Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
Veggie Chili Beans and Rice--great recipe!

sunny90

Post Mon, Nov 16 2009, 10:07 am
This meal-in-a-pot is delicious! Its healthy and full of protein. The preparations take a little time, but you can chop up the veggies any time during the day and just leave them until you want to use them. The rest is basically opening cans!

Taken from Pinch My Salt. In her words: "For the beans, use any combination you like. The kidneys and garbanzos were great but if I would have had some black beans on hand, I would have used them too. Same thing with the veggies, I used what I happened to have on hand but feel free to add some others. This is a dish that begs to be experimented with! The only thing to keep in mind is if that you need to increase the liquid if you increase the rice. Other than that, have fun!"

I personally prefer to use baked beans instead of the kidney beans, but thats just a matter of taste. Also, I'd advise rinsing the beans you use to avoid their inevitable--um--aftereffects.

Veggie Chili Beans and Rice

Olive Oil
1 onion, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 jalapeno, chopped

2-3 cloves of garlic, chopped

1 C. brown rice

1 T. cumin
1 T. chili powder
Fresh ground pepper (a few grinds, depends on your taste)

1 can chick peas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed + 1 can corn kernels
1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed (or black beans or baked beans)
1 can diced tomatoes
2 C. water
1 t. salt

Get everything organized: Chop all the veggies and throw them in a bowl. Chop garlic and set aside in small bowl of its own. Measure the rice, leave it in the cup. Measure the spices and put together in a small bowl. Throw the beans, tomatoes and water in another bowl with the salt.

Put all your “preparations” near the stove and you’re ready to begin!

Heat 2-3 T. olive oil in a heavy dutch oven over medium heat. Add the veggies (not the garlic) and cook, stirring occasionally until softened and just starting to brown (5-10 minutes). Add the garlic and stir for about 30 seconds then add the brown rice and seasonings and stir constantly for a minute or two. Next, add the beans, tomatoes and water and stir everything together. Bring mixture to a boil and then turn heat to lowest setting, cover and let simmer for about 40 minutes to an hour. Uncover, stir, and enjoy! Make sure not to cook for too close to an hour if you want it saucy! 40 minutes should be enough, but check it to make sure.
This is good with grated sharp cheddar on top.

elmos

Post Tue, Nov 17 2009, 11:19 am
I do not know how the recipe above from sunny90 comes out it looks good this is one I made a few times since a friend gave e in the summer and it freezes well I thought of ittoday when I saw this.
Easy Vegetarian Chili
1 tbsp olive or canola oil
2 onions, chopped
2 green and/or red peppers, chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed
2 cups sliced mushrooms
2 cups cooked or canned red kidney beans
2 cups cooked or canned chickpeas
½ cup bulgur or couscous, rinsed (or 1 cup quinoa, rinsed)
28 oz can tomatoes (or 6 fresh tomatoes, chopped)
1 cup bottled salsa (mild or medium)
½ cup water
1 tsp salt
1tbsp chili powder
1 tsp dried basil
½ EACH pepper, oregano, cumin
¼ tsp cayenne
1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp sugar
1 cup corn niblets, optional
Conventional method: Heat oil in large pot. Saute onions, peppers, and garlic for 5 minutes on medium heat. Add mushrooms and sauté 4 or 5 minutes more. Add remaining ingredients except corn. Bring to boil and simmer, covered, for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in corn
Microwave method: Combine oil, onions, peppers, and garlic in 3 quart microsafe pot. Microwave covered on high for 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and microwave 2 minutes longer. Add remaining ingredients except corn. Cover and microwave on high for 18-20 minutes, stirring once or twice. Add corn. Let stand covered for 10 minutes.
You can definitly alter it I left out the corn due to picky eaters but this was very filling and I made for someone wen I sent out meals even their picky kids ate it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals