Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Last minute name changes

Did you ever change the name you would give your child at the last minute?
No, we always stuck with the name we had decided on  
 28%  [ 8 ]
No, since we never decide on names before the birth  
 17%  [ 5 ]
Yes, since the baby didn't fit the name we had chosen  
 14%  [ 4 ]
Yes, due to the timing or circumstances of the birth  
 3%  [ 1 ]
Yes, for a different reason  
 28%  [ 8 ]
Other  
 7%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 28

Atali

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 10:36 am
Did any of you (or your husband) decide to change the name you had decided for the baby at the last minute? If so, why? Was it unintentional (blurted out the "wrong" name at bris), related to when the baby was born, due to a dream, or just plain ruach hakodesh.

We did not have a name decided before any of my kids were born, but DD's name came to me in a dream a few hours after I gave birth. DS #2 was easy to name. He was born on erev Pesach (the Rambam's birthday) and therefore got named Moshe.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 10:44 am
We changed the order of the names during the pregnancy.
We also almost changed for a family name that happened to be also time related then decided for the person still not named after (the original name).
we also considered translating everything in Hebrew to have fewer names to place (for example a Yaffa could be for a Sheyna and a Bella) but decided the original names were so rare it was worth keeping them as is.

But at birth the name was really set and the announcements already all printed.

mummy-bh

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 10:50 am
My first boy was yellow so had his bris pushed off by three weeks. We therefore had ample time to agree on a name, right?! (We try not to discuss before the baby is born) Wrong! We had two names - for family members - that we kept going between, then the night before the bris we came to a 'final' decision.

Then the morning of the bris we looked at each other and said 'hang on a minute! this is our first boy! we have to call him for the Rebbe!'

So his name is Menachem Mendel Very Happy

ra_mom

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 10:55 am
We had a definate boys name, and a probable girls name. When our daughter was born, I found out that the name that we had chosen, actually belonged to a great-aunt, and not a great-grandmother, as I originally thought. So I wasn't too excited about the name anymore.
Dd's Kiddish was scheduled for 8 days after she was born, and 6 days after birth, we still hadn't decided on a name! I kept going through that week's Parshah looking for a name, but I could not find one! That day I had to go to the hospital due to complications. So late that night when I was laying in the hospital bed and dh was sitting next to me, we started going the all the names of the Tanach. When we came to my daughter's name, we both said, I like that. And that's how she was named!

fiddle

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 10:57 am
5 0'clock in the morning the day of the bris I said name him "x". we had two names picked from before I was pregnant and that morning I decided against them both. dunno why

chaylizi

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 11:05 am
my dd's are named for family members and we never changed the original name we decided.

my ds was named after my father & we had to add a name. we came up with 3 or 4 different possibilites but never really decided. when we called to check the name with our rebbe, dh asked what name we should add & gave the names we were thinking about. we had gone back and forth for years hypothesizing what name we would add if we potentially had a boy.

RachelEve14

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 11:35 am
The twins were born on Friday morning and we named them on Shabbot. We had tossed around Rena during hte pregnancy, and Nechama came from the situation (my grandfather had just passed away). Rena seemed even more suitable so it was a given. I told dh to name them if he felt it was right and he did.

Rivka my grandmother died right when I got pregnant, so it was sort of understood if it would be a girl she would be Rivka.

Avraham Tzvi we discussed a little during the pregnancy, but dh didn't really want to discuss it until after. We kept coming back to Avraham (although we talked about other possibilities) but it wasn't until right before the Brit we finally decided on the Tzvi (we went back and forth between 2 different middle names or no middle name). I left the final choice up to dh becaue all the kids were named for my side (and so was Avraham and so was Tzvi, but the other middle name was for his side). He decided to use Tzvi because my grandfather wasn't officially named for and his was (he has 8 nieces and nephews all older than our kids).

amother

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 11:57 am
With one of my boys we knew the meaning we wanted & we knew the mid name. The first name came down to 2 names. We couldn't decide. The morning of the bris I to dh to go to shul & after davening tell me what he "decided".

micki

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 12:00 pm
mummy-bh wrote:
My first boy was yellow so had his bris pushed off by three weeks. We therefore had ample time to agree on a name, right?! (We try not to discuss before the baby is born) Wrong! We had two names - for family members - that we kept going between, then the night before the bris we came to a 'final' decision.

Then the morning of the bris we looked at each other and said 'hang on a minute! this is our first boy! we have to call him for the Rebbe!'

So his name is Menachem Mendel Very Happy

we did the same thing! bris was 3 weeks late, an uncle passed away he was gonna be called that, then 2 hours before the bris we said wait a minute- that uncle has kids- we want to call him after the Rebbe- name is M.M.!

hila

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 12:09 pm
My 3rd was going to be Talia if she was a girl. but when we looked at her (all 4.3kg of her) she does did not look like a dew drop.

So we took Dvora ( as an eshet milchama - she was born during the Gulf War) and added Chaya - to keep my ex-mil happy and bcs it seemed to fit.

mamacita

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 9:44 pm
We had a wonderful name picked out but even though I had been convinced throughout the pg that I was having a boy, I did not, sooooo we had to scramble for a name. Smile

Then we had a boy and got to use that perfect name that was leftover. hehe.

mommy's daughter

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 10:04 pm
my kida are named after ggf,mil,gf no changes bu Iwanted to add name after mil but rabbi said no

Mimisinger

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 10:33 pm
why did the rabbi say no?

With ds #1 - it was decided beforehand

with ds#2 it was decided before hand and in the hosp. right before I was leaving, dh and I got into the whole convo and I wanted to change the name to something different. I cried, he hated the name....we went with the original one.... I'm still a bit sad about it, but like the one we chose also.

Mimisinger

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 10:34 pm
Oh and I thought for sure we were having a girl, so had the perfect name - still do. Everyone asks what it is but IYH one day we'll use it and don't want to spoil the surprise.

mominisrael2

Post Sat, Mar 21 2009, 3:45 pm
DD1 and her cousin were the first girls in the family in quite a few generations...I was due first but SIL ended up being early, and named her daughter Leiba after DH/BIL's GGM. We also wanted to name after the same relative (and were surprised that they didn't use a different GGM's name), so we used Ahuva, GGM's Hebrew name, and added the other GGM's name, Faiga, as a middle name after I was already overdue. It wasn't a name I wanted at first but now I love it.

hadasa

Post Sat, Mar 21 2009, 5:10 pm
We usually decide either during labor, choosing a boy's and a girl's name, or right after the birth. Once, after the baby was born and we'd decided, dh wanted to change it, but I didn't want to, so I told him to ask his Mashpia and I'd go along with the decision. His Mashpia said once you've decided it's preferable not to change, so we stuck with the first choice, to my relief.

freidasima

Post Sat, Mar 21 2009, 5:31 pm
Wow, waiting until birth? We decided on names when we got married, then added as relatives died along the way. One dd had her second name for my mother's good friend who died suddenly when I was 6 months pg, she had no children. All others were family. Still have a few names left but the kids will have to give them if they want to...

hadasa

Post Sat, Mar 21 2009, 5:41 pm
Since most of our names are Chabad-date related, we can't make a final decision until we actually know when it'll be born. For recently deceased relatives it is different. We are planning b"n on naming the next boy (if we have one... ) for a particular relative, no matter when he'll be born.

baba

Post Sat, Mar 21 2009, 5:44 pm
We're procastinators. I had to practically force dh to sit down with me and think of names. By the time I gave birth we narrowed it down less than ten and kept taking some off till we were left with only a few and then only one...
With dd nr 1 we knew it was a girl and dh had a great name that just stuck with us the whole pregnancy.

orchidmom

Post Sat, Mar 21 2009, 5:52 pm
we added a name at the last minute.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names