Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
ARGH!!!! MUMPS HAVE TAKEN OVER OUR TOWN!!!
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 2:46 pm
Quote:
correct me if I am wrong, but it only affects males re CH"V infertility

I don't have to look up references now but I know I researched it when we had a false alarm a while ago. In females, mumps can spread to an ovary as well. But usually, in both males and females, it's only on one side, to the best of my recollection.

My Health Food Store is selling a mumps preventative and a remedy once someone catches it (homeopathic).

grin

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 3:31 pm
Happy Mom wrote:
amother wrote:
I'd also be glad if my kids got mumps. Lifetime immunity, unlike the vax.

Vitamin C can also work with measles, polio, german measles, H1N1, and many other illnesses. Google for more info.

But you need A LOT. Use sodium ascorbate powder (ask a rov, may not need a hechsher) until bowel tolerance. The more you space out doses the more you can take before hitting tolerance (it is absorbed in the body very quicly - like a half hour). I found that grapefruit juice masks the taste very well.

Excellent post, amother! (I wish I knew who you are!) So nice to see mothers who know about benefits of getting the disease and the lifetime immunity, as well as the benefits of vitamin c - I was pleasantly surprised to see sodium ascorbate recommended here since most people don't realize this is the form that is most effective (in the health food stores they don't even know what it is!). I have guidelines somewhere for how to figure out how much to give children according to body weight, but the doses are much higher than parents would generally give without guidance. Bowel tolerance is a simple way to figure it out. Smile
I don't understand - if you think that getting the mumps is no big deal, so why would you even care about lifetime immunity?

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 5:58 pm
Happy Mom wrote:
Mama Bear wrote:
the only thing that worries me aboutu the mumps is the possible effects of future fertility ch'v.

Mama Bear, haven't you seen the very tiny statistical likelihood that would be a problem? There's always a possibility with anything that something can happen that will have negative effects - but we use our rational minds so we're not consumed by unbalanced fear. Otherwise we'd be afraid to cross the street, get into a car, give a child any kind of medicine...

As frum Jews, we have to remember that everything isn't in our hands - it's up to H-shem. So when something goes wrong despite our best efforts, then we have to know that H-shem wants us to have that experience, that at some level it's beneficial to us. That's not to say it's enjoyable for us, or that we'd choose it for ourselves, but H-shem knows what every one of us needs in every single area. We can release at least some of our fear by remembering this.
Having gone through 9 years of infertility and being intimately familiar with couples who are going through irreversible male infertility, I really would not want to expose any of my children to anything htat could cause infertility, no matter how low the chances. yes, e/thing is in H's hands, but to willingly want my child to have an illness that MAYBE can compromise his fertility? no way Jose.

gryp

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 8:37 pm
Infertility isn't even listed as one of the side-effects on the CDC website. Probably because it's so rare.

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 8:58 pm
there's hardly any info on the cdc website. they dont mention the ppl who got deaf from mumps. my pediatrician had a patient who had swelling in the testicles - I think they were an unvaccinated patient - and he sent him to the urologist. Bh it was only one testicle, not both, but that's scary enough.

click here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mumps orchitis and subfertility are mentioned immediately.

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 9:00 pm
and btw - my sister in law had the mumps in her 9th month, she was so, so sick, she ended up having no energy to push and after 2 hours of pushing she ended up with a c section. she had wanted to do hypnobirthing! My brother was sick for 2 whole weeks, with high fever, he couldnt swallow for days. mumps isnt a cakewalk. and these were vaccinated ppl! why would I on PURPOSE expose my kid to such a difficult illness?

chavamom

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 9:05 pm
Swelling in a testicle does not equal subfertility. I'm sure I posted this on another thread - but IIRC, it's around 2% that get swelling in a testicle, and of that small percentage, 98% only get it in one side. And even those that get swelling in BOTH, the vast majority recover unaffected. Even those whose fertility appears to be impaired, some make a spontaneous recovery. Also, this doesn't affect young children who get mumps, only those past puberty. So you can see that it's EXTREMELY rare to become sterile. I wouldn't say "sure, go out and expose your unvaccinated teenage sons" but it certainly isn't something to stay up nights worrying about.

chavamom

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 9:11 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
why would I on PURPOSE expose my kid to such a difficult illness?

I can tell you the theory behind why people would do it. B/c mumps is much easier for kids, doesn't have the risks associated with those who get it after puberty and then you don't have to worry about getting it (like your brother and SIL) as adults b/c their vaccine immunity wore off.

Just FYI - people don't wind up with c/sec b/c they are "too tired to push". We have people that aren't allowed to push that still deliver vaginally. The let the baby "labor down" to a low station and then pull it out with forceps. If a woman is tired, there is no harm in letting her rest with an epidural, even complete and then pushing after she's rested a bit. This idea that somehow "you'll have a c/sec b/c you are too tired to push" (and yes, I've heard OB's say it too) bugs me to no end.

chavamom

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 9:15 pm
On facebook there is a photo of my father when he was 5. My sister asked me if I knew that he had mumps in the photo. I asked "why in the world would they take a kid with mumps to have his picture taken?" She said, "Dude, don't you know? An appointment is an appointment." Yekkes! We had a good laugh over that one.

micki

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 10:42 pm
if it is such a easy disease to get over, then why did they make a vaccine for it?
seems to me that things like polio etc- this one was made at the same time. so why was it made?

chavamom

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 10:50 pm
B/c back when there were yearly epidemics, there were a few men yearly who became sterile. This was supposed to prevent that from happening.

micki

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 11:01 pm
so if the vaccine is supposed to prevent sterility, why would anyone want to expose their kids to it now, if it was such a concern?

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 11:29 pm
chavamom wrote:
Mama Bear wrote:

I can tell you the theory behind why people would do it. B/c mumps is much easier for kids, doesn't have the risks associated with those who get it after puberty and then you don't have to worry about getting it (like your brother and SIL) as adults b/c their vaccine immunity wore off.

Just FYI - people don't wind up with c/sec b/c they are "too tired to push". We have people that aren't allowed to push that still deliver vaginally. The let the baby "labor down" to a low station and then pull it out with forceps. If a woman is tired, there is no harm in letting her rest with an epidural, even complete and then pushing after she's rested a bit. This idea that somehow "you'll have a c/sec b/c you are too tired to push" (and yes, I've heard OB's say it too) bugs me to no end.
My sister in law pushed for 2 hours. baby was still at -1. and she had labored down for an hour before that. I guess the head just didnt fit. Maybe if she had a midwife and doula and labord in different positions she coulve managed. bottom line is, this woman was wrung out from the mumps. you cant imagine how weak she was. it's not a fun illness. maybe it's not so bad in kids? I should find out - my nephew has it now.... I'm holding my breath that my family shouldnt be next chv Sad

chavamom

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 11:59 pm
We don't even start pushing where I work now until a head has come down to a +2 station. I think your analysis is correct - didn't fit the way it was coming. But to say that this happened b/c of the exhaustion from the mumps is quite a stretch.

gryp

Post Mon, Dec 28 2009, 9:14 am
Mumps is going around like wildfire here. I refuse to live in fear of a disease, any of them. You do what you can prevention-wise and if it comes, recovery methods and comfort measures for during. Once you've learned all that, you can stop doing the "what if's" in your mind.

(I found sodium ascorbate on a major sale online. I ordered enough so that I won't have to buy for a loooong time. LOL )

grin

Post Mon, Dec 28 2009, 9:19 am
chavamom wrote:
Mama Bear wrote:

but if they don't catch it as kids, then their chances of being exposed later are even greater than had they been immunized, no?

chanab

Post Mon, Dec 28 2009, 9:21 am
can you post a link, GR?

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Nov 04 2012, 9:03 pm
Reviving an old thread here because I just read this: Mumps Outbreak Traced to Chevrusa Learning.

The CDC checked into over 1600 mumps cases among Orthodox Jews in NY and found that 89% of the cases occurred in people who had been properly vaccinated. The article goes on to say "chavrusa study, with its prolonged, face-to-face contact," probably resulted in high exposures to the virus, and these "overcame vaccine-induced protection in individual students."

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Nov 04 2012, 9:09 pm
We should get all the vaccines we can, and if they are not enough, we should hope for even more vaccines that are even more useful. But they all help. I have had the pneumonia one, and the shingles one, B"H because that can be awful later in life, and would like a tetanus one because it has been ten years.

Someone up there said in this thread said that the vaccine may reduce the effect of the disease even if it cannot prevent it entirely. No, none of these diseases are anything to fool with. We must not be complacent.

Half a loaf is better than no bread. Take what is available.

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Nov 04 2012, 9:13 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
Reviving an old thread here because I just read this: Mumps Outbreak Traced to Chevrusa Learning.

The CDC checked into over 1600 mumps cases among Orthodox Jews in NY and found that 89% of the cases occurred in people who had been properly vaccinated. The article goes on to say "chavrusa study, with its prolonged, face-to-face contact," probably resulted in high exposures to the virus, and these "overcame vaccine-induced protection in individual students."

Maybe. Sounds weird. Diseases spread just fine without yeshivas or parties or dinners. They predate all these things; transmit in the air, on a coat sleeve.

Last edited by Dolly Welsh on Sun, Nov 04 2012, 10:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics