Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
What else can I do besides for waxing?

familyfirst

Post Sat, Feb 07 2009, 10:27 pm
I took my fourteen year old daughter to have her eyebrows done, as well as her mustache. One week later it's obviously growing back in (and quickly!)

Personally, I am not a very hairy person and a waxing every few months in sufficient. For my daughter, this is not so.

What are my options? Any place in Boro Park that you would recommend? I don't want to do anything too permanent but something that lasts longer than the waxing. Also, how much would such a treatment cost?

Thanks. I'm clueless.

amother

Post Sat, Feb 07 2009, 10:48 pm
always get her eyebrows done, trust me on this one. if strays start growing in, you can just pluck them.

as for the mustache, you can do it at home, its easy and you cant really screw up. get a home kit for the face. you can do this every week, doesnt take long.

there is also nair or neet, its a cream you put on and the hair dissolves from face. I think the wax is better because its more natural.

Raisin

Post Sun, Feb 08 2009, 4:27 am
I used to bleach my mustache. eyebrows maybe she can get waxed every few weeks and get good tweezers and you or her can tweeze in between.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 08 2009, 4:48 am
I have a braun epilady type thing with a tip to do facial areas. I use it on my mustache and "peyos" every few days (I am embarrassed hairy).

amother

Post Sun, Feb 08 2009, 4:55 am
Tough question, I have her same problem, waxing lip and after a week, grows back, I tried the at home kits and bleaching, they didn't work for me, when I can I will try to save money for laser..

amother

Post Sun, Feb 08 2009, 1:29 pm
My friend did laser on her face. You have to shave the area before treatment, and for her the laser did not work. Since she was shaving it for the treatments, her facial hair situation is worse than before.
I plan to do electrolysis when I can afford it.

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Feb 08 2009, 6:01 pm
op, since you say you don't have this problem, have you mentioned this to your daughter's doctor? sometimes hairiness is a symptom of hormonal imbalance. you should have it checked, unless this runs in your husband's family or it runs in yours and you were lucky enough to miss that gene Smile

aside from that, why not just bleach the moustache if it's not bushy? it's easy to do. as for the eyebrows, buy a good tweezer and have your daughter try plucking the hairs as they come in. tell her to do it after a hot shower, it'll be less painful. and it'll only be a few hairs every time, no ripping out chunks along with the top layer of skin. if she doesn't like it you can get her a little eyebrow trimmer device. I've never used one, but I know people who love them.

RightOnTarget

Post Sun, Feb 08 2009, 6:23 pm
I did Laser as a girl on mustache. Worked wonders. Also been for waxing every week or so before that. It's expensive but in the long run, calculate how much weekly or bi-weekly waxings cost in regards to a couple of laser treatments do. It's not as they advertise that it disapears within 6 tratments but I only had to go between every half a year to a year past that.

Eye brows didn't wanna do since that shape would stay forever so I wax and tweeze.

I'd love to do laser in other spots (when I'll afford it). BTW it takes a few minutes and is relatively painless.

Jstar

Post Wed, Mar 25 2009, 4:52 pm
Laser is great, worked very well for me. It can be pricey but compared with a decade or two of waxing, you end up saving, plus it's permanent for most people, so you can just move on with your life and forget about the hassle of unwanted hairs.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 25 2009, 5:30 pm
You can also try threading. Its when someone takes reagular sewing thread loops it then twists and run it around the hairy areas. You can google threading or you tube it to watch how it is done. Very clean, inexpensive and can be done at home.

orchidmom

Post Wed, Mar 25 2009, 5:58 pm
threading is great with a nice neat result.
but if you can afford laser for her upper lip, maybe go for that as it will save her a lot of aggravation in the future, just make sure you research the place you go to well.

momomany

Post Wed, Mar 25 2009, 6:29 pm
I don't have a major problem, just a bit of extra hairs on my lip (ok-a faint mustache) & not terribly neat brows. As a teen-manymany years ago, I started jolen wax on my stache & tweezing my eyebrows. I progressed to professional tweezing (brows) & then waxing both areas. I also sporadically used neet and/or nair. I then alternated between threading & home microwave waxing & tweezing. The stache definitely worsened with age. I get pimples from the professional waxing, less so from threading and home waxing. I finally got sick off all of this & started laser on my lip & electrolysis on my brows. After maybe 3 lasers on my lip, I now do electrolysis only. It takes time, but is not too pricey, because there r not too many hairs left. My only probl is that my ob wont let me do it now, so I haven't done it since november & I need to keep trimming the strays. just sharing my experience.

anonymom

Post Wed, Mar 25 2009, 6:38 pm
What is the advantage of threading over tweezing? It sounds impossibly tedious.

momomany

Post Wed, Mar 25 2009, 6:45 pm
not tedious at all - they twist & slide the thread pretty quickly & it pulls the hairs, sort of an epilady concept. threading caused me less irritation then waxing & works quicker then tweezing which is one hair at a time

SingALong

Post Wed, Mar 25 2009, 7:59 pm
I did electrolysis on my upper lip as a girl, went every few weeks for a couple of years, worked wonders.

I strated getting chin hair by my pregnancies and NOTHING seems to get rid of it. waxing I need to go every week. so I started electrolysis which works much better, I only need to go every few weeks, but it is so painful I cant tolerate it. I use the creams and everything, but its still unbearable torture.

if your DD can stand the pain, or if the nimbing creams works for her, then electrolysis might be a good choice, as its more permanent.

octopus

Post Wed, Mar 25 2009, 9:09 pm
I would not recommend bleaching. So a white mustache is better than a dark one? no way! it's still noticeable!

amother

Post Thu, Mar 26 2009, 12:39 am
you can wax at home, as often as you need to.
unfortunately, I have this problem too and am too embaressed to get it done, so I do it myself. its easy and quick, you can start doing it for her, and then teach her to do it herself eventually.

or, if I could, I would watch how they thread, then do it to her.

eyebrows are a different story-- get them shaped, then show her where to pluck them. she can learn to maintain it and if it gets bad, take her to get them done.

ss321

Post Thu, Mar 26 2009, 4:43 am
mummiedearest wrote:
op, since you say you don't have this problem, have you mentioned this to your daughter's doctor? sometimes hairiness is a symptom of hormonal imbalance. you should have it checked, unless this runs in your husband's family or it runs in yours and you were lucky enough to miss that gene Smile

I second this OP
even if its nothing, its worth getting checked out, JUST IN CASE!! Smile

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Mar 26 2009, 8:00 am
threading hurts a lot and the skin is red afterwards. my daughter likes it but for me, I'd rather wax or shave, depending on the body part in question.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette