Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Anyone else not have pesach dishes?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

TzenaRena

Post Tue, Mar 31 2009, 5:34 pm
My mother once bought us a beautiful set on sale, but we took too long to pick it up from her basement, and in the interim, someone broke in, and stole it. Sad But we have some nice crystal bowls and plates that were my MIL's obm, we bought simple wine glasses, and have some crystal wine bottles and platters we received as gifts. and we have our original simple white earthenware dishes that we bought as newlyweds.
However, we find the plastic ware more practical, so don't really feel the need to rush out and get china.

The plastic ware from Simcha Collection, dining collection look very nice and festive.

cm

Post Tue, Mar 31 2009, 5:35 pm
Raisin wrote:

well, I can understand a single having pesach dishes, but to actually own pesach china?

did you invite guests over for pesach when you were single? (I know students who do that but they are not frum and I doubt they kasher their kitchen and buy seperate china)

I don't know many people, married or single, who have fancy Pesach china. Perhaps expectations vary in different communities.

When I was in college, yes, those of us who lived off-campus hosted guests. There was a small but active frum community, and we had a great time. As I noted above, I used disposables at that time, but generally prefer not to. I married shortly after grad school, so I don't have many tales of the single world for you.

QUEENY

Post Tue, Mar 31 2009, 5:51 pm
I have been making Pesach for the past 8 yrs.. This is the first year I finally don't have to buy any pots or other kitchen utensils. Every year I've been buying a little here and there and borrowing from my mom. I never bought dishes, I use plastic since I have so much company and b'h alot of kids over. I don't miss it at all.

MidwestMommy

Post Tue, Mar 31 2009, 6:01 pm
Costco has some nice looking plastic-y dishes. I think they come in a set of large plates and small ones. They are actually very pretty. They also have fake silverwear that looks pretty real. Smile Anyway, that's what we use!

sky

Post Tue, Mar 31 2009, 7:43 pm
My mother one year bought a set of dishes at Value City. I think it included absolutely every possible piece you could use. It was about $20 for service for 12. She bought 2 boxes. Some were damaged but she probably got 20 good sets out of it all. It is gorgeous and makes the table look so nice.

mommy24

Post Tue, Mar 31 2009, 8:23 pm
MidwestMommy wrote:
Costco has some nice looking plastic-y dishes. I think they come in a set of large plates and small ones. They are actually very pretty. They also have fake silverwear that looks pretty real. Smile Anyway, that's what we use!

this is what we use, it looks like chona but disposable- plus its a heavy plastic so can hold a lot of food. who wants to wash so many dishes and silverware after a seder.

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Tue, Mar 31 2009, 9:13 pm
I have a gorgeous set of dishes that I bought after Xmas... on ridiculous clearance. White china with gold rim. Not high quality but pretty and functional. Set of 4 was $5 so I bought 5 sets. I like to make seder on real dishes, after all we're like royalty. Washing up can wait for the morning.

We also bought Pesach crystal glasses at a Mikasa outlet.

We got DH's parents old silver, which unfortunately is only serving for 6, but hey, its silver, so I'm not complaining.

Anyway, the best time to get dishes is not 1 week before Pesach when you're already busy... wait till after YT and keep an eye out for something you'd like for the next year.

red sea

Post Tue, Mar 31 2009, 9:16 pm
I do not have real dishes on purpose, although its nice - 1) storage space is limited and 2) my idea of a nice yom tov does not involve days and nights of washing dishes.

mo5

Post Tue, Mar 31 2009, 11:20 pm
When I started making a seder, I bought nice (inexpensive) glasses & Tablcloths. Put that out, with your candlesticks and already the tables look nice. (I don't set my 'beautiful' plastic disposables until after matzah/maror/korech mess!) Put a nice vase with some flowers and you have a beautiful yom tov table. In time I've added some nice serving pieces, but we still use plastic.
Best time to buy things is in the post-kratzmach sales. We knew we were starting to mkae Pesach properly and went around to buy the things we needed thn.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 01 2009, 12:05 am
We've been through 4 years of Pesach, with no Pesach dishes set in sight. The truth is that this will be the first year that we are staying home for meals, but still, we will not buy dishes right now.
I will try to buy clear plastic plates for the Seder, but I don't know if I'll have the extra time (and money.)
I feel for you amother. L'shanah Habba'ah B'yerushalayim!

And I love mo5's ideas for preparing a Pesach Seder table beautifully... even with disposables! I will keep them in mind when setting my own Seder be"H.

hila

Post Wed, Apr 01 2009, 12:57 am
I have been making Pesach for more years than some of you are alive.. and have collected all sorts of dishes over the years.
My favourites are my grandmother's fleishic dishes which my mother gave me whens he decided to move into a retirement home 4 years ago.
They are bone china, flowery dishes and we love them. It is a real pain to wash them every time ( soup cup dishes with handles on saucers) but they are beautiful.
It makes pesach special, and even tho we dont ahve a dishwasher (except for dh and dc's LOL ) I would not use plastic instead.
There is a custom to use the best, especially for seder, so out they come every year.

Till I got them I had a stone ware set (Wembley market cheapo) which I bought when I made aliya.

Marion

Post Wed, Apr 01 2009, 12:59 am
I owned a milchig set (melamine, not china, but I like it) for 8 since I was single. It hadn't arrived by the time I made my first Pesach in Israel (I was still single, BTW), so that year I bought what I needed to prepare and served on disposable. Got so much cutlery/flatware when we got married that I was set for Pesach (could use a 2nd set for milchig, as I have 8 placesettings but flatware for 6). Fleishig placesettings I bought 2 years ago (in a pattern I don't like, but they were cheap!) for 90 shekel for settings for 12. One day maybe I'll buy some I do like, but for now it works. And it's only for a week.

Mishie

Post Wed, Apr 01 2009, 1:48 am
OP, don't feel bad.
We're married 12 years now. Have been making Pesach for years, and still don't own Pesach dishes.
I have a couple of pots (diff. sizes) and frying pans.
a bunch of large bowls (for placing peeled veggies), and containers.
Oh, I do have a set of silverwear for each dairy and meat.
but, for dishes we just use disposable. It's really no big deal.
You can buy really nice ones for the Yomtov meals, and plain ones for during the week.

and, think about it: after working so hard the week(s) before Pesach, you need a break from standing by the sink and washing dishes!!!

chanchy123

Post Wed, Apr 01 2009, 2:18 am
How about buying a set when you see a nice one on sale and just keep it put away for next year.
We haven't made seder yet and haven't been home for chag shabbat on Pesach but will be home for Shvii shel Pesach this year. When we bought our china (real cheap but pretty Israeli brand china) we got three identical sets of six. We only toveled one and used only it, then we discovered that we need more, so we toveled the next box. The third box will be used for Pesach this year and until it is called "into service" for year round.
We've only bought cutlery this week for Pesach (cheap from the supermarket) and will use disposable for milchig throughout chag.
You can find really nice disposable stuff. Or buy cheap cheap sets of dishes not just before Pesach, doesn't have to be bone china. Alot of the cheap stuff actually looks very nice.
BTW I agree with raisin most people I know buy Pesach stuff as needed and collect gradually with the years.

shalhevet

Post Wed, Apr 01 2009, 2:39 am
I seem to be missing something here - I don't think I know what china is. embarrassed When I saw this thread title I thought it was really strange that people don't have dishes - in Israel you can buy a cheap set of 6 for maybe 50-80 shekels, especially when there are specials before Pesach. And a very nice set certainly less than 150 shekels.

We made Pesach from our first year married and bought a nice set then for flaishig - white with gold rims which is easy to match something similar, even if not exactly the same. And something more simple - just plain white, but pretty, for milchig.

Using nice disposables is very expensive - I'm sure over one Pesach it can add up to more than buying a 12 piece service.

There is also an inyan on YT, especially on seder night, to use beautiful dishes, and I think disposables (or certainly the cheapo ones we could afford) might not qualify. Of course there are other considerations, and some women might need the help of using paper. But I think honouring YT with nice (no one said wildly expensive) dishes should also be taken into consideration.

tm

Post Wed, Apr 01 2009, 3:04 am
I haven't made seder yet but I don't have pesach dishes either .for yom tov last year we used ugly disposable but this year I decided to get some nicer stuff the actual yom tov meals. I really don't have room to store another set of china- besides for the expense. I'm still building up my pot/pan supply... and I don't have real silverware for milchig either, just for fleishig and it's only service for 4 or 6 (I don't remember)

Tamiri

Post Wed, Apr 01 2009, 3:05 am
shalhevet wrote:
I seem to be missing something here - I don't think I know what china is. embarrassed .
China is what you register for when you are engaged, and pay for by the piece. In Israel it's so easy to buy cheapo charsina sets around Pesach time, which look nice on the table, are sturdier than plastic and certainly less expesive. The problem for some people is storage. We have had both meat and dairy Pesach since we were married (this is the 26th year) and haven't used much paper over the years. However, if you are making a Seder for many people, paper really is the best way to go. Clean-up is sooo much simpler.

amother

Post Wed, Apr 01 2009, 5:31 am
Thanks for the chizuk and support everyone!I'm feeling better.

Mishie wrote:
OP, don't feel bad.
We're married 12 years now. Have been making Pesach for years, and still don't own Pesach dishes.

I have been married longer and made pesach since the beginning. LOL
Thank you for your post.

amother

Post Wed, Apr 01 2009, 5:37 am
shalhevet wrote:
I seem to be missing something here - I don't think I know what china is. embarrassed When I saw this thread title I thought it was really strange that people don't have dishes - in Israel you can buy a cheap set of 6 for maybe 50-80 shekels, especially when there are specials before Pesach. And a very nice set certainly less than 150 shekels.

OP here , also above
I didn't mention china. Sorry you think it strange, that I don't own dishes.

Quote:
We made Pesach from our first year married and bought a nice set then for flaishig - white with gold rims which is easy to match something similar, even if not exactly the same. And something more simple - just plain white, but pretty, for milchig.

Using nice disposables is very expensive - I'm sure over one Pesach it can add up to more than buying a 12 piece service.

There is also an inyan on YT, especially on seder night, to use beautiful dishes, and I think disposables (or certainly the cheapo ones we could afford) might not qualify. Of course there are other considerations, and some women might need the help of using paper. But I think honouring YT with nice (no one said wildly expensive) dishes should also be taken into consideration.
We don't use fancy disposables, just regular ones.I guess we really don't fulfill the inyan. embarrassed gee, thanks for making me feel good.

mummy-bh

Post Wed, Apr 01 2009, 6:06 am
I`m making my 12th pesach this year. we are 10 ppl plus my MIL who eats most meals with us, plus my parents and various guests. I only own 6 settings in china, which we only ever bring out for the sedarim. the rest of the time I use plain white plastic or styrofoam (not paper as it is coated with starch). we are chabad and keep the chumra of not using something that dropped on the floor until the following year, and we wash up immediately following the use of anything that was on the table.

Disposables are my simchas yomtov!

(I do however own loads of enormous pots and pans, though!)
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics