Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Going rate for evening babysitter
1  2  3  Next

MrsLeo

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 4:58 pm
I am starting a babysitting agency kind of thing in Brooklyn. I have girls sign up and when parents need a babysitter they call me and I sent them up with a babysitter that fits their location and time. My price is $8 an hour for the parents which is split up $7 an hour for the babysitter and $1 as my commission. The girls are 15-19 years old. One girl complained that even 13 year olds get $8-$9 an hour. Is this true? How much do you pay your babysitter?
PS. 5 years ago when I babysat as a high schooler I got $5 an hour.

Twizzlers

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 5:13 pm
I only have siblings babysit for me so I dont pay, but my sis (15) gets $10 an hour to babysit in the evenings.

I know, I remember the days when I was nervous to raise my rate from $5 up to $6 and I'm only 24, but thats how it goes!

chayitty

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 5:24 pm
I pay about $10 an hour...I never ask how much they take I just usally round it off

elkayed

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 5:34 pm
I pay 10$ an hour but think its too much for a girl to sit on my couch and talk on the phone while the kids sleep! But to get a responsible girl thats how much it is...

MrsLeo

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 5:56 pm
Wow. $10 an hour is A LOT. So a 16 year old girl can make $60 a night for doing nothing? That is crazy. I go insane working as an assistant for $10 an hour.

foreverhappy

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 5:59 pm
delete

Last edited by foreverhappy on Sun, Jul 10 2011, 11:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

yihyetov

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 6:01 pm
I was in high school at least 6-7 years ago, and back then I was getting $10 and im oot!

Maya

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 6:02 pm
I've never yet paid a babysitter, but the one time I tried to get one, the middle-aged woman asked for $13 an hour! I didn't hire her.

Raisin

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 6:05 pm
it's crazy. lately I've started asking my cleaning lady to babysit. She charges a little more but at least I know I'll come home to a clean house.

mommee

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 6:09 pm
when I was in high school 6 and a bit years ago the average rate was probably about 7 but there were times that I got paid 10 an hour. nowadays the babysitters definitely get 10 an hour.

yihyetov

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 6:10 pm
I think its normal. You are paying for someone to keep your choildren safe! If anything babysitters are under paid!

Raisin

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 6:11 pm
yihyetov wrote:
I think its normal. You are paying for someone to keep your choildren safe! If anything babysitters are under paid!

paying a 13 year old an exhorbitant amount is not keeping them safe.

Fox

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 7:12 pm
I can't speak for the going rate in Brooklyn, but here in Chicago it varies depending on the number of children, their ages, and how much real work is involved. My three teen-aged DDs all babysit regularly, and they get anywhere from $5 an hour (for an evening job where one or two children are sleeping) to $10 (a family of four leibedik boys close in age)

I have one DD who is extremely entrepreneurial, and she makes very sure that her high-paying customers come home to a clean house, bathed children, and even a load or two of laundry done if the machine is accessible. And she is always available for the high-payers. Although I've never gotten the sense that she does a lackadaisical job for people who don't pay as much, she quickly weeds out the kind of people who pay $4 an hour for a houseful of kids and a kitchen full of dirty dishes.

pinktichel

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 7:16 pm
Fox wrote:

I have one DD who is extremely entrepreneurial, and she makes very sure that her high-paying customers come home to a clean house, bathed children, and even a load or two of laundry done if the machine is accessible..

Wow! I could do with someone like her! Shame I don't live near you...

Mimisinger

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 7:19 pm
I pay $10/hr. for college aged or if I'm going out for only a couple of hours or less, I'll just give them $20. Most people in my neighborhood give $8-$10/hr. for high school girls. The worst is, the kids won't tell you what they get, they just will take whatever you give them..

That being said, I used to get paid $3/hr!

Fox

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 7:28 pm
pinktichel wrote:
Fox wrote:

I have one DD who is extremely entrepreneurial, and she makes very sure that her high-paying customers come home to a clean house, bathed children, and even a load or two of laundry done if the machine is accessible..

Wow! I could do with someone like her! Shame I don't live near you...

LOL! She traveled out of town this week to help DH at a convention. She won't be back until next Monday, and so far I've turned down three requests for her services. And it's pretty funny, because I can tell people are a little annoyed that she's not in town. Her sisters are booked solid, too. Maybe I'll suggest they call Maya and import a babysitter from Brooklyn!

MommyLuv

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 7:28 pm
I used to get $4 an hour to put five hyper kids to bed. It took all evening. I was 13 or 14.

Boy, those parents had it good when I came over! I never even realized how cheap they were being.

I don't really get babysitters, but if I need one, I pay about 9-10 an hour. And that's for sleeping kids.

Fox

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 7:33 pm
Oh, one other thing I find interesting: all three of my girls would rather babysit as a chesed than feel underpaid.

I see a definite business opportunity here, though. Rather than taking babysitting reservations all day long, I'll have them call Maya -- she can make the reservation, charge the parents, pay my girls, and give me a kickback! Can you tell I'm a true Chicagoan?! LOL

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 7:40 pm
ladies take $10 an hour. When I call the high school neighbor girls they ask for $8.00. you cant give a high school kid $7 an hour.

I thought of starting a babysitting agency too, but I wanted to charge $10 to sign up, and then I'd just fax or mail a list of names to the ppl who ask. this way I wont be busy trying to book the babysitters. $1 an hour is very little pay for the work it takes to run an agency.

MrsLeo

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 8:17 pm
What do you suggest would be a fair price for all parents, girls and for myself?
8-7-1 is too little but 9-8-1 is a little much for the parents.
Any suggestions?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries