Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Second round of ear tubes need advice..

Blue jay

Post Wed, Nov 04 2009, 8:42 pm
My 3 year old has tubes in his ears since he was 18 months old. He had the surgery because of chronic ear infections. ONe tube now is still working the other one is stuck in his ear canal so he will have to get his tube surgically removed.

Since nursery school has started he has had 2 ear infections and the ent has suggested getting a second round of tubes. HE also wants to remove his adenoids and says that this is standard when going for a second round of tubes.

IS removing the adenoids necessary and typical? Does anyone have a similar experience? My ent says that the tubes will work better without the adenoids.

Thanks everyone!

the world's best mom

Post Wed, Nov 04 2009, 8:45 pm
I don't know- we're still on our first set of tubes for ds. But I hope everything works out well. Refuah Shelaima.

dalia1

Post Wed, Nov 04 2009, 9:27 pm
We have done three sets of tubes...first set due to chronic infections...that helped and he did well until age four and he had less infections but chronic fluid in his ears which was affecting his hearing. We did the second set, with adnoid removal (yes its very common). Recovery was no big deal...a bit of a sore throat the first day but nothing like tonsils being removed.
He is now 9 and had to have one tube put back in because he failed his school hearing test. He does have some minor hearing loss due to the damage of all the infections, along with chronic fluid...but that second set of tubes did virtually wipe out his ear infections.
Also, one thing to consider, is your child getting ear infections only in the winter when colds are common or in the summer too? My doc had me wait to see if he still got them in the summer months. He managed to get them all the time even without colds, so we knew it was bad.
Good luck with your decision, but just know that the chronic fluid and ear infections can lead to hearing loss, so sometimes its better just to go ahead and do it.

Blue jay

Post Wed, Nov 04 2009, 9:40 pm
dalia1 wrote:
We have done three sets of tubes...first set due to chronic infections...that helped and he did well until age four and he had less infections but chronic fluid in his ears which was affecting his hearing. We did the second set, with adnoid removal (yes its very common). Recovery was no big deal...a bit of a sore throat the first day but nothing like tonsils being removed.
He is now 9 and had to have one tube put back in because he failed his school hearing test. He does have some minor hearing loss due to the damage of all the infections, along with chronic fluid...but that second set of tubes did virtually wipe out his ear infections.
Also, one thing to consider, is your child getting ear infections only in the winter when colds are common or in the summer too? My doc had me wait to see if he still got them in the summer months. He managed to get them all the time even without colds, so we knew it was bad.
Good luck with your decision, but just know that the chronic fluid and ear infections can lead to hearing loss, so sometimes its better just to go ahead and do it.

Thanks for your advice.. THe left tube has not been working since the summer time though the right tube is still functioning. The left ear infections started when the weather began to change and school started, so you raise a good point,,, I will check in with my doctors with this question.

Health is a Virture

Post Thu, Nov 05 2009, 6:32 am
are the adenoids inflamed? (if he snores at night, then they probably are) my daughter had her adenoids pulled out the first time she got tubes and they worked great for a year, till they fell out. a year later, one is okay, but one still has some slight fluid.

my sister has found that with her children the tubes just didn't work until the adenoids were pulled.

Health is a Virture

Post Thu, Nov 05 2009, 6:34 am
not only can chronic ear infections lead to hearing loss, but chronic fluid in the ear until the age 5 can cause a child to have auditory processing disorder (very very common among those whose ears chronically have fluid) an audiologist told me this.

Blue jay

Post Thu, Nov 05 2009, 8:03 pm
Health is a Virture wrote:
are the adenoids inflamed? (if he snores at night, then they probably are) my daughter had her adenoids pulled out the first time she got tubes and they worked great for a year, till they fell out. a year later, one is okay, but one still has some slight fluid.

my sister has found that with her children the tubes just didn't work until the adenoids were pulled.

Im not sure the adenoids are inflamed though I will be seeing the ent soon and will ask him. My son does snore sometimes and has nasal congestion for 2 weeks already since his cold started/ ( I miss the summer Sad )
Thank you for your help!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics