Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Shabbos Lunch Sides for Guest with Celiac Disease

miriamg

Post Wed, Dec 02 2009, 2:38 pm
We're having a guest for Shabbos lunch who has celiac disease, and I'm looking for ideas for side dishes, preferably kugels, that are appropriate. All the standard noodle/cranberry/apple kugels and doughless potato knish are out.

Any other ideas (e.g., main/chicken) would be appreciated too.

Please post the recipes!
Thanks!

rydys

Post Wed, Dec 02 2009, 2:50 pm
potato kugel--this recipe has no flour

5 potatoes, grated
1 onion, grated
2 eggs
1/2 cup oil
1 tsp salt
pepper to taste

bake on 400 for 1 hour. a double recipe makes a 9x13 pan

rice with mushrooms

cold rice salad

corn salad

for others, look in a Pesach cookbook for other kugels with potato starch

Shalshelet

Post Wed, Dec 02 2009, 3:11 pm
Tamar Ansh has a great cookbook for gluten free year round - it's her Pesach: Anything's Possible cookbook - very different in that it doesn't gives you ideas for all parts of the meal as well as shying away from heavy potato starch

To answer your question for side dishes here are a few suggestions:
Anything sweet potato based (ie. mashed sweet potato [kugel] with pineapple/cranberries/ etc.)
anything rice based (be sure that it's either non-enriched or that the company says that it's gluten free) - ie risotto, rice and veggies

additionally, you can try substituting potato/corn starch for flour in a recipe if it doesn't call for too much (ie 1-2 Tbsp.) otherwise I'd suggest a gluten free flour blend.

and for main - a recipe I've used for the time just a few weeks ago, quick easy and delicious:
Sticky Crockpot Chicken Drumsticks
Serves 4
gazillionth
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. thyme leaves
1/2 tsp. white pepper
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. black pepper
2 lbs. chicken drumsticks, skinned if desired
1/2 cup chopped onion

Preparation:
In a small bowl, thoroughly combine salt and all the spices. Rinse drumsticks and pat dry with paper towel. Rub the spice mixture into the chicken, skin side and bone side, making sure it is evenly distributed and pressed down deep into the skin. Place in a resealable plastic bag, seal, place in a baking pan to catch any drips, and refrigerate overnight.
Place the onions in the bottom of a 4 quart crockpot and top with the chicken and spices. Cook on LOW for 8-12 hours until very tender.

elmos

Post Wed, Dec 02 2009, 7:34 pm
cauliflower or broccli ugel with fried onion egg mayo and spices works well I do it like this so its carb free and healthier. I also do a zuchini kugel were I shred zuchini and onion occasionally I add one small potato to thicken the texture add egg and salt and pepper and bake like a potato kugel. Salads are also an idea

OldYoung

Post Wed, Dec 02 2009, 7:55 pm
spaghetti squash- there's a great herb something or other spaghetti squash recipe (I think it's milchig but you can adapt) in the Spice It Right cookbook. Do you have it?

greeneyes

Post Wed, Dec 02 2009, 9:21 pm
pumpkin pie, minus the crust http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....n+pie

sweet potato salad http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....salad

quinoa salad

broccoli kugel

Shalshelet

Post Wed, Dec 02 2009, 9:43 pm
I also forgot to add dishes whose main ingr. are winter squashes (butternut, acorn, etc.)

ra_mom

Post Wed, Dec 02 2009, 10:24 pm
butternut squash fries

broccoli kugel (I have a recipe made with mayo and egg only - no starch fillers and no soup mix)

rice salad

roasted chicken with carmelized onion

You can make a really delicious garlic roasted chicken and vegetable dish all in one pan. So yum. It has the chicken, veggies and potatoes all there together in 1 huge roasting pan.

tell us what you plan on making for a main dish, and we'll tell you how to season/serve it Smile

miriamg

Post Thu, Dec 03 2009, 2:13 am
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Shalshelet, do you have a recipe for the mashed sweet potato kugel with pineapple?

Elmos - what are the proportions for the zuchinni kugel?

Shalshelet and ReallyAwesome, Can one make any roast chicken recipe in the crock pot for the next day and it won't get dried out/overdone, especially when Shabbos is so early? Also, how long before Shabbos would you put the chicken up to cook?

Thanks again!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Dec 03 2009, 9:17 am
(One time as a guest of hosts where the father had celiac disease, we watched him load his plate with something like 8 pieces of potato kugel -- we thought he was divvying up the kugel onto 2 serving platters to pass around; nope, it was all for him!

They also served winter squash, ratatouille, and I don't remember what else.)

Shalshelet

Post Thu, Dec 03 2009, 11:48 am
miriamg wrote:
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Shalshelet, do you have a recipe for the mashed sweet potato kugel with pineapple?

Elmos - what are the proportions for the zuchinni kugel?

Shalshelet and ReallyAwesome, Can one make any roast chicken recipe in the crock pot for the next day and it won't get dried out/overdone, especially when Shabbos is so early? Also, how long before Shabbos would you put the chicken up to cook?

Thanks again!

Miriamg, for the sweet potato kugel, I use a combo of Spice and Spirits Sweet potato puffs on pineapple (they have a kugel variation) and sweet potato scoops from tamar ansh older pesach cookbook. I leave out use the bread crumbs/matza meal.

Tamar's recipe is here on pg 75. You can also search her cookbook for other ideas.

I usually prep the crock early, leave it in the fridge, and then put it up right before shabbos.

HTH.

SomebodyElse

Post Thu, Dec 03 2009, 12:13 pm
ra_mom wrote:

You can make a really delicious garlic roasted chicken and vegetable dish all in one pan. So yum. It has the chicken, veggies and potatoes all there together in 1 huge roasting pan.

Sounds yum and easy. Could you post your recipe?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Dec 03 2009, 12:42 pm

Last edited by ra_mom on Sat, Feb 26 2011, 9:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

Tweedledee

Post Tue, Dec 08 2009, 2:03 pm
miriamg wrote:
We're having a guest for Shabbos lunch who has celiac disease, and I'm looking for ideas for side dishes, preferably kugels, that are appropriate. All the standard noodle/cranberry/apple kugels and doughless potato knish are out.

Any other ideas (e.g., main/chicken) would be appreciated too.

Please post the recipes!
Thanks!

I have celiac.
standard potato kugal is great, lukshun kugal made of rice nudels is delicious (only hot though. it tastes funny cold), aside frm that we can eat most chicken and meats that are not breaded with wheat. bread with corn flake crumbs instead, baked chicken with bbq sauce,

fpr a fancy dessert, halve bosq or bartlett pears and core. fill the core hollow wth whleberry canberry sauce and bake. serve cold for dessert or hot as a side.

elmos

Post Mon, Feb 08 2010, 2:42 pm
sorry never saw the question like 3 large zuchini one onion one potato and 2-4 eggs ans seasoning. spray pan and if you wantcan use oil.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes