Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Can someone with a Bosch mixer help me?

rosehill

Post Thu, May 04 2006, 7:28 pm
I finally got the Bosch mixer (generous mil gave it to me for my anniversary). I made Challah today, and had some problems. If you have this machine, please help me.
1. When kneading the dough, the machine and the bowl shook. Is it supposed to do this, or did I attach the bowl incorrectly?
2. I used the stainless steel bowl, and had some spillage where the bowl meets the lid. Is this OK?
3. How many minutes to you knead? On which power setting?

Thank you for your help. I'm especially concerned about the shaking, and want to know if I should be sending the machine back.

queen

Post Thu, May 04 2006, 8:40 pm
rosehill wrote:
1. When kneading the dough, the machine and the bowl shook. Is it supposed to do this, or did I attach the bowl incorrectly?
2. I used the stainless steel bowl, and had some spillage where the bowl meets the lid. Is this OK?

mine shakes too.

some flour s/t fly's out too (so I usually wrap the sides/all around that crack/opening w/ silver foil. (to stop flour from making my counters messier)

I knead as long as recipe tells me. don't bake often enough to know by heart (sorry)

sorry respond'g so short- feeding baby/only have one hand to type

(PM me if u have more Q's.)

luv2bamom

Post Sun, May 07 2006, 12:51 am
yup my bosch shakes too, and I bake challah in it e/ week. I think when my cover is on properly n/t leaks out, make sure it slides into its place properly. I let it knead for a while, adding the flour slowly, I find that the longer you knead, the better the flour mixes in so the less flour you need. I let it mix on number 1 usually and the top I just leave on stand by ( it think)

mali

Post Sun, May 07 2006, 9:45 am
rosehill wrote:
I finally got the Bosch mixer (generous mil gave it to me for my anniversary). I made Challah today, and had some problems. If you have this machine, please help me.

1. yes, the Bosch likes to "dance" around. mine landed in the sink once shock . make sure the counter is clean before you start, especially from flour - that's the mixer's worst enemy.
2. when you first start mixing the dough, keep your hand on the knob and turn it on and off until the ingredients are somewhat incorporated, in order to minimize the spillage.
3. first I knead on the lowest setting until it looks like dough - I think it's even less than a minute. then I let it sit for 10 minutes, so that the flour should get well incorporated. then I turn it on the highest setting for seven minutes straight.

SK

Post Sun, May 07 2006, 7:14 pm
Try adding half the amount of flour to the yeast, water and sugar and mix just until its all mixed together (under a minute is fine).

Then add the eggs/oil and lastly add the rest of the flour.

The dough should be a little easier to knead then and hopefully the mixer wont shake. Also try starting on the first setting and once its mixed together turn it to 2 for better kneading. (although I do the whole thing on 1).

I find with the flour on the top, the liquid does not really even get to the lid until its already a dough.

I have a bosch and since I started making my dough this way I have had no problems with shaking or spillage.
Good luck
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen