Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
New furniture or old new furniture

ClaRivka

Post Sun, Mar 15 2009, 8:54 pm
All the furnishings in my house are from a gemach or came with the apt. None of them are up to date or even look nice.

I really want to re decorate. I love interior design.
Since the apt has probably not been updated since the late 70's we asked our landlord if we could redo the apt (new carpet paint, flooring, etc) and she said yes.

Now we might very well end up owning this building in a year or two. Should I just paint everything white and go for neutral colors or shud I go with what I like? (I hate neutrals..)

Also, I want new furniture. My mother is insistent that I get furniture that I wont mind having children throw up on, etc. But im thinking that if I lay out money for new stuff then I want to like it! I'm sorry I may have expensive taste but what should I do??
She said get neutral colors with browns and tans and stuff but if I dont have a living place that is stark colors, white with blues and greens etc then I get depressed. I need light and airy, and she says that a kid will ruin everything in two seconds!

now im in a rut...My bday is in two weeks and my parents and husband decided that they r going to buy me 2 new sitting chairs and a recliner...but I dont kno what color or anything.

(Keep in mind that I do not have children and ive had one baby in my apt since we moved in 2 and a half years ago.)

RachelEve14

Post Sun, Mar 15 2009, 11:43 pm
I would buy practical furniture, but home decorating is also not my "thing" ya know? If it's comfortable to sit on and doesn't look horrible I really don't care. Why not go for nice middle of the line stuff? Or less expensive stuff in the colors / styles you like. I found leather more practical, but again, it doesn't bother me either way. We have old hand me down stuff from IL and it's not really my taste but it's fine for now.

Marion

Post Sun, Mar 15 2009, 11:59 pm
I would do neutrals (beiges, not whites) on the walls and colours in your fabrics and decorative pieces. Best of both worlds.

ClaRivka

Post Mon, Mar 16 2009, 7:30 am
y wud you go with beige on the wall and not like a cream or white?

OldYoung

Post Mon, Mar 16 2009, 7:55 am
There are colors other than weight or cream that are neutral too. A lot of people will paint a living room or dining room a buttery yellow and pair with dark brown leather or dark wood. If there is good lighting and windows, it wouldn't feel stuffy and could still feel light and airy. We have dark brown leather couches and I change the throw pillows every so often to make the designer in me feel good. Wink I do agree with your mother. There are some fabrics that are definitely not great with children around, are tough to clean, and wear differently than others. It's smart to choose something durable, not just for kids, but for adults too! I'm sure I've spilled coffee on our couches, but there are no stains to tell...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics