Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Kasha for Shabbos Shira
Previous  1  2  3  Next

gryp

Post Fri, Jan 21 2005, 7:25 am
Quote:
"kashe zivugo shel odom kikriyas yam suf". Since this week we read about krias yam suf, there is a minhag (in Chabad) to eat kashe.

now that is very funny.

Motek

Post Fri, Jan 21 2005, 11:55 am
sarahd wrote:
I cannot remember one single time in my whole life that we ever remembered to do this...until after candlelighting, when it was too late.

but in the story with the Maharal, he gave it to the children to give to the birds on Shabbos - so can you or can't you feed birds on Shabbos?

Tefila

Post Sat, Jan 22 2005, 5:35 pm
Quote:
or put some into cholent
Was lazy so I did that and everyone...... except for me loved it Smile

Tefila

Post Thu, Feb 09 2006, 4:41 pm
That time of the year again, so what r u going to do? Very Happy

chen

Post Thu, Feb 09 2006, 7:22 pm
Motek wrote:
well, now that you reminded me

you can cook up little bowtie pasta, I found 4-5 ounces (half a bag) just right for 1 cup of kasha, and mix into the kasha, remember to add more salt

p.s. I wrote 1 1/2 tsp. salt earlier, it could really be 2 to 2 1/2 - taste it and see for yourself

this is called kasha varnichkes, don't ask me why. did they have bowtie-shaped noodles in Eastern europe?

chen

Post Thu, Feb 09 2006, 7:27 pm
Motek wrote:
sarahd wrote:
I cannot remember one single time in my whole life that we ever remembered to do this...until after candlelighting, when it was too late.

but in the story with the Maharal, he gave it to the children to give to the birds on Shabbos - so can you or can't you feed birds on Shabbos?

you put it out on friday. in our community, the preschoolers put out slices of bread spread with peanut butter and sprinkled with sunflower seeds or birdseed.

I'm no authority, but I can see a number of potential halachik problems with feeding birds on shabbos, esp. grain or seeds.

stem

Post Thu, Feb 09 2006, 7:38 pm
We put out some old bread on the front lawn on friday afternoon.

TzenaRena

Post Fri, Feb 10 2006, 12:14 am
This Shabbos is parshas Beshalach. Shabbos Shira! Remember to put out kashe for the 'feigelach.' (birds) AFAIK it's supposed to be done BEFORE Shabbos.

So what do you put out for the birds? I've tried 'kashe', cereal crumbs. some years we see them enjoy the feast, some not.I've often wondered whether 'kashe' means kashe, or just plain cereal.

Does anyone hang outside those cut-off milk-cartons turned birdfeeder A&C projects that the kids bring home from kindergarten?

chen

Post Fri, Feb 10 2006, 5:56 am
I believe kasha in russian is a generic term for any cereal or grain, but in the US it is used specifically for buckwheat groats.

our kids didn't make bird feeders, they just tied strings onto slices of bread and peanut butter so they could be hung outside the window. that didn't work to well, so we just laid the bread on the outside windowsill.

BlumaG

Post Fri, Feb 10 2006, 10:21 am
thanx so much for the reminder, my kids arnt I skool yet so we dont get these updates Smile

chen

Post Fri, Feb 10 2006, 10:29 am
I've been reminding myself for days, which means I'll forget. I think I even wrote it on the calendar, but who looks at the calendar? LOL

mother48

Post Fri, Feb 10 2006, 10:31 am
my son brought home a bowl with a bag of kashe. we put it outside. it blew away. time to strat over! end of story.

ps, he keeps telling me he doesn't want the feigellach to come eat..go figure.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sat, Feb 11 2006, 6:32 pm
never heard of this minhag either. and what's interesting is that the sources listed above said to give it to the birds - nothing about eating it yourself.
anyhow, my husband likes kasha. I boil it in water and add margarine and salt. sometimes I eat it with mustard.
there's also a good recipe either in the spice and spirit or heimishe cookbook that has a good TUNA AND KASHA SALAD recipe!!

chen

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 7:47 pm
so we put out the bread, and the snow covered it....if anyone eats it it won't be the birds, it'll be the rodents Exploding anger

Motek

Post Sun, Jan 28 2007, 7:05 pm
Three reasons have been posted for kasha on Shabbos Shira but two out of the three are to give kasha to the birds and the third is more of a joke.

So what is the reason for PEOPLE to eat kasha?

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Jan 28 2007, 9:10 pm
Quote:
Motek, if you read the story carefully, it says that the Maharal would call the teachers and parents during the week before Parshas Beshalach. So maybe he would distribute the kasha then?

Or else, the fact that it was in the courtyard of the shul, precluded a problem of "hotzaah" on shabbos, which is maybe the main possibility that is prevented by putting it out Erev Shabbos.

Whereas, going outside to put out kasha normally could very well be in a place without an eruv, chillul Shabbos of carrying.

farmom

Post Thu, Feb 01 2007, 8:31 pm
Quote:
In sefer haminhagim it say to eat kasha on this shabbos. In 5749 the Rebbe said that the Maharal would bring the children together, teach them the minhag of feeding the birds and then they would feed the birds and chickens. Today the Rebbe says we don't see that ppl do this because we don't own birds to feed on Shabbos(birds in the wild are not allowed to be fed on Shabbos) THe Rebbe says to tell the story of the Maharal to the children because it imbues them with the trait of having rachmanus for animals.

The above is from another forum I am on. Enjoy your kasha, shivas haminim, and Shabbos Shira! Smile

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sat, Feb 03 2007, 7:24 pm
when I was a kid, we learned to give breadcrumbs to the birds.
I think the reason why some of you learned kasha is because that's what they had in those days. If you check a source above, it says to give kasha or some choletn for a taste of shabbos!
I forgot that last year I read about this kasha minhag (are we birds, too??) but I just happened to serve a yummy kasha KUGEL today!

TzenaRena

Post Sat, Feb 03 2007, 8:07 pm
Bracha V'Hatzlacha, if you don't mind, I'd love the recipe for that kasha kugel Smile Maybe next year when I look at this thread I'll remind myself to make it! Or if it's delicious enough, maybe we won't wait till then. Wink

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sat, Feb 03 2007, 8:17 pm
sure thing!
from the best of the heimishe I & II

SWEET KASHA KUGEL
1 cup of Orange Juice or grape juice
1 cup water
1 T. margarine/oil
1/2 cup kasha
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup raisins or grated apple (I used raisins)

In a pot, put OJ, water and margarine to boil. Stir in kasha and cook for 20 minutes over a low heat. Add remaining ingredients. Bake in small casserole dish at 350 for 40 minutes until set.

I think I doubled the recipe and froze half, because this shabbos I took it out of the freezer, though I made it several weeks ago. I made it in 8-inch round pans.

Smile let me know if you made it, how you like it! Smile
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note