mushy! no baby oatmeal or purreed foods for him! so he completely skipped that stage where I could puree a protein and dark leafy veggies. I thought it was a sensory issues but really hes just picky. now hes over a year and he is tasting more things but still has his days. our go-to meals are bread with cream cheese and mac n cheese. on the odd day he will see a pan of chicken come fresh out of the over and he will gobble up two chicken legs.

anyway point to my story is- I am a jewish mother- I dont let my kids go to bed hungry. some will critisize me and say I am "feeding" into thier problem. but I see it otherwise. they are toddlers! they are going to be picky. and I am the mother, its my job to get some calories into them if I can. so yes. I serve burgers, and chicken fingers, and mac n cheese. and yes my husband and I have gained about 10 lbs eating like this, but my kids arent falling off the growth charts thanks to me.

I wish I could put out chicken stirfry and have them devour it like your kids, but it just becomes a battle, with 99% of the food on the floor and no one satisfied. really I should be making two dinners but I dont hae time or energy for that. every now and then I make sure my husband and I get a nice big salad in or a bag of steamed veggies.

KIDS WILL BE KIDS.

good luck and I hope your kids continue to be great eaters! because the alternative is NOT FUN! Smile

de_goldy

Post Sat, Nov 10 2012, 9:27 pm
this thread is from three years ago...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics