Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Let sleep on couch?

Seraph

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 4:58 pm
So I recently posted about how my son wants the door to his bedroom open when he's going to sleep.
Lately he hasnt wanted to go to sleep in his room, so I make a deal with him- he can lie down on the couch and go to sleep, but if he talks or gets up, he goes in his crib. And then once he's asleep I transfer him.
Good idea, or bad?
He actually does fall asleep on the couch half the time. The other half of the time he goes to sleep beautifully in the crib, because I gave him a warning that if he continues talking/playing/getting up, he'll go there....

flowerpower

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 7:49 pm
I say-whatever works.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 7:56 pm
It'll ruin the couch. And you don't have access to it when he's asleep. He could wet it up...get lice...any number of scenarios that are..distasteful.

It's also bad for his back.

curlytop

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 8:48 pm
I agree with flowerpower, whatever works.
I have let my DS go to sleep on the coach occasionally, he thinks its a treat and usually lays nicely and goes to sleep.... I also do that.. that if he moves he goes in his bed, and that really works, but you have to reinforce it.

anonymom

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 8:48 pm
I call it setting a precedent. If you allow it once, and especially if you allow it on a regular basis, it becomes hard to take it away when you don't want to allow it for whatever reason. So think very carefully if this is what you want. It may be just a passing phase, but maybe not.

Also, he may be testing you. He wants to see what your boundries are. If he gets this easily, what will he ask for next?

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 8:53 pm
I was going to write the same as anonymom. I am very big into consistency. Seraph, the whole "not wanting to go to sleep in crib" stage could pass in 3-5 days when he see you don't give in, that you both agree that sleep only happens in the crib.

Maybe you could give him a couch pillow or something to take into the crib... would he like that?

ss321

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 9:11 pm
btMOMtoFFBs wrote:
I was going to write the same as anonymom. I am very big into consistency. Seraph, the whole "not wanting to go to sleep in crib" stage could pass in 3-5 days when he see you don't give in, that you both agree that sleep only happens in the crib.

Maybe you could give him a couch pillow or something to take into the crib... would he like that?

I agree with this seraph
I am not exactly worried about him getting lice or (?) ruining the couch... but I think its setting not such a good precident. I am very big into order...even when they are little babies, they should know that a crib is where they sleep. I am not a big scheduler, and I dont kill myself to make sure I am home by bedtime or anything, but in general, if it is naptime, I try to make sure that is in a bed, not (if possible) a car, a floor with blankets, my bed, etc.
I think this not wanting to sleep w the door closed could really be cured if you are just a bit "tougher" on it for a few days. as hard and mean as it sounds....SO-hell cry for 5 minutes. but unles he has a serous FEAR of the dark and is terrified of it, its probably just that he wants the attention, he wants to see you, etc. I think BtmomtoFFBs idea is a good one-give him the option of (ooh how exciting) a couch pillow. or a pillow from your bed. or a night light. whatever.... but its gonna be annoying if you get him used to falling asleep on the couch-when you want to do something in the living room and hes sleeping, when you want to wash your dishes and its too noisy with him there, etc.

e1234

Post Fri, Mar 20 2009, 3:44 am
If you let him start it's very hard to stop ---trust me iv'e replaced mt couch a few times because of this.

Now we let the kids camp out on the couches fri night -- though mt 2 year old sleeps on the couch other times as well
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics