Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
PUMPKIN IDEAS

Chava Golar

Post Fri, Nov 06 2009, 11:09 am
Wasn't sure where to post this. Work is giving out free tiny pumpkins (about the size of an orange-grapefruit.) I can take a bunch (6ish) Does anyone know if these are cookable and if so any good recipes?

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Nov 06 2009, 11:18 am
The tiny pumpkins are the tastiest (though I don't know how tiny you're talking). There's a great pumpkin yellow split pea soup recipe I got from epicurious. You should be able to find it easily by googling (first ingredient is saffron, which I omit, but the rest are quite accessible).

louche

Post Fri, Nov 06 2009, 11:22 am
Easiest, simplest prep is to cleave it in half, scoop out seeds and fibrous pulp, sprinkle with cinnamon and/or nutmeg and/or sugar after brushing with a bit of oil, and nuke or bake till soft. Serve hot.

Save the seeds, clean off the stringy stuff, wash them, then toast in a slow oven. add salt and/or garlic powder and/or chili-type spices, then eat as an all-natural snack. Yum!

Chava Golar

Post Fri, Nov 06 2009, 11:40 am
Thanks

chavamom

Post Fri, Nov 06 2009, 11:44 am
Pumpkin pancakes!

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Nov 06 2009, 12:31 pm
sure, it's a squash. use like butternut squash.

reed

Post Thu, Nov 19 2009, 9:04 pm
My kids brought home lots of pumpkins from the farmers market last year around this time. We baked them, pureed them, and froze the extras in 2 cup portion containters. I had them for almost a year. Just defrosted and used in all sorts of recipes as needed. We made pumpkin pies, cakes and muffins. I think we'll be doing the same one of these days with our new batch of pumpkins!.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Nov 19 2009, 9:08 pm
3 yr old dd would love this thread Smile she keeps asking me to buy a pumpkin, and I keep telling her that have to find a recipe first!

ectomorph

Post Tue, Oct 29 2013, 11:02 am
I have about 6 cups of pureed pumpkin in a tupperware the freezer. How long will it keep and what can I use it for? I used the rest of the pumpkin in making 3 pumpkin pies yesterday.

greenfire

Post Tue, Oct 29 2013, 11:10 am
pumpkin pie from scratch ... just keep in mind it takes a long time for pumpkin to cook & boil out to the right consistency

ectomorph

Post Tue, Oct 29 2013, 11:16 am
Thanks greenfire. I mean besides pumpkin pies since we have 3 of them I made yesterday and we really can't eat any more of them. :-)

We don't like pumpkin soup, bread or pancakes. Is there a kugel? I suppose I can wait a couple of months until we want more pumpkin pies.

oliveoil

Post Tue, Oct 29 2013, 11:50 am
My friend made this and I tasted it - it's delicious - http://www.chabad.org/blogs/bl.....m.htm

greenfire

Post Tue, Oct 29 2013, 11:50 am
pumpkin cake ... http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....+cake
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus