Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
1 year old wont drink milk of any kind

jeliela

Post Tue, Nov 10 2009, 11:34 am
I weaned my daughter from nursing a month ago since I found out I was pregnant. She is okay with drinking from a bottle since I always gave her water and diluted juices. Problem is she wont drink milk, so I thought maybe she just doesnt like the taste so I gave her fortified rice milk and she wont drink that either. I'm worried that she isn't getting the protein and nutrients needed that is found in milk. She is just 16 months, Any suggestions?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Nov 10 2009, 11:37 am
Does she get calcium from other sources like cheese, broccoli, salmon, etc? Milk is NOT necessary for calcium though it's easy, and protein is gotten mainly from other things, not milk.

jeliela

Post Tue, Nov 10 2009, 11:46 am
She eats some cheese but not on a daily basis, broccoli hasnt been on our table for a while since 1 time I bought from a reliable frozen brand and found a bug. Salmon we eat sometimes on Shabbos. Maybe I should think about buying the frozen broccoli stems, are they also a good source or is it only the florets that are packed with the vits/minerals?

muffinsmommy

Post Tue, Nov 10 2009, 11:57 am
Hey,

I had the same problem as you except my daughter is 19 months and I was trying to switch her from formula to milk. What I did is first day mixed a lot of chocolate powder in with the milk and each day for like a week would lessen the amount of choc powder til there was none and now she drinks straight milk. Hatzlacha!

jeliela

Post Tue, Nov 10 2009, 12:00 pm
I tried once with the choco powder and she didn't drink it, maybe I should try again? how many tries did it take you?

muffinsmommy

Post Tue, Nov 10 2009, 12:04 pm
It definitely took a few tries and I had to hype her all up about that she's getting CHOCOLATE milk! and I had to put a lot of choco in the first couple of bottles. What if you tried adding fruit juice (concentrate) to the milk? Would that work at all?

jeliela

Post Tue, Nov 10 2009, 12:21 pm
Hmm fruit juice concentrate, I'll try that next.

Health is a Virture

Post Thu, Nov 19 2009, 3:36 am
chumus, techina, almond butter, cottage cheese, yogurt (give her vegetables, crackers, or fruit to dip into them) are some more toddler friendly hi-calcium/protein foods.

Happy Mom

Post Sun, Nov 22 2009, 7:26 pm
For kids who don't drink milk, there are other healthy options, as mentioned.

I always think it's kind of ironic that to get our kids to eat something for their health, we add things to make it unhealthy! Seems kind of counterproductive, don't you think?

shanie5

Post Sun, Nov 22 2009, 7:32 pm
One of my dd's wouldnt drink milk. but she ate cheese, yogurt and other dairy products-so Dr. said that was fine. She is 21 now and still wont drink milk. (except maybe w/ chocolate in it)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics