Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Going rate for evening babysitter
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 8:50 pm
as I said, get one signup fee and then jsut give out a list. why should you be busy handling the phone calls at all hours of the day? let the parents make the calls and copy the lists themselves. charge $10 for every person who signs up, and $5.00 for a list. this way you make much more money and are a lot less busy. Update the list every time there's a new girl who joins.

workingmom3

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 8:55 pm
$10 is very fair price to pay for someone to find you a babysitter. I would sooner pay more per hour rthan find my own sitter and pay less- it can sometimes take hours to find an available sitter

YALT

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 9:06 pm
MrsLeo, do you service CH? I actually need a babysitter for tomorrow night for 2 hours.
I like that price.
Here I normally pay 8-12 for a highschool girl.
One WOMAN I know charges $25/hour. No joke! She said that she can do it for $18, but that comes with no frills. Meaning: she's in the house with the kids. But don't expect her to feed them, read to them, nothing! When I told her it's above my budget & so I'll have to push off my outing for another time, she started screaming that how dare we think of underpaying! She deserves a paycheck just like me! I told her I work more than 2 hours to be able to pay her for 1 hour.

MrsLeo

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 9:29 pm
YALT wrote:
MrsLeo, do you service CH? I actually need a babysitter for tomorrow night for 2 hours.
I like that price.
Here I normally pay 8-12 for a highschool girl.
One WOMAN I know charges $25/hour. No joke! She said that she can do it for $18, but that comes with no frills. Meaning: she's in the house with the kids. But don't expect her to feed them, read to them, nothing! When I told her it's above my budget & so I'll have to push off my outing for another time, she started screaming that how dare we think of underpaying! She deserves a paycheck just like me! I told her I work more than 2 hours to be able to pay her for 1 hour.

I actually do have one girl from CH but I didnt call her references or speak to her so I dont know how trustworthy she is. She goes to a school called Bnos Chomesh. Did you ever hear of it?

curlytop

Post Wed, Nov 04 2009, 12:47 am
Hmmm this is a very interesting concept, I would love to hear how this works out. There is definitely a need for such a service in every community.

Raisin

Post Wed, Nov 04 2009, 5:59 am
Mama Bear wrote:
as I said, get one signup fee and then jsut give out a list. why should you be busy handling the phone calls at all hours of the day? let the parents make the calls and copy the lists themselves. charge $10 for every person who signs up, and $5.00 for a list. this way you make much more money and are a lot less busy. Update the list every time there's a new girl who joins.

I think mrs leos idea is better. Especially as she will have some idea of who is booked up and who is not. I don't think $10 is unreasonable, especially as the type of person who will use such a service is probably not looking to save a few dollars.

MrsLeo

Post Wed, Nov 04 2009, 9:07 am
Based on everything people are saying I think I will make it $10 for the parents, $8 for the girls and $2 for me. I guess I will see how it works out.

3Qts

Post Wed, Nov 04 2009, 9:29 am
WOw my babysitters must Hate me. I never paid more then $6. Truth is I always pay what they ask for so no one asked me for more! But then again..They always made sure to tell me the kids have to be sleeping or at least in bed. $6 for a girl who can go to sleep (Like they did sometimes) study or yap on the phone (with access to a full nosh closet) is not underpaid. I didnt take a babysitter in about 2 years so maybe prices have changed.

Now if I can get more daughter $10 an hour jobs then I can quit my job!! (Many ladies work here for $9-$12 an hour)

3Qts

Post Wed, Nov 04 2009, 9:30 am
Mrs Leo I realy think $2 is alot for commission.
But how does it work..Lets say you send me a girl and I really like her. I give you $2 her $8. The next time I need a babysitter do I need to call you or just open up the telephone book and call her directly? (Not so much to save the money but the hassle of calling a third party)

MrsLeo

Post Wed, Nov 04 2009, 9:45 am
3Qts wrote:
Mrs Leo I realy think $2 is alot for commission.
But how does it work..Lets say you send me a girl and I really like her. I give you $2 her $8. The next time I need a babysitter do I need to call you or just open up the telephone book and call her directly? (Not so much to save the money but the hassle of calling a third party)

Everyone is free to call whoever they want but the idea is that it's hard to find a babysitter that is available. Instead of calling 20 girls to find one that is available you just call me and I do all the calling and set everything up. I'm not actually gonna call them, my plan is to have them "sign in" when they are available and that way I have a list of girls that available. Also, most girls have text messaging so its even easier to communicate that way. Like a car service dispatcher. I send a mass text to all the babysitters and whoever answers gets the job.
I'm still working on building up my list so please tell your daughters/sisters/friends/neighbors to sign up by emailing their name, address, age, school and references to brooklynbabysitting@gmail.com

Raisin

Post Wed, Nov 04 2009, 9:52 am
how are you going to get the commission from them?

Also, maybe have a cap on comission - if a girl babysits for 6 hours, does she have to give you $12, or will you make it a littel less. After all its the same amount of work however long she works for.

Imhappy!

Post Wed, Nov 04 2009, 10:02 am
good idea. I hope it works out. my friend and I spoke a lot about starting s/t like this. hatzluch rabba

I pay $10 an hour for an adult (older russian woman) she also does ironing/mending/dishes if the kids are asleep.

I thought $5-$6 is the rate for high school girls.

why should I take girls for the same price as I would pay for a woman that also does light housework???

MrsLeo

Post Wed, Nov 04 2009, 10:05 am
Imhappy! wrote:
good idea. I hope it works out. my friend and I spoke a lot about starting s/t like this. hatzluch rabba

I pay $10 an hour for an adult (older russian woman) she also does ironing/mending/dishes if the kids are asleep.

I thought $5-$6 is the rate for high school girls.

why should I take girls for the same price as I would pay for a woman that also does light housework???

That is also what I thought. I pay an older russian woman $10 and she cleans an little and she actually plays with my kids, not like the girls that just sit on the couch and let the kids do whatever they want. (The last time I had a babysitter my kids were on a late schedule)

Imhappy!

Post Wed, Nov 04 2009, 10:10 am
so my question to everyone that posted above ... the rates you qouted are they boro park rates for high school girls?

gold21

Post Wed, Nov 04 2009, 10:27 am
I dont know about these prices being mentioned. the babysitters I use take 7 or 8 dollars. I leave the kids sleeping, and dont go for more than 2 hrs. they live right near me. I think 7 or 8 is fair for a situation like I am describing. however, if the babysitting job is more challenging, such as the kids need to be given supper and put to sleep, then I think 10 an hour is fair. it varies by the individual situation.

Cookies n Cream

Post Wed, Nov 04 2009, 12:24 pm
I pay $10 for a Russian woman

malkie

Post Wed, Nov 04 2009, 12:57 pm
When I was in high school (almost 10 yrs ago), I was paid $10-12/hour OOT. This did not include any cleaning, except helping the kids straighten up what they played with and cleaning up from supper if I served them supper.

Now that I have my own DS, I would not hire a girl younger than 11th grade, especially in here in Brooklyn where it's not so simple to be home alone like in a quiet suburb. I would expect to pay $10/hour for a high school student and I would not give less than $20, even if I was gone less than 2 hours.

Pickle Lady

Post Wed, Nov 04 2009, 1:09 pm
Would you know all these girls personally? I dont use babysitters unless a friend of mine has also used her. I also wont pay more than $10 for a mature girl like after high school. I dont use high school girls for babysitting. Then are often unreliable in my experience. When I babysat 15 years ago as a teenager in the city of chicago for very wealthy families I never made more than 5$ an hour. Then when I babysat in a new jersey suburb for religious families I never made more than $6. I honestly think that a high schooler shouldnt get paid more than $8.

wwmom

Post Wed, Nov 04 2009, 1:46 pm
wow, I'm shocked at these prices. When I was in high school 10+ years ago I made only $4 whether the kids were up or sleeping. Now I almost never have to pay babysitters since I have a sister that does it for free for me, but I think I should quit my job and start babysitting at night!

MrsLeo

Post Wed, Nov 04 2009, 2:08 pm
Pickle Lady wrote:
Would you know all these girls personally? I dont use babysitters unless a friend of mine has also used her. I also wont pay more than $10 for a mature girl like after high school. I dont use high school girls for babysitting. Then are often unreliable in my experience. When I babysat 15 years ago as a teenager in the city of chicago for very wealthy families I never made more than 5$ an hour. Then when I babysat in a new jersey suburb for religious families I never made more than $6. I honestly think that a high schooler shouldnt get paid more than $8.

Where do you find girls that are out of high school that babysit. Most girls that are out of high school consider themselves too mature to babysit.

I am calling every girl's reference and interviewing if possible unless someone I know personally recommends them.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries