Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Loneliness, basically

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Feb 05 2006, 3:43 pm
I work full time, in a Shomer Shabbos office, with a mix of different kinds of people.

I was close to a young girl, who came to the job as her first out of school. She proceeded to meet her bashert, get married, have baby #1 (then started to work shorter hours) than baby #2 and only comes in three days a week.

When she's in, she's busy. She doesn't take the time/or have the time to be social anymore. Anyway, she doesn't "need" me; she has a large extended family. I am lonely (one kids learning out of town, the other is an older teen with her own agenda, husband has his job, shiurim, and exercise schedule).

To be perfectly honest, the times I do get out are to shul on Shabbos - not social; and to shiurim - also not social.

I could use a friend, and most of mine are either running, running - to a houseful of kids BH, or other responsibilities. Yes, I get to weddings (where the music is too loud to talk), brissin (in and out), do my own shopping (where people say hello since they're usually late for something or are yapping away on their cell phones).

What do you all suggest? I have no time or interest to sit on the phone at night. Most nights I go on the bike, anyway. I don't want all my social interactions to be online, but it seems like it is, lately........

Thanks!

smily

Post Sun, Feb 05 2006, 4:21 pm
Maybe you can volonteer with any mosed in C.H. That would give you another exposure and new contacts while doing a Mitzvah too.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Feb 05 2006, 4:32 pm
Well, as I said, time is limited. I DID call the Chevra Kadisha but they said you have to be past menopause...which I'm not, yet...

smily

Post Sun, Feb 05 2006, 4:37 pm
Keep thinking, you will come up with an idea that isn't too time consuming.Maybe you can find someone like you who needs a friend. Could you get a learning chavrusa on the phone? etc. etc.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Feb 05 2006, 4:39 pm
I do have a lot of older, single women friends.

They're not SUCH close friends, I guess being in such a different place than I am, but I guess I don't really have the time to be a friend - it takes time and work.

They're more like acquaintences. I guess there's nothing wrong with that.........

Thanks for your thought, though.

AweSumThenSum

Post Sat, Feb 11 2006, 8:45 pm
sarah, I'm available. pm me for more details. also, if ure the social type, maybe u can organize a bi=monthly meeting for some of ur friends so that at least u get out twice a month. or u can join the local "y" for social activities.

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Feb 11 2006, 8:52 pm
Hey, whynot! Want to post the details for everyone?

AweSumThenSum

Post Sat, Feb 11 2006, 8:55 pm
u want details? I wont publish my tel # or email address for e/o to see, but feel free to pm me and I'll give them to u.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics