Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Kasha for Shabbos Shira
1  2  3  Next

Sunshine

Post Wed, Jan 19 2005, 6:38 pm
So this week is Shabbos Shira and we eat kasha. I want to see how many different recipes and ideas we can all come up with together of different things you can make with kasha. I am tired of the "usuals."

proudmom

Post Wed, Jan 19 2005, 6:45 pm
why do we eat kasha on shabbos shira? Is it a minhag or halacha?

Motek

Post Wed, Jan 19 2005, 7:02 pm
minhag

fry a medium onion, add two cups of water and bring to a boil

add a cup of medium kasha that has been mixed into one beaten egg

1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper

simmer for 15-20 minutes, scraping bottom of pot

this might be "ordinary" but it sure is good!

I made it last night and now that I'm reading this thread I'm thinking - hmmm, better not finish it off tonight bec. I don't want to make it again for Shabbos!

I wouldn't want to serve a weekday side dish on Shabbos, but for the sake of the minhag, I think I will save the rest.

I've also eaten kasha room temperature with scallions and tomato cut in, very tasty and pretty too

gryp

Post Wed, Jan 19 2005, 7:09 pm
thanx Motek! every year I think that I know im supposed to eat kasha but how on earth should I prepare it... now I know... Very Happy

Sunshine

Post Wed, Jan 19 2005, 7:34 pm
I also make it like that but I first cook the kasha, egg and spices on a high heat stiring constantly until the egg doesn't clump the kasha togetherand is absorbed(1-2 min.) and then I add the hot water reducing the temp to low and cook till water is absorbed(3-5min.). I will fry the onion if I am in a not healthy mood otherwise I eat it the non fat way! I am wondering what does the egg do and what will it taste like if you make it without the egg?

Motek

Post Wed, Jan 19 2005, 7:36 pm
what does it taste like without the onion? Confused

thanks for the kasha minhag reminder!

zuncompany

Post Wed, Jan 19 2005, 7:42 pm
thanks for teaching me something!

Now I have my side dish!

Sara

Sunshine

Post Wed, Jan 19 2005, 8:15 pm
It tastes fine and you can put onion and garlic powder in for flavor. If you are in a rush, don't want to fry an onion, but don't mind exta fat you can put the gravy from the chicken on it.

Rochel Leah

Post Wed, Jan 19 2005, 9:53 pm
Sunshine, I dont think the egg is for taste. I am reading the instructions on the box and it says:

Although Kasha can be cooked like rice, the recommended recipe caals for stirring one egg or egg white into kasha grains before hot liquid is added. This seperates each grain and brings out the nutty flavour of the buckwheat.

Thinking about kasha reminds me of something my teacher once told us:

There is a saying in gemora (I think):

When it comes to a taiva( desire) you can't ask a kasha( question)

and as a play on words: when it comes to KAsha (buckwheat) there is no taivah( desire)

I am not saying that kasha isnt good but without any spices it isnt that desirable Wink

Motek

Post Wed, Jan 19 2005, 10:13 pm
the fried onion ... that's what it needs! Smile

cute vort reversal!

Sunshine

Post Wed, Jan 19 2005, 10:30 pm
No one has any other ideas?!

Kasha
Kasha with onions
Kasha with lukshin
Kasha kinishes

Come on ladies!!! Who has any other recipes/ideas?

Motek

Post Wed, Jan 19 2005, 10:37 pm
well, now that you reminded me

you can cook up little bowtie pasta, I found 4-5 ounces (half a bag) just right for 1 cup of kasha, and mix into the kasha, remember to add more salt

p.s. I wrote 1 1/2 tsp. salt earlier, it could really be 2 to 2 1/2 - taste it and see for yourself

sarahd

Post Thu, Jan 20 2005, 5:33 am
If you don't want to use a fried onion, you can pour ketchup or tomato sauce over it and it's pretty edible. I fry my kasha-egg mixture in olive oil. Then I pour in boiling water with chicken soup mix, salt and pepper.

For a change, why not try making kasha varnishkes? Prepare the kasha the usual way and toss it with bow-tie noodles and parsley or cilantro if desired.

I assume that kasha on Shabbos Shira is a Chabad minhag? It's not likely to be a minhag of Jews from anywhere west of Russia, where kasha was not an item.

proudmom

Post Thu, Jan 20 2005, 7:39 am
why do we eat kasha on shabbos shira?

cy

Post Thu, Jan 20 2005, 10:20 am
is this a lubavitch minhag, I never heard of it?

Motek

Post Thu, Jan 20 2005, 10:46 am
Quote:
On Shabbos Shirah, 5702, the Previous Rebbe (Rabbi Y.Y. Schneersohn, 6th Rebbe) related that the Maharal of Prague (Rabbi Yehuda Lowe) established a custom -- hopefully the custom will be reinstituted -- that during the week before Shabbos Beshallach he would inform all the teachers and parents of small children to bring their children to the courtyard of the synagogue on Shabbos Shira. There they were told the story of the splitting of the sea and how the birds sang and chirped at the time that Moshe and the Jewish people burst out into the song of "Az Yashir." The children picked fruits from the trees that had sprouted in the sea-bed and fed the singing birds.

The Maharal then distributed "kashe" (buckwheat) to the children with which to feed the birds and fowl as a remembrance of the fruits of the sea which the children gave to the birds.

After this the Maharal blessed the children and their parents with the traditional blessing: to raise them and educate them, that the children should grow up to Torah, Chuppah and good deeds.

Motek

Post Thu, Jan 20 2005, 10:47 am
from a non-Chabad source:

Quote:
Despite the miracles of the Exodus from Egypt, the crossing of the Sea and the Manna, there were people who still didn't have faith in the leadership of Moshe Rabbenu. The Midrash explains how Dosson and Aviram, wanting to malign Moshe, went with their Manna early on Shabbos morning and spread it around the camp. They planned to show everybody that Moshe Rabbenu was lying when he told them that there would be no Manna to gather on Shabbos.

But before anybody woke up, birds came and effected a great Kiddush Hashem by eating up all the Manna that was spread out on the ground. In appreciation of their deed, there is a custom to make some black Kasha (buckwheat groats) or leave some of the Shabbos Cholent for the birds so that they can enjoy a taste of the Shabbos which they helped to sanctify. We put it out for them after Havdalah and they always lick the bowl clean!

sarahd

Post Thu, Jan 20 2005, 11:01 am
We learned in school to put out breadcrumbs for the birds; however, I cannot remember one single time in my whole life that we ever remembered to do this...until after candlelighting, when it was too late. Sad

But in any event, it seems that the minhag is to put out kasha for the birds, not cook it and eat it yourself!?! Confused

rydys

Post Thu, Jan 20 2005, 9:40 pm
My husband said the reason he was given for the minhag (from a chabad rabbi) is bec. of the Chazal "kashe zivugo shel odom kikriyas yam suf". Since this week we read about krias yam suf, there is a minhag (in Chabad) to eat kashe.

IM-MA

Post Fri, Jan 21 2005, 12:21 am
You can use kasha instead of rice when baking chicken, use it to stuff turkey, or put some into cholent.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note