Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Chanuka Flashmob in Jerusalem
1  2  Next

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, Nov 24 2009, 1:35 am

ClaRivka

Post Tue, Nov 24 2009, 2:42 am
ok......interesting.
All I could thtink abt while watching was that that was that was the 2nd real black man (not ethiopan) that ive seen in Israel and also that those girls need something better to hold them down if theyre going to jump and wiggle like that.

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, Nov 24 2009, 2:48 am
Yeah, I was also a bit put off by at least one woman who was front and center and needed to be better dressed and better supported to be jumping and waving her arms above her head...

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, Nov 24 2009, 2:53 am
BTW, you'll notice the Tzitzit on the 'real black man'...

ClaRivka

Post Tue, Nov 24 2009, 2:56 am
YESHASettler wrote:
BTW, you'll notice the Tzitzit on the 'real black man'...

No I kno, hes obviously jewish but in sem I remember only seeing one jewish black man who was like really BLACK (american) and we never saw anyone else like that so its always a surprise and a pleasure.

Also I dont kno what it is about these things but I usually think theyre so cute like the one in the train staion with the do re mi song but in EY I dont find it so cutesy with a song abt chanuka in the middle of yerushalayim.

drumjj

Post Tue, Nov 24 2009, 3:10 am
I thought the idea was really cute.

LeahW

Post Tue, Nov 24 2009, 3:21 am
ClaRivka wrote:

Also I dont kno what it is about these things but I usually think theyre so cute like the one in the train staion with the do re mi song but in EY I dont find it so cutesy with a song abt chanuka in the middle of yerushalayim.

I also did not find this cute. For some reason I thought nefesh b'nefesh was run by frum people.

drumjj

Post Tue, Nov 24 2009, 3:26 am
there r thousands of non religious ppl who make aliya with nefesh bnefesh. does making aliya only apply to frum ppl. u ppl r so anti and have to criticize everything cant you take something at face value and move on

LeahW

Post Tue, Nov 24 2009, 3:40 am
drumjj wrote:
there r thousands of non religious ppl who make aliya with nefesh bnefesh. does making aliya only apply to frum ppl. u ppl r so anti and have to criticize everything cant you take something at face value and move on

"U ppl"? I thought we were of the same people.

If an organization is frum (and like I said, I wasn't sure about nefesh bnefesh), it should represent itself accordingly. That's my opinion. It's like when you have people involved in kiruv who lower themselves to secular standards to relate to others... there is a line, and no one will respect them for crossing it. Of course nefesh bnefesh is not a kiruv organization, but again, it's my opinion that people should conduct themselves accordingly when they represent a life of Torah. This is not a tasteful video, in my opinion. (isn't this website here for expressing opinions?)

LeahW

Post Tue, Nov 24 2009, 3:42 am
drumjj wrote:
does making aliya only apply to frum ppl.

No. Are non-frum people able to appreciate something equally impressive done with some taste? I believe so.

ClaRivka

Post Tue, Nov 24 2009, 3:54 am
LeahW wrote:
drumjj wrote:

"U ppl"? I thought we were of the same people.

If an organization is frum (and like I said, I wasn't sure about nefesh bnefesh), it should represent itself accordingly. That's my opinion. It's like when you have people involved in kiruv who lower themselves to secular standards to relate to others... there is a line, and no one will respect them for crossing it. Of course nefesh bnefesh is not a kiruv organization, but again, it's my opinion that people should conduct themselves accordingly when they represent a life of Torah. This is not a tasteful video, in my opinion. (isn't this website here for expressing opinions?)

Thumbs Up

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, Nov 24 2009, 4:06 am
What exactly is a 'frum organization'?

grin

Post Tue, Nov 24 2009, 5:43 am
NBN is funded by the Israel Agency (aka the Sochnut) - so they even have to offer their benefits to non-religious so-called converts. (Not saying that the black man pictured is one of them, just something I found out.)

smilingmom

Post Tue, Nov 24 2009, 8:05 am
I loved the video, It reminds me of improv, which I belong to http://improveverywhere.com/

Improv Everywhere

As to Aliya. I think any connection any Jew has to Israel or Judaism is fantastic. Why would we want to diminish their connection??

As to NBN, it is a great organization, that gets people to Israel, (though some of it's funding comes from questionable sources), the good it does is uncontroverted.

drumjj

Post Tue, Nov 24 2009, 8:09 am
smilingmom wrote:
I loved the video, It reminds me of improv, which I belong to http://improveverywhere.com/

Improv Everywhere

As to Aliya. I think any connection any Jew has to Israel or Judaism is fantastic. Why would we want to diminish their connection??

As to NBN, it is a great organization, that gets people to Israel, (though some of it's funding comes from questionable sources), the good it does is uncontroverted.

thank u.
I love this site but I find that ppl are always finding this to criticize all the time.

LeahW

Post Tue, Nov 24 2009, 8:49 am
drumjj wrote:
smilingmom wrote:

Improv Everywhere

thank u.
I love this site but I find that ppl are always finding this to criticize all the time.

Let's not read so deeply into things here. I also think any connection a Jew has to Judaism is wonderful considering how removed so many yidden are today. Who tried to "diminish" any connection? How you got that from this thread, I just don't know.

LeahW

Post Tue, Nov 24 2009, 9:01 am
I have to say (since I've already been accused of being critical), these improv things are entertaining after watching one or two, but the people involved in them are freaky.

Peanut2

Post Tue, Nov 24 2009, 10:16 am
Nefesh bnefesh is not a frum organization.

It is non denominational and while the people who run it are frum, not all NBN events are frum events.
As a non-Orthodox organization they cater to everyone, including secular, Reform, and Conservative Jews, and Orthodox Jews who feel it's fine to dance and bounce in the middle of the street.

There is a big difference than an organization that has many frum people in leadership positions and organizations that are "frum" as part of a mission statement.

Now I want to see a Jewish flash mob here in London! (Good luck to me on that.)

drumjj

Post Tue, Nov 24 2009, 11:08 am
[quote="LeahW"]
drumjj wrote:
smilingmom wrote:

Improv Everywhere

thank u.

Let's not read so deeply into things here. I also think any connection a Jew has to Judaism is wonderful considering how removed so many yidden are today. Who tried to "diminish" any connection? How you got that from this thread, I just don't know.[/quote all I meant by criticising was that its a thing u might not agree with but there is no reason to nit pick at every detail and find fault in it. Why cant it just b taken as it is.

smilingmom

Post Tue, Nov 24 2009, 8:17 pm
LeahW wrote:

Let's not read so deeply into things here. I also think any connection a Jew has to Judaism is wonderful considering how removed so many yidden are today. Who tried to "diminish" any connection? How you got that from this thread, I just don't know.

Leah, This is what I mean by "diminishing" people is the gratuitous criticism that is totally irrelevant to the subject matter.
For example:
Quote:

those girls need something better to hold them down if theyre going to jump and wiggle like that.

Quote:

Yeah, I was also a bit put off by at least one woman who was front and center and needed to be better dressed and better supported to be jumping and waving her arms above her head.

Quote:

For some reason I thought nefesh b'nefesh was run by frum people.

I have not lived in Israel for 44 years, but as far as I know frummies always were and still are a minority in Israel. Why would anyone be shocked that Sabra's or new Olim would be dressed in an untznius fashion or would wiggle and jiggle?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics