Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Anyone else not have pesach dishes?
1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Tue, Mar 31 2009, 4:15 pm
Its not like I'm newly married, far from it. It also isn't like I haven't made pesach most of those years. It's just that with all the expenses of pesach by the time we get matza, food and the basics there is never money left for dishes. And dh insists on using his father's decrepit horrible looking seder plate. It has space for 3 matzas underneath, but it doesnt fit todays hand matzas! The space is too small. All in all my seder table is pathetic looking every year. It is making me sad. Sad

And if you are wondering why I didn't get dishes when I got married I am a geyores, we did it all on our own.

Raisin

Post Tue, Mar 31 2009, 4:19 pm
I don't either. we make a huge public seder the first night and a biggish seder the second night (20 or 30 people) so it would be too expensive to buy china for that. plus washing up is a big job. so we get nice paperware.

I don't think anyone gets pesach dishes when they get married. most people buy when they make pesach for the first time.

chaylizi

Post Tue, Mar 31 2009, 4:20 pm
I have pots and three sets of silverware and other miscellaneous utensils, but no dishes. don't feel bad. stocking up on pesach belongings takes several years.

imasinger

Post Tue, Mar 31 2009, 4:21 pm
Aw, I'm sorry you're sad! Pesach should be a time of such joy!

I have a setting for 8, so I don't have enough pretty china for our guests. I've taken to buying really nice paper or plastic, which is much more affordable in the short term, and can look quite pretty. Would that be a possibility for you?

In any case, what will make your table special is not available for purchase. If you can bring your own passion and joy to the experience, that is what your guests (and your family) will remember the most.

Raisin

Post Tue, Mar 31 2009, 4:22 pm
kikavu wrote:
I have pots and three sets of silverware and other miscellaneous utensils, but no dishes. don't feel bad. stocking up on pesach belongings takes several years.

I have more pots and equipment for pesach then for the rest of the year. and cutlery.

why not buy one item this year - say dinner plates, in white so you can match them and then get more next year.

or, buy during the year (in the sales) and put aside for pesach.

Raisin

Post Tue, Mar 31 2009, 4:25 pm
I think some people get a little hung up on the china. I know a family who will have no more then 12 people at the seder, becasue they have china for 12. well in my hagada it says "all who are hungry come and eat" not "you must have exquisite china or you are not keeping pesach properly."

debs123

Post Tue, Mar 31 2009, 4:34 pm
I felt the way you do about real dishes so bought really inexpensive nice looking dishes one year. I don't think they'd qualify as china - but they're a good imitation. Either way - just enjoy your pesach!!

Barbara

Post Tue, Mar 31 2009, 4:35 pm
My dad's a Levi, my mom's dad was a Kohen, and no one told US about all of these things we were supposed to get when we got married. Pesach dishes????

I actually do own Pesach dishes, but they're stoneware, purchsed at an off-price store. I'd find it ridiculous to spend hundreds of dollars on china that's going to be used one week out of the year. You can get Corelle for $30 or $40 a set. If you put away $2 a week, you could buy 2 (maybe even 3) sets next Pesach.

That said, we usually use paper on Pesach. Everyone we know uses paper on Pesach. Cleaning all of those dishes just doesn't make for a nice yom tov. One friend whose seder we often attend uses something like this:

http://www.partyatlewis.com/Me.....egant

catonmylap

Post Tue, Mar 31 2009, 4:35 pm
I have had Pesach dishes since before I got married.

Our milchig dishes & silverware are from my single days. It's only service for 4 (I think/or 6), but it's been adequate thus far.

Raisin

Post Tue, Mar 31 2009, 4:37 pm
catonmylap wrote:
I have had Pesach dishes since before I got married.

Our milchig dishes & silverware are from my single days. It's only service for 4 (I think/or 6), but it's been adequate thus far.

you made pesach before you were married?

Maya

Post Tue, Mar 31 2009, 4:40 pm
Barbara wrote:

I actually do own Pesach dishes, but they're stoneware, purchsed at an off-price store. I'd find it ridiculous to spend hundreds of dollars on china that's going to be used one week out of the year.

We have 4 plates and 2 mugs, also stoneware, purchased at a sample sale I saw in the city.

Chocoholic

Post Tue, Mar 31 2009, 4:46 pm
We have a set, something DH bought when he was single for when he'd get married. shock
We used it for the first time on our first pesach together. It's totally HIDEOUS, but it's practical to have. When we invite ppl I excuse for the hideous dishes. It seems to be kind of acceptable to have hideous pesach dishes...

Maybe you can set aside a little of your maaser money every month and check sales at dept stores, also sometimes there are outlets with HUGE sales and buy withing the normal year a set of dishes for a fraction of the price so next pesach you can have those if mashiach hasn't come.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Mar 31 2009, 4:50 pm
Being a poor kallah, I had two showers and immediately put away some things for Pesach. And I keep it in mind the whole year.

nicole81

Post Tue, Mar 31 2009, 4:54 pm
I have a set, but it was totally by accident.

we ordered shabbos china off of amazon... a beautiful and highly discounted mikasa set. we never had the opportunity to use it so when pesach came around, we decided to use it for the seder and then keep it for year round use.

well after pesach the dishes were washed and dried I put them away in an empty cabinet we had with the full intentions of using them for shabbos. an entire year passed and I still didn't use them! so we had them for pesach yet again. after the third year this happened we just decided to keep them for pesach altogether.

for year round I'm looking to purchase corelle. that might be a good option for you for pesach.

shosh

Post Tue, Mar 31 2009, 5:00 pm
A cousin of mine bought us a beautiful set for Pesach, and we used it for years till the family grew and dxh got fed up with having Seder guests. Then he instituted this radical idea that I still follow - and you can feel free to say I'm bananas if you like. I don't do my kitchen for Pesach. I close it off and sell it. And then I do without a kitchen for the entire week. I prepare all food in the living room, where I move the fridge. The dishes are stored on the table and on several shelves of the bookcase that are cleaned and covered for that purpose. I have an electric stovetop that I set up. The vegetables are either dumped in my room or the spare room. It's bearable for a week. The only drawback is washing up. There is a tap in my yard that I use, but no sink. So I end up setting up bowls and pouring out the water down the drain or in the garden. My neighbours think I'm barmy, but then they know I'm mad anyway so I've stopped caring. And every year, I think about doing the kitchen over and then decide it's just too much for me on my own and that I couldn't handle kashering the sinks. Or I say I'll get a covered sink unit put outside next to the tap in the yard. And then it never happens. As washing up is such a big business, I NEVER use the china at all. It's disposable everything and then I'only need to wash up the saucepans and the sharp knives and peelers. Which is just as well as we follow the Chabad minhag of putting away stuff that falls on the floor ...

So the china dishes stay where they are, and we are crazy! Oh well ...

cm

Post Tue, Mar 31 2009, 5:02 pm
I'm sorry you don't feel good about your Pesach table. I too purchased inexpensive stoneware from a discount store. If I recall correctly, they were about $20 for service for eight - probably less than some people spend on disposables! Now I wish I bought attractive and lightweight Corelle-type dishes; nicer designs have become available and they are lighter than stoneware. I always used disposables pre-marriage, but when I started making larger seders I didn't like creating so much trash. We rarely use paper plates during the year for that reason. Still, when we have several meals in a row, we use disposables part of the time to avoid having to wash up so much on Yom Tov/Shabbat. I'm sure you'll come up with a solution for your table; keep your eyes open for sales and look at off-price stores during the year - you never know what you might find!

cm

Post Tue, Mar 31 2009, 5:11 pm
Raisin wrote:

Between going away to college and getting married, I made Pesach eight times...what was I supposed to do, starve? I also moved seven times in college (including summer sublets). When a neighbor offered to give me advice for kashering the kitchen when I was a newlywed, I had to smile!

Raisin

Post Tue, Mar 31 2009, 5:14 pm
cm wrote:
Raisin wrote:

Between going away to college and getting married, I made Pesach eight times...what was I supposed to do, starve? I also moved seven times in college (including summer sublets). When a neighbor offered to give me advice for kashering the kitchen when I was a newlywed, I had to smile!

well, I can understand a single having pesach dishes, but to actually own pesach china?

did you invite guests over for pesach when you were single? (I know students who do that but they are not frum and I doubt they kasher their kitchen and buy seperate china)

Pickle Lady

Post Tue, Mar 31 2009, 5:22 pm
cm wrote:
Raisin wrote:

Also there are women married for 15 years and 10 kids and they still haven't made pesach on their own.

catonmylap

Post Tue, Mar 31 2009, 5:24 pm
Raisin wrote:
cm wrote:
Raisin wrote:

well, I can understand a single having pesach dishes, but to actually own pesach china?

did you invite guests over for pesach when you were single? (I know students who do that but they are not frum and I doubt they kasher their kitchen and buy seperate china)

I made aliya by myself. I only went home one year. I went away for seder but was in my apartment for chol hamoed.

The dishes aren't china. they are stoneware. I don't remember how much they were--not more than 100 shekels.

we have a set of shabbos dishes from my single days as well.

we don't own a set of real china or real silverware at all for year round or pesach ...we have porcelin & corelle & stainless steel..
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics