Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
No cook no bake side dish

onlyme

Post Wed, Nov 04 2009, 2:09 pm
Dh unplugged the gas range last night (to fix something) and didn't reconnect it yet, so I can't cook or bake today. We're having meat loaf for supper (from the freezer and heated in the microwave, in case anyone's interested Wink ). What can I make as a side to that? Must be something that's quick to prepare, since I'm a bit short on time once I get home from work. TIA!

Fabulous

Post Wed, Nov 04 2009, 2:10 pm
salad. Any type: tomato, purple onion and avocodo with olive oil and salt or cold cut salad with mayo mustard garlic dressing.

mammele26

Post Wed, Nov 04 2009, 2:19 pm
If you have a (connected Wink ) microwave, you can season frozen broccoli (or any other frozen veg for that matter) and steam it in the micro.

onlyme

Post Wed, Nov 04 2009, 2:22 pm
Thanks, both of you! Please keep them coming!

ra_mom

Post Wed, Nov 04 2009, 2:26 pm
Couscous: boil water in microwave, pour into dish with couscous, cover for 8 minutes, fluff with fork, season with olive oil, salt and parsley flakes

Microwaved "Baked" Potatoes: serve cut open with a margarine smear (mix margarine (room temp) with crush garlic, salt and parsley.)

HindaRochel

Post Wed, Nov 04 2009, 2:28 pm
you could make tabouli; just heat water in the microwave and pour it over the bulger, let sit till soft. Squeeze out liquid, and let cool. Add mint, parsley, onions or scallions, cucumbers and tomatoes. Dress with oil and lemon juice.

How many for dinner?

You can also make pasta in the microwave; at least those near instant Chinese noodles.

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Nov 04 2009, 2:29 pm
Baked potatoes in the microwave - I like sweet or white ones.

Do you have frozen veggies? Just pop them in the microwave.

Do you have instant mashed potatoes? That's an easy side dish that can be made in the microwave.

You can also make any type of pasta in the microwave.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Nov 04 2009, 2:31 pm
HindaRochel and DefyGravity, how do you make pasta in the microwave?

onlyme

Post Wed, Nov 04 2009, 2:34 pm
Thanks, those are all great ideas!

HindaRochel, it's only for dh and me.

P.S. I forgot to mention that dh doesn't like pasta. But please do tell us how to prepare it in the microwave (if not for me, than at least for ra-mom and others).

Last edited by onlyme on Wed, Nov 04 2009, 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Nov 04 2009, 2:35 pm
Put water in a tupperware container, or any other microwave safe dish, microwave the water till it boils (around 2 minutes), then put the pasta in the water and boil for an additional 10 minutes or so. Check and see if it needs more time, and microwave more if needed.

Meema2Kids

Post Wed, Nov 04 2009, 2:36 pm
Another vote for baked potatoes in the microwave. Salsa for topping

HindaRochel

Post Wed, Nov 04 2009, 2:38 pm
oh yeah, if just the two of you baked potatoes are done fairly quickly. With salsa that is good!

Or you could serve corn from the microwave.

onlyme

Post Wed, Nov 04 2009, 2:40 pm
Ok, I think I'll go with baked potatoes and steamed frozen veggies in the microwave. Thanks for all your help!
(hehe I'm getting off easy... I think I'll tell dh not to connect the gas range for another week. Safety reasons, y'know...)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes