Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
ARGH!!!! MUMPS HAVE TAKEN OVER OUR TOWN!!!
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Mini Cookie

Post Sun, Dec 20 2009, 12:10 pm
terrible! I know who the kid was that started it!

Plonis

Post Sun, Dec 20 2009, 6:16 pm
Theres also an opinion that the immunity wears off.

I'd personally check if my kids are immune (antibody test) and if not give them the vaccine or immunoglobulin. Mumps is not dangerous for girls or younger kids but can cause sterility in teen boys.

chavamom

Post Sun, Dec 20 2009, 8:38 pm
Plonis wrote:
Theres also an opinion that the immunity wears off.

I meant to make that point. The stats the CDC gives about 90% immunity after 2 shots is only a specific time after the second shot (I think one year?). Many of these shots they have no idea how long the immunity lasts.

Quote:
I'd personally check if my kids are immune (antibody test) and if not give them the vaccine or immunoglobulin. Mumps is not dangerous for girls or younger kids but can cause sterility in teen boys.

It's blessedly very, very rare for that to happen

amother

Post Sun, Dec 20 2009, 8:45 pm
If all this is true, that maybe immunity wears off, maybe there's a diffrent strain, maybe a batch was not good,, etc, ect., then why are we not hearing about mumps outbreaks all over the place!!!! People travel back and forth from UK and other places all the time to the US..non-Jews and Jews alike. Why did it start it a little camp in the Catskills? (I happen to persoally know the dr who diagnosed the 1st case over the summer) You would think that mumps outbreaks would be a big problem in many communities, not just the frum community. BUT, there is nothing anywhere else!!! IF it was a huge problem elsewhere, guaranteed it would be all over the news!

amother

Post Sun, Dec 20 2009, 8:55 pm
amother wrote:
If all this is true, that maybe immunity wears off, maybe there's a diffrent strain, maybe a batch was not good,, etc, ect., then why are we not hearing about mumps outbreaks all over the place!!!! People travel back and forth from UK and other places all the time to the US..non-Jews and Jews alike. Why did it start it a little camp in the Catskills? (I happen to persoally know the dr who diagnosed the 1st case over the summer) You would think that mumps outbreaks would be a big problem in many communities, not just the frum community. BUT, there is nothing anywhere else!!! IF it was a huge problem elsewhere, guaranteed it would be all over the news!

why?
well that is because frum communities are very crowded with very little hyegine. you might take this personlay, however I experienced seeing many children drop their food on floor , pick it up and continue eating it. I have seen babies crawing on streets or public places with their pacifiers touching floors as they go along on their exploring journey and then these babies stick these pacifiers not whashed strait into their mouths and I have seen children who are seek still being send to school becasue parents don't want to keep them home. many parents don't teach their children proper hygiene such as washing hands and cover you mouth when you cough or sneaze........ect....ext....ext......

amother

Post Sun, Dec 20 2009, 9:00 pm
amother wrote:
amother wrote:

why?
well that is because frum communities are very crowded with very little hyegine. you might take this personlay, however I experienced seeing many children drop their food on floor , pick it up and continue eating it. I have seen babies crawing on streets or public places with their pacifiers touching floors as they go along on their exploring journey and then these babies stick these pacifiers not whashed strait into their mouths and I have seen children who are seek still being send to school becasue parents don't want to keep them home. many parents don't teach their children proper hygiene such as washing hands and cover you mouth when you cough or sneaze........ect....ext....ext......

I would like to add that.....
I have speech therapist coming to my home weekly. she sneazes, coughs, and has rusty throat all the time and then looks at me and states that she has asthma and I should worry. however the other day when my 2 year old sneazed on her hand since he doesn't understand to cover his mouth yet, she ran to bathroom to wash her hands. she is not afraid to spread her germs to my child however she protects her self from my kids even if they are not ill. how should I look at that??????

this is why germs spread.......................

chavamom

Post Sun, Dec 20 2009, 9:01 pm
It is not just in the frum community.

I will tell you something that I learned in nursing school, FWIW. There was someone doing a study in my nursing school back then about why there tend to be epidemics in the frum communities (they were actually studying shigella specifically) but they concluded that we have more interpersonal contacts with one another (shul, schools, camps, eating meals on shabbos at one another's homes and in shul...and on and on) and not b/c of lack of hygiene. There have been a number of outbreaks that occurred at higher rates in the frum community, this is not new.

Plonis

Post Sun, Dec 20 2009, 10:13 pm
And blaming it on the frum Jews is ridiculous.... there are many many individuals who choose not to vaccinate! Why arent there more outbreaks? (One answer - maybe there are, but they are misdiagnosed. Docs won't look for a disease they think is "extinct".)

chavamom

Post Sun, Dec 20 2009, 10:18 pm
The majority of people who don't believe in vaccination are not frum Jews but religious X-ians of various sects. In those communities it is an across the board issue. Where they differ from us in terms of their "community" is that while they may be centered around a church, they often only meet en masse once or twice a week. Other than that, their children are frequently homeschooled and otherwise interact with the community at large. No daily minyan, no eating "sabbath meals" together on a regular basis, they are integrated into regular neighborhoods scattered around the city. You could see where transmission would be less likely.

betach

Post Mon, Dec 21 2009, 1:21 am
we got the mumps.
I'm glad.
I must admit: in the beginning I was stressed, b.c. of the lack of my education of how to deal with it. but b'h I learned quickly of safe and efficient wasy to deal with the situation.

first thing, remember: most of our parents got the mumps. it doesnt need to be more painful than the flu, if you allow yourself to use high doses of vit. C and some herbs. remember, vit. C is water soluble, and therefore, will just leave the body if too much is present- there is very little chance that there can be negative side effect. of course, common sense must be used, since when too much vit. c. is in the body, if parents aren't attenitive, dehidration can become an issue- but the situation makes itself very clearly known to anyone who is educated and responsible...

good luck and refuah shlaimah ukerovah to all who need a refuah!

(if you wish to use vit. c to fight flu or any time immune system is down, one way to do this is till 'bowel tolerance'.. you'll figure it out quickly enough.. and you might be surprised how much vit. c your body might need when fighting off an infection or other kraink.)

gryp

Post Mon, Dec 21 2009, 9:55 am
Betach, which form of vitamin C did you use?

amother

Post Mon, Dec 21 2009, 10:31 am
betach wrote:
we got the mumps.
I'm glad.
I must admit: in the beginning I was stressed, b.c. of the lack of my education of how to deal with it. but b'h I learned quickly of safe and efficient wasy to deal with the situation.

first thing, remember: most of our parents got the mumps. it doesnt need to be more painful than the flu, if you allow yourself to use high doses of vit. C and some herbs. remember, vit. C is water soluble, and therefore, will just leave the body if too much is present- there is very little chance that there can be negative side effect. of course, common sense must be used, since when too much vit. c. is in the body, if parents aren't attenitive, dehidration can become an issue- but the situation makes itself very clearly known to anyone who is educated and responsible...

good luck and refuah shlaimah ukerovah to all who need a refuah!

(if you wish to use vit. c to fight flu or any time immune system is down, one way to do this is till 'bowel tolerance'.. you'll figure it out quickly enough.. and you might be surprised how much vit. c your body might need when fighting off an infection or other kraink.)

you are glad your kids got the mumps???? Just wondering, does vitamin C also work with polio, or what about german measles?? Does vitamin C work for an infant with mumps or measle Ch"v??

amother

Post Mon, Dec 21 2009, 4:14 pm
I'd also be glad if my kids got mumps. Lifetime immunity, unlike the vax.

Vitamin C can also work with measles, polio, german measles, H1N1, and many other illnesses. Google for more info.

But you need A LOT. Use sodium ascorbate powder (ask a rov, may not need a hechsher) until bowel tolerance. The more you space out doses the more you can take before hitting tolerance (it is absorbed in the body very quicly - like a half hour). I found that grapefruit juice masks the taste very well.

gryp

Post Mon, Dec 21 2009, 5:11 pm
Thanks for the tip, amother.

Happy Mom

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 12:26 pm
amother wrote:
I'd also be glad if my kids got mumps. Lifetime immunity, unlike the vax.

Vitamin C can also work with measles, polio, german measles, H1N1, and many other illnesses. Google for more info.

But you need A LOT. Use sodium ascorbate powder (ask a rov, may not need a hechsher) until bowel tolerance. The more you space out doses the more you can take before hitting tolerance (it is absorbed in the body very quicly - like a half hour). I found that grapefruit juice masks the taste very well.

Excellent post, amother! (I wish I knew who you are!) So nice to see mothers who know about benefits of getting the disease and the lifetime immunity, as well as the benefits of vitamin c - I was pleasantly surprised to see sodium ascorbate recommended here since most people don't realize this is the form that is most effective (in the health food stores they don't even know what it is!). I have guidelines somewhere for how to figure out how much to give children according to body weight, but the doses are much higher than parents would generally give without guidance. Bowel tolerance is a simple way to figure it out. Smile

Last edited by Happy Mom on Sun, Dec 27 2009, 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 12:29 pm
the only thing that worries me aboutu the mumps is the possible effects of future fertility ch'v.

Happy Mom

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 12:31 pm
Chavamom, I often read your posts on health and think how valuable they are. In this thread they are especially helpful in adding important facts to combat the fear that is spreading. Thanks for being educated, balanced, accurate, and helpful!

Happy Mom

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 12:38 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
the only thing that worries me aboutu the mumps is the possible effects of future fertility ch'v.

Mama Bear, haven't you seen the very tiny statistical likelihood that would be a problem? There's always a possibility with anything that something can happen that will have negative effects - but we use our rational minds so we're not consumed by unbalanced fear. Otherwise we'd be afraid to cross the street, get into a car, give a child any kind of medicine...

As frum Jews, we have to remember that everything isn't in our hands - it's up to H-shem. So when something goes wrong despite our best efforts, then we have to know that H-shem wants us to have that experience, that at some level it's beneficial to us. That's not to say it's enjoyable for us, or that we'd choose it for ourselves, but H-shem knows what every one of us needs in every single area. We can release at least some of our fear by remembering this.

rainbow

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 12:48 pm
I got the mumps after being vaccinated. I was home from school for three weeks. It did not affect my fertility and my 5 kids are testimony to that!

micki

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 12:50 pm
rainbow wrote:
I got the mumps after being vaccinated. I was home from school for three weeks. It did not affect my fertility and my 5 kids are testimony to that!

correct me if I am wrong, but it only affects males re CH"V infertility
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics