Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
DH needs total wardrobe makeover!

amother

Post Mon, Feb 23 2009, 2:41 pm
I've begun to notice that DH wears the same sweaters and fleece over and over when it's not shabbat/yontov. He wears the same items so often color began to fade which makes him look even more frumpy. On top of this, some of his clothes are the same style since his college days in early 80s, including corduroy pants embarrassed embarrassed embarrassed .

I must say I am not much into fashion or clothes myself but I just wish DH can look a bit more trendy. He doesn't work in the office so he doesn't have to wear suits. I also know he doesn't like yuppy look like chinos and polo shirts. The hard bit is most of our friends' husbands are either professionals (who are in suits/chino-polos) or yeshivish (white shirts black pants) and DH doesn't really fit into either one. Any suggestions + WHAT DOES YOUR DH WEAR DURING THE WEEK? We're modern ortho, living chuz if that helps. Help Help Help

amother

Post Mon, Feb 23 2009, 2:42 pm
OOPS, I've just noticed this is under Womens Health. oh well, it does affect my mental health after all.

greenfire

Post Mon, Feb 23 2009, 2:44 pm
ooh I love to shop for men's clothes ... so much FUN ... and easier than women's stuff ... to to marshall's/old navy/gap/macy's ... find stuff on clearance racks ...

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Feb 23 2009, 3:06 pm
He can go to Men's Warehouse and get everything - they offer free lifetime alterations even. You won't have to worry that his clothes will look too trendy or urban.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 23 2009, 3:23 pm
Why don't you just buy him some new stuff to replace the old, faded goods if they offend you so much? In general I'm not in favor of wives buying their husbands' clothes (make that, I'm not in favor of my buying my dh's clothes, but go right ahead and buy your dh clothes if that floats your boat)--but if you're really put off by what dh is wearing and he refuses to buy anything new, then go out and buy him new and get rid of the old. Do let him know what you're doing, though.

what's your beef--that he's out of style or that the clothes are dilapidated? if the latter, buy him classic styles and when you do, get 2 of the exact same thing. when the first starts to look ratty, get rid of it and bring out its twin. If he's 20 years out of style, that's a different issue. Sticking to classics will help here, too.

I have a similar issue but most of the time I feel what dh wears to work is his business. I will throw out a shirt that has a frayed collar if I see it, and on very rare occasions I will buy him something like new shirts for YT as a gift. I refuse to put myself in the position of being dh's wardrobe mistress.

Chocoholic

Post Mon, Feb 23 2009, 6:17 pm
Go to a nice big outlet mall and go for staples, pants, shirts, polos, sweaters... I recently went because I felt my DH could use a new wardrobe, and I got him TONS of things for a few hundred dollars (everything at at least 70-80% discount).... over 20 shirts, manyyyy t-shirts, pants, etc etc! All from good brands such as banana republic, gap, tommy hilfiger and the like! Find out your DHs size and go by yourself on a weekday morning mon or tue or something like that when it is not so busy, and go ahead!

I am generally not a supporter of a DW buying her DH clothes, but I have a good sense of style, I know what DH will like and what he won't, and I have patience to spend hours in outlet stores selecting the best (my DH is the type to enter and buying the first thing he sees). We both end up happier, me being able to shop and spending hours finding only the best at prices below bargain, and him having a nice new wardrobe in nice styles without wasting money. He loves it. It´s a win-win.

pinkbubbles

Post Tue, Feb 24 2009, 4:50 am
I dont know where you are, but there are a lot of stores having end of season sales now. You can get him really nice shirts, pants, sweaters, jackets, etc for great prices.
For example Macys and Lord & Taylors (any good department store) have really good men's selections. You can also take him to Woodbury Commons if you live around there..

My DH wears a mix of black pants, colored shirts (sometimse with a V neck sweater on top), jeans/tshirts/sweaters, etc. For shoes he wears his brown leather sheepskin lined boots, his Crocs, his black tie shoes, or brown funky shoes. Thats pretty much it.. Oh and Shabbat is a suit with shirt and tie.

Lady Godiva

Post Mon, Mar 02 2009, 6:35 pm
Guys (in general) love to wear what their woman likes on them, so if you buy him nice shirts, pants...and tell him he looks great in it, I'm sure you could slowly change his style to one you both like.

Blair

Post Sun, Mar 15 2009, 6:35 am
Why don't you surprise him with a new robe and a few other new pieces of clothing.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics