Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Traveling Kosher
Previous  1  2

Raisin

Post Tue, Mar 17 2009, 4:42 pm
there is also something called amazing meals by meal mart. you need a microwave to heat them up but they do not refrigerating. I think they are double wrapped so you can heat them in a non kosher oven or microwave.

su7kids

Post Tue, Mar 17 2009, 4:43 pm
I believe there is a Walmart Superstore in Yuma. You can get TONS of kosher food there. Not a problem. I don't think there is a Chabad House, though. Its quite a drive from San Diego which may be the closest city with anything kosher.

You can get by with lots of fruit and vegetables and there is always manishevitz along the way.

This is all very exciting.

devorahrivka

Post Tue, Mar 17 2009, 4:46 pm
DiznyIma wrote:
Wow, I had no idea that domestic adoptions were down because of the economy...but it makes sense...

We might look into that at some point down the road.....

The people able to adopt are down but the people wanting a home for their babies are up...sad but true.

We got lucky as the adoption lawyer is a friend of my aunt. My aunt runs a Jewish pre-school and the lawyer's kids go. So he found us some financial assistance and cut his fees for us to be able to do it. It still cost but we were able to take out a loan...so now our loans have loans LOL...actually because of tax returns its the only loan we have out now...I don't mind paying it as much as for other things Smile

mominisrael2

Post Fri, Mar 20 2009, 5:22 am
I second the suggestion to scope out Walmarts (especially Super-Walmarts, which are more common in remote areas anyway) and Chabad houses along your route -- we've taken lots of driving trips over the years and have always found Walmart to have lots of kosher food. A few years back we took a trip to one of the more remote islands of Hawaii, and I emailed the Chabad rebbetzin beforehand and it was enormously helpful (even found a vegan restaurant under their hashgachah on an island with ZERO Jews!). The biggest problem with kosher food I remember having on a trip was to the Bahamas, and we took everything with us -- Meal Mart and LaBriute both make travel meals (the LaBriute ones you don't even need a microwave to use -- they include some kind of self-heating element), and both come in so many different flavors that our shabbos in Hawaii we were able to make a huge meal out of them -- chicken soup, cholent, side dishes, everything! We even found kosher spaghetti and meatballs in a can! Meal Mart has even started making Pesach travel meals if your journey lands during that time.

B'shaah tovah and hope everything works out!

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, Mar 22 2009, 5:38 pm
The easiest way is to rely on cold meals--you should be able to find pita, hummous, cream cheese or yogurt (if you aren't strict chalov yisrael). You can always find vegetables and fruits. Natural food stores (but not Whole Foods) may have better offering of food with hechsher.
Supplement with tinned tuna, nuts, cereals and crackers.

The trickiest bit on staying at hotels/motels on shabbat is those magnetic keys. You can either explain the situaiton beforehand so that staff at the hotel can help you, or (our usual option) tape the door (where the lock closes) with a piece of strong adhesive tape so that the lock doesn't work. (If you do that, please do be careful about valuables.) The worst ones are where the whole electricity is controlled by the room key.

DH has tried laburiut meals--he was not impressed, he thought it was inferior to kosher airline meals.
Also I've noticed that shamash database, while very extensive, may not necessarily the most reliable--you'll need to check beforehand.

devorahrivka

Post Sun, Mar 22 2009, 7:37 pm
Thanks for all your replies. We just got an email today that the due date is now April 19 so I hope thats when she'll go into labor and I wont have to worry about passover. All your advice has been so helpful. We are making up a passover list and not passover list just in case. We go passed a kosher store on the way to get deli and good bagels and DH is figuring out our exact route as I type this so I can find other stores/restaurants.

My DD suggested bringing our electric tea pot and that way we can make roman noodles and such in the hotel room as well as a few yummy couscous salads we love.

I don't know why I didn't think of pita bread. My family loves them and are really very happy with salad greens and hummous stuffed in them.

I saw they make cerial in little take along cups now, which will come in handy.

In yesterday's mail there was a gift to me from DH; travel shabbat candle holders. Very Happy His way of telling me he won't be a jerk. Wink

So thanks to your suggestions I'm feeling a lot more confident that I can pull this off without my family revolting LOL...and without making me nuts.

Thanks for your help and if you think of more please don't hesitate to add it to the list Very Happy

bubs

Post Thu, Mar 26 2009, 2:29 pm
We have been stuck in the middle of nowhere for shabbos. The one thing that is impossible to get is grape juice or wine so make sure to take it along. Challahs as well and take some cold cuts. These can be frozen so they are no problem. Everything else is available in any supermarket. Just take some tuna, cereal, peanut butter etc and ruff it up a little. It will be an experience for everyone. We've done major road trips with the kids and they loved just having these type of things and when we got to a major city we splurged. Enjoy the trip and bshaa tova( however you spell it in english)
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics